sequence question

teamorion22

Registered
I am changing my chain and sprockets. I still need to buy a dremel. This is the order I think i need to get this done but i have never done this before so please help me
1. plastics are already off. remove front sprocket cover
2. break front sprocket loose. i do not have any air tools so i was thinking about sticking an old screwdriver b/t the teeth of the rear sprocket 2 stop it from moving 2 break the front loose
3. dremel the original master link rivets off
4. use chain tool to remove master link
5. remove rear tire and rear sprocket. install new sprockets
6. put new chain on and install masterlink with chain tool.

also is there a trick to getting new chain around the new sprockets. it probably ease. I have done several 'searches' but the information i have found is either on sprocket removal/changin or chain removal/changin. not both. I have all the tools/stands except the dremel. I feel pretty good about this my main question is about the order of breaking front loose, removing chain, and then rear tire
thanks
michael

Instead of the screwdriver deal, just put the bike in gear.
Other than that, I think you are on point with the rest.
good luck:thumbsup:

#2 may be tricky. Sometimes that nut is really on. I would get some help and have them hold the brakes on while you work on it. (put it in gear too) I don't like the scredriver idea myself.

Otherwise it sounds right.

first off stop...

invest in a 1/2 drive electric impact at Harbor freight.. not that expensive and just torquing that front nut off "could" do some serious damage. Make sure trans is in neutral as well. (do not want to hammer on gears either)

order of operation is not that big a deal but I would probably pull the front cover off first and do the cleaning work (no point polluting your new chain)

R&R rear sprocket
R&R Front sprocket
R&R Chain

on the chain after you break it, just wire one end of the new chain to the old and fish the new chain on while pulling the old one off..

yes put it in gear and hold the brakes other wise it will roll forward and could fall over, as for the chain, use the old master link to connect the new chain to the old, put the bike back in neutral and pull the old out and the new one around....

first off stop...

invest in a 1/2 drive electric impact at Harbor freight..

Those work well? I must look into one...

on the chain after you break it, just wire one end of the new chain to the old and fish the new chain on while pulling the old one off..

Great idea! Where were you when I did mine? :laugh:

first off stop...

invest in a 1/2 drive electric impact at Harbor freight.. not that expensive and just torquing that front nut off "could" do some serious damage. Make sure trans is in neutral as well. (do not want to hammer on gears either)

order of operation is not that big a deal but I would probably pull the front cover off first and do the cleaning work (no point polluting your new chain)

R&R rear sprocket
R&R Front sprocket
R&R Chain

He's right.
The very best way is an impact.
You need one anyway...... right?

thanks everyone. i do need one and I will purchase both a dremel and 1/2 drive electric impact. As far as wiring the new chain to the old do I do this before or after i change the sprockets? If I do this first i would have the new chain on the old sprockets then I could change the sprockets. is this ok?

since your changing both sprockets just remember to feed your new chain around your new front sprocket before you put the cover back on and you will be fine

I am changing my chain and sprockets. I still need to buy a dremel. This is the order I think i need to get this done but i have never done this before so please help me
1. plastics are already off. remove front sprocket cover
2. break front sprocket loose. i do not have any air tools so i was thinking about sticking an old screwdriver b/t the teeth of the rear sprocket 2 stop it from moving 2 break the front loose
3. dremel the original master link rivets off
4. use chain tool to remove master link
5. remove rear tire and rear sprocket. install new sprockets
6. put new chain on and install masterlink with chain tool.

also is there a trick to getting new chain around the new sprockets. it probably ease. I have done several 'searches' but the information i have found is either on sprocket removal/changin or chain removal/changin. not both. I have all the tools/stands except the dremel. I feel pretty good about this my main question is about the order of breaking front loose, removing chain, and then rear tire
thanks
michael

What year is your bike, and chain tools usually have a break, no dremel required

My '06 had an allen head bolt on the front sprocket and didn't require a cheater. Then with a 35mm socket the retaining nut came right off. No air tools and I'm a small guy.

You need to research how to's on here. From memory you remove and hang a resevoir and don't squeeze the clutch lever during the process.

my bike is an 07. I have taken the front cover off and done a little cleaning but i dont remember an allen head bolt but I'll check. I have done lots of research and i will do more. thanks again

The allen head is for the speed sensor. Remove allen bolt, then speed sensor will fall off. "Then" torque on front sprocket nut. :super:

The allen head is for the speed sensor. Remove allen bolt, then speed sensor will fall off. "Then" torque on front sprocket nut. :super:
+1 (and requires loctite on reassy) I am a big fan of loctite on all parts.. The manual does call for it here and on the sprocket nut as well..

Back