Whistler radar detector installation

mikeman

Registered
Just bought the Crusader Whistler motorcycle radar laser detector.Need advice on mounting.Having trouble deciding where to put the pick up detector. One person suggested to mount it under the front of the fairing under the light.But I an afraid if my front end bottomed out it would crush the detector,fender and fairing.Need some creative ideas on radar installation.

The only way the front will bottom out and crush the unit is if it's lowered severely, or you have backed off all of the preload.

The Busa has about 4in of travel on the front. It should be set near the middle (2in) for proper sag. That should leave more than an inch of clearance for the detector module to be mounted there. If in doubt you can mount it on the inside edge of the fairing on one side (parallel with the wheel).

The Busa has lots of room to mount goodies. You just need to look around.

Welcome to the org. Pics please. :)

+1 on the V1. I keep it in the map pocket on top of my tank bag.

How well does it work in there? Just curious I read the manual when I got a V1 and it says for best results it needs a clear view front & back through the clear portion of the windshield (referring to cars). I'm wondering if I get a stem stand, how well it will work through the dark tinted DB screen. Wonder how much it degrades the sensing ability. Any thoughts?

P

. . . If in doubt you can mount it on the inside edge of the fairing on one side (parallel with the wheel).

The Busa has lots of room to mount goodies. You just need to look around.

Welcome to the org. Pics please. :)

A very good choice of locations. :whistle:

How well does it work in there? Just curious I read the manual when I got a V1 and it says for best results it needs a clear view front & back through the clear portion of the windshield (referring to cars). I'm wondering if I get a stem stand, how well it will work through the dark tinted DB screen. Wonder how much it degrades the sensing ability. Any thoughts?

P

On a bike the rear view doesn't matter. It's difficult to get a good radar reading from the back, and laser is a done deal without a jammer.

From the front it works very well. It has about the same visibility in the tank bag as it does in the windshield of my truck.

:beerchug:

"On a bike the rear view doesn't matter." WRONG! Its very helpful knowing where the bogie is. My V1 works well to the rear even just a few inches away from my tankbag. Any concealment will reduce the range of warning signals. Knowing sooner than later that you're being lit up can save you lots of $$$$$. Mine has saved me many times. Paid for itself over and over as well.

"On a bike the rear view doesn't matter." WRONG! Its very helpful knowing where the bogie is. My V1 works well to the rear even just a few inches away from my tankbag. Any concealment will reduce the range of warning signals. Knowing sooner than later that you're being lit up can save you lots of $$$$$. Mine has saved me many times. Paid for itself over and over as well.

Do you not know how radar works? I still get the warning from the rear. the radar signals will still get to the V1.

Are you transparent? That's the only way, short of mounting the V1 on the back of the bike that your mounting location will do anything better than mine will.

The rider blocks the rear view of what's behind the bike on most motorcycles. Unless you mount the radar detector in a manner that has a clear and unobstructed view of the area behind the bike, you will not have any better results than I do.

V1 = 7
WSP = 1 (laser from the rear while driving my Vette, and yes I detected it. I knew I had to pull over)

Sent in a question via their site about the detector being behind the dark windscreen. Here was the response I got:

Dear Sir:

Thanks for your email.

Radar can see through anything but metal, so this would work well for you. I would check out several different mount setups, including:

SAENG/TA, Sport Touring Accessories and www.aerostich.com

Also, Welcome to www.pelican.com Pelican™ Products - Manufacturer of high-impact, watertight equipment Protector™ Cases and safety approved, technically advanced flashlights makes a variety of waterproof cases as well.

Cordially,

Pete Kaufman
Sales Department

Also here are a few links on radar & laser and how it works pertaining to windshields & films/tint etc...

Ask Mike - Report #1

Ask Mike - Report #2

P

Good customer service huh? I've always just called Mike, and sometimes I got, who I think must be his wife. Both very knowledgable and willing to talk.

Back