STI Driver Radar Detector

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
The Beltronics STI Driver is my first radar detector. I bought it because it can't be detected (not that I would use it in Virginia :sneaky2:). I installed the unit in my tank bag but I plan to relocate it above the front wheel under the fairing so it can have a clear view to lasers. One problem is that the unit is not waterproof as it is designed for the inside of a car. So any mounting would need to be pretty weather proof. I have a zip lock bag in the tank bag just in case i get caught in a real serious down pour.

I am using bike power with the remote mute/warning module hidden just above the instrument cluster. I get audible warnings from the unit through an AutoCom Logic unit. I plugged it into the aux input on the AutoCom. (see this thread if you want to know more about the install https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/145823-more-electrical-upgrades.html and here https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/145473-pc8-install.html)

The Beltronics unit is a hefty package. It has a metal case and feels like a solid block of metal. I took the case apart to see if it was possible to maybe remote mount the laser receptor units but that's a non-starter for all but the most skilled jadgeteers. Much too complicated (and expensive) to mess with.

All works as advertised and it powers up when the bike key is turned on. The STI Driver configures itself and is ready to go after a couple video machine sounding beeps. The unit can do a bunch of neat tricks (requires programming) but also you can just turn it on, which is what I did being a RD novice. That's pretty much it - couldn't be easier.

I live in the suburbs right on the edge of town before it turns to open country roads. I didn't get many hits but 2 of the 3 hits were unidentified (that means maybe false alarms) . The third was a cop that was coming up behind me that I didn't see until I got to the stop light and he rolled up beside me! He must have seen me hit the brakes when he popped on his radar because he was looking me over good but there is no evidence of radar on the bike. All good so far.

Out on the road I got more false alarms but a few good hits too. Once I was cruising around 85 when I got a hit. I slowed down and sure enough when I crested the hill there was a cop sitting in the trees. Maybe I got the dang thing half paid for already I thought.:beerchug:

I rode through downtown Norfolk, which is a smallish city but there are a few tall buildings. There was a fair amount of clicks and pops coming from the STI but there were also lots of cops around, so who knows whether or not they were good hits.

The unit clicks and buzzes differently depending on the threat (K-band, etc.) but it will take some time to memorize what all the different tones mean (the list is 2 pages in the manual). Basically if it beeps at you slow down for us simple guys. I was surprised at how early it warned me though, there was plenty time to slow down without pulling a stoppie!

To be honest, I have never gotten a ticket on a motorcycle (knock on wood). Part of the reason is I am extremely lucky with cops. I was stopped once plopping the front end down from a wheelie and I was let go because i was playing on a back road that nobody travels. I was stopped once going nearly 100 mph and the cop wanted to know what kind of bike it was because he was thinking of getting rid of his HD and wanted something "more fun". But on the other hand most of my riding inthe last couple years has been with friends who always ride with RD's, so maybe they have saved me.

Whatever, it feels really great when the RD starts singing and then you locate the cop. It's one of those things that makes you feel like the bike is really sorted out and setup properly. I can't say I recommend the STI Driver as a you must go out and get one sort of mod. But I think I am going to become real attached to it now that it's a part of my setup.:agree:

one of the best premium units out there...lots of very good reviews (holds the record for farthest detection range of 12 miles in its PRICE RANGE. NOTE: done on flat desert terrain)

Glad it's working for you, what tank bag are you using that will accomodate the RD?

Glad it's working for you, what tank bag are you using that will accomodate the RD?

It's a mini joe rocket. Small enough to stay out of the way but holds RD, IPOD, cell phone, towel, visor spray, & baseball hat. Still has room for wallet, keys & sun glasses!

Sorry fo rthe bad pictures

In Bag.jpg

Left side.jpg

3rd time.I've clicked this thread thinkin it was about Subaru's....
Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

Back