First long distance ride...

wizeguy

Registered
Well, I did it.  I took my first long (this is subjective I know) trip on the beast.  I will admit I was a little intimadated at first but everything went very well.

I went to Mexico Beach, Fl from my house in Warner Robins, Ga.  The trip was 321 miles one way which took about 5.5 hours.  It only took about 2.5 hours before I realized that I need something in to form of a throttle rocker or something.  My wrist did get tired quicker than I thought it would.

What suprised me was that my back never became fatigued.  The Busa's size came in handy during the trip.  It allowed me to figure out several different riding positions that utilized different muscles, allowing others to rest.

With all this said though, I am going to have to invest in a different seat.  My ass was cuss'n at me after 5 hours on that stock torture device.  For this, I need ya'lls help.  I know there are several different seats out their.  I guess I would like a seat that would allow me to sit farther down into the bike and closer to the tank.

I have always loved that incredible thrust that is on tap with the busa but it really showed its advantages on this trip.  Being able to punch in and out of holes in traffic was a huge time saver.  Not to mention, the porche boxter that got its feelings hurt on the GA-FL parkway....stupid little german go-cart, MUWAHAHAHA  
devil.gif

Another thing I wanted to ask you guys is about luggage.  I just used a backpack this time being that my trip was only over-night but realized that if I had planned on staying longer, I would have needed more cargo room.  What do you guys suggest for luggage.  I would like to go with some soft luggage...tank bag and saddle bags.  I looked on the net and there are 3423524543 kinds of bags out there...which ones are good.

All in all, I was impressed in the big bike's capability to eat up milage without punishing me to much.  I will tell you what, there is nothing like riding the busa at 10 am along a coastal highway.  There is just something about a fast bike, sunshine, and a beach full of bikinis that will put a smile on your face.

My next planned trip is in the end of Sept and I deffinantly look forward to it.

<!--EDIT|wizeguy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123111136 -->

Good job on getting out there. The 'busa is a great distance tourer.

I don't know how much was in your backpack, but a tankbag might help with the wrist problems. I use a Joe Rocket bag which is pretty tall (about the height of the stock windscreen) that I can rest on while riding. I find myself spending most of my time with my elbows on my knees and my chest on the tankbag. With the Helibars and Protekk pegs, the bike's a lot more comfortable for long distance rides.

Congrats.

Carl

with the tankbag, I have found magnetic mount and strap mount. Is there a problem with the magnetic mounted ones becoming loose at speed?

with the tankbag, I have found magnetic mount and strap mount.  Is there a problem with the magnetic mounted ones becoming loose at speed?
The Joe Rocket Magnetic tankbag has a strap to attach it to the triple tree but I seldom use it. It's a problem when I need to fill up and it's a pain to get it around the tree without catching a cable. The last two trips, I ran a strap under the gas tank hinge and through the handle on the tankbag. It keeps the bag in the same position so I can lean on it.

As to does it move? Well, up to 160mph it's been rock solid
smile.gif

I've heard that a magnetic bag will stick to the tank even in an accident but I haven't had the privledge yet
smile.gif
I suspect it might also depend on how much/heavy the gear you packed though.

I've also heard that magnetic bags scratch the paint but that can be prevented. I use clear contact paper under my saddlebags to protect the paint and don't worry too much about it. There are also the clear removeable sheets of plastic you can try.

I have no experience with any other magnetic bags though.

Carl

smile.gif

Oh and look at the "Road Trip" thread at the bottom for pics of the JR bag I use. Like I said, it's level with the stock screen so it's out of the slipstream. Since it's not in the wind, I doubt it could be torn off at any speed.

Carl

I have a magnetic tank bag and I haven't had any problems with it when it is full at 90 to 95 mph. With it being behind the windscreen it is pretty well protected. One day when there were some heavy cross winds the bag moved around a lot, but didn't shift on the gas tank.

I have Nelson-Rigg tail bag and saddle bags. The fit seems good and the quality is good too.

I have a couple tank bags, but never use them or haven't used them yet. As for a seat, there is only one in my opinion and that is the Tobin seat. It gets you down into the tank just the way you are describing. There are lots of threads that discuss them on the board. Congrats on the long ride accomplishment!
biggrin.gif

Congrats on taking a step toward sport touring (on a real sport bike).
cool.gif

Look to Luggage Locker for the Tank Locker. It mounts to the gas cap ring, and doesn't mess up the paint on the tank.

Try the CorTech saddle bags and tail bag from Tour Master, or try the Nelson Rigg saddle bags.

All good stuff.

Back