Question for MC Restorers: rejuvenating rubber

AJAY

Registered
So I bought a pair of old 1972 Honda CB350 motorcycles, one with a title and one a parts bike. I had a 1969 CB350 when it wasn't all that old, so this is nostalgia city for me.

Anyway..... I've been stripping the good bike down and much of the old rubber parts are pretty hardened. Oval grommets for the side covers, rubber bushings, that sort of thing. I've been taking them out, washing them in water, and soaking in Armor All, which does seem to be helping.

But a thought just came to me. Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) has a special chemicals in it especially to keep the rubber seals in good condition. On the Miata forum I belong to, some folks even wipe down their hoses with ATF and keep them shiny this way. I was thinking it might be a good idea to soak my old rubber parts in ATF. Has anybody ever tried this?

Are there other good ideas for rejuvenating old rubber parts? Thanks, AJ

Can the Armor All - please. I would try brake fluid, it is designed to condition and maintain rubber. I use it on the outside of brake lines and vacuum lines and it has always made them last.
Bubba

Back