Question about changing sprocket and chain.

CraZyNOTRT

Registered
1st off things i learned while doing this.
1. battery powered dremel tool (10k rpm) takes a looong time to grind the rivit.(bought dremel 35k rpm much better)
2. DONT cut the chain before removing the front sprocket.
3. breaker bar would be nice to have.
4. some steps requires two people.
5. its a pain the the @ss to do this when its cold and foggy/drizzeling
6. put the spacer plates on the oposite side of the riviting tool/ crushes o rings, need new master link to replace rings

my question its it normal for the bike to be really stiff, after changing sprockets and chain out? does it just need to be broken in? its kinda hard to move like backing it up.

Should not be 'stiff' no break in required...slack is supposed to be .8"-1.2" :beerchug:

do you have the rear wheel straight?? all the spacers in and in the right place??

Last edited:
The tool I use just pushes the rivet out of the old chain. Never removed my front sprocket before breaking the chain ?

Good luck with it. Don't reach up and grab the clutch lever until you're finished.

The tool I use just pushes the rivet out of the old chain. Never removed my front sprocket before breaking the chain ?

Good luck with it. Don't reach up and grab the clutch lever until you're finished.

You need to bust the nut loose on the front sprocket...'before' you remove the chain.

correction scan reads instructions. :rofl:

:laugh: I like instruction with pictures. That way I know a thousand words were used. Cause we all know a picture is worth a thousand words.

thousand words.jpg

I just recently change my wheels and chain or er uh had them done.
I can tell you the minute they rolled it off the stand it was just like new. There was no stiffness or difficulty. Better check things. Don't want to be ridin' when you realize you FFFFFFd up !

well i figured out what i did wrong, the rear breaks was not put in its little slot on the swing arm, causing lots of drag on the breaks LOL

Back