Sprocket change/ chain length

K Wolf

Donating Member
Registered
Is there a formula to determine how many chain links are needed when sprocket size is changed?

yeah!..glad you asked that question. I want to go from a 42 rear to a 40.

hogger...

2 teeth down 2 links out. Unless you have the room to move the rear tire back.

Late reply. Also could use an Dremel. Master links come 2 ways. The clip type and rivet. I recommend the rivet. Tools can be bought or borrowed. Several rivet tools. Ranging in price for I think about 20 all the way up to ? 150. Got a good one from pitposse on ebay for about 40 or 50.

Late reply. Also could use an Dremel. Master links come 2 ways. The clip type and rivet. I recommend the rivet. Tools can be bought or borrowed. Several rivet tools. Ranging in price for I think about 20 all the way up to ? 150. Got a good one from  pitposse on ebay for about 40 or 50.
nah..gives me an excuse to put a new gold chain on it.

hogger...

Oh..I counted the links..112 without the master link...soooo..that should be 110 link chain huh?

Sound right.
Still gonna need a master link. Most chains are coming with the rivet type. Dont forget to get your hands on that rivet press.
Gold huh.
cool.gif

Down 2 in the front is huge. I wont mess with that one.
Sorry sure there is a pro who knows.

2 down in the front is not adviseable. The chain has to turn too hard to go around the sprocket causing all kinds of not good karma. Going Down i the front is the same as going up three on the rear as far as gear ratio is concerned. The smaller the front sprocket ( OR the larger the rear sprocket ) the faster out of the hole you can be. BUT your top end suffers. The taller the front ( More teeth ) and the smaller the rear the closer you get to a 1:1 ratio witht the tranny and the faster you can go top end. At least that's what i read in Cycle world once
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Just sharing
wink.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Back