Questions for those who travel long distance on your Busa

Sous

Donating Member
Registered
My wife and I are looking to ride to Anchorage, Alaska next summer. I am already starting to plan ahead and will be purchasing heated gear, luggage racks, etc.......

I have a basic question though that may save me a great deal of time in the planning phase.

1. How do you plan your route?
2. Do you use a special software program that you can set your range (150 miles) to and allow it to find gas stations along the way?
3. Do you use Google Maps and just find the gas stations and lodging along the way then set your GPS each day to that destination?

Ideally, I would like to set the GPS with all the waypoints (gas, lodging, etc) with it stored in it. Then, it would lead us step by step to each location so that we did not get stranded out of gas, or too tired.

Thanks for any input. I do not mind learning from the mistakes and experiences of others if it makes my life that much more enjoyable.

I usually use MS Streets and Trips. I'm gettign a bit fed up with the MS licensing BS that assumes everyone's a criminal and makes it a hastle for those who buy their stuff because they are afraid someone might make a copy.

I've started using Google maps, but it has some shortcomings.

By using Google Maps, you research individual gas stops and lodging? I see that being very time consuming. If this is what it takes, so be it. Although, if there is an easier way I am all ears.

Google Maps will locate gas, lodging, and food. It isn't all done automagically based on entering the distance between stops, but its al there. If you're GPS came with mapping software, I'd start there since it'll be easier to upload.

i don't plan much, i just roll and tell the Garmin to "find fuel" when i start running low, i sleep wherever i am which sometimes means stretching out under a bush in a rest area and catching a couple hours of sleep...i wouldn't recommend traveling like this with a spouse, you would probably end up divorced

You asked for opinions and experience on this stuff, here's mine......buy a Garmin Zumo 550 and make sure the geography of your trip is installed in the unit(easy to download/purchase from their site). Suddenly you've reduced your navigation time significantly (including the search for routes, food, lodging and fuel stops). That time can now be devoted to exploring, sightseeing and enjoying your travel partner! Raydog

ps...don't forget the importance of HID lights from Xenonking!

mt lassen ride 6-19-07008.JPG

Last edited:
Guess I'm lo tech, If I don't know where I'm going I'll mapquest it. When I'm hungry I stop and eat, when I get down to around a quarter tank I start looking for fuel, when I start getting tired I start looking for a motel / hotel.

Enjoy the trip sounds like fun. There's also several great sites that give advice on motorcycle trips. Not at home so I can't throw them your way.

I guess I'm a bit sadistic when it comes to planning my trips.

I map out the route in google maps, then I open Tyre (TYRE) and import the route. It converts it into a format that my TomTom can read and then I copy it onto the TomTom. Bam, all waypoints and routes fully loaded and ready to go.

Get a Garmin, it's easier and the included software is better.

Guess I'm lo tech, If I don't know where I'm going I'll mapquest it. When I'm hungry I stop and eat, when I get down to around a quarter tank I start looking for fuel, when I start getting tired I start looking for a motel / hotel.

Enjoy the trip sounds like fun. There's also several great sites that give advice on motorcycle trips. Not at home so I can't throw them your way.
+1..... just enjoy and be free

Sous - there are only two roads that go to Alaska, you can't get lost. Everyone you meet while riding up there is also traveling and all going the same direction.

If you want bit of adventure, ride the Top of the World Highway. Couple hundred miles of gravel, I thought it was awesome.

I was worried I'd be headed into a really cold climate. But low and behold, it's 20 hours of daylight. 11 o'clock at night and the sun's still up. It was befuddling. And cool. Everyone is up. It was never cold. Lots of rain though, I probably rode through a week of rain, at least.

I was worried about gas. So I carried 11 gallons of it with me. 2 extra jerry cans on the back seat. I had 400 mile range. Lo and behold. I needn't worry about gas, everyone is traveling, the gas stations were all based on the average range of a car, about 100 miles. Didn't need to carry gas at all.

Wrote about a book about the experience. Can read it here. :thumbsup:

Racing Daylight: A 10,000 Mile Journey.

All in all, just go.

That's perfect for almost all travel, I believe North to Alaska would be an exception to the "free spirit" approach. Just talked to a guy that has done it 3 times (on a 1200GS) and he said the worst thing to do is "be complacent" on such a megaride. Like Tim says, read a book written by one who's done it. And no, you don't have to use electronic navigation but I just love it for many reasons...and I'm just as much an "old school" traveler as anyone. Please document it and share with us later! Raydog

Thats how I roll :beerchug:

Back