wierd chain question

jwest

Registered
ok after 35,000 miles i decided to buy a new chain and sprockets...heres where i just dont get it...lol...and the chain breaker / press comes with NO instructions...

after removing old chain i counted the links on the chain (every other)and got 56 link...for a total of 112 links..correct?

new chain was 120 links...i used chain pin tool removed extra links..added master link...back tire is removed...after learning the wrong way to rivet the master link i replaced rear tire and put chain on and when i went to see play in chain it went to the very back adjustment and was still hanging and not tight..

sooooo now i have to remove new master link and remove 2 links to get where i need it to work

even measured each chain link with old and new chain with caliper and no difference...

also sprockets are exact as origionals in size and teeth

so anyone know why new chain was longer with exact number of links...lol:lol:

and thiis isnt a i need to know type question just one that baffles me...

Are the links the same length? If not, you may have to change your sprockets too.

Any chance in the process you popped the chain off the front sprocket?

If you are going to remove the chain anyway, then I recommend that you lay the two chains together and see if there is a difference in length. I count the links, lay them together and then get someone else to verify that the length is the same... count many times, cut once!

I have 2 links on the way,1to use..one in case ,but with the tire on this time i measured to the last link that would not be to tight and found i had to remove 2 links,and i used a caliper to measure links on both new and old chains and no difference,

It is still on front sprocket

I went back into the garage many times,recounted,and recounted...

Not that its a big deal ,i just get a laugh when i come across things like this

I say hang both from the ceiling like prize winning marlin and see what's goin on, it would make.me.nuts till I figured it.

Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

When fitting the new chain with extra links ALWAYS FIT THE NEW CHAIN TO THE SPROCKETS (mounted to the hub and the output shaft)FIRST… BEFORE cutting the excess links off.
Push the rear wheel as far forward as possible and mark the links that need to go.
Grind the head of the pin and press out the pin and remove the links.
Insert the joining link and rivet over the pins with the correct tool.
Easy.
It’s a foolproof method so use it!
Thanks.
You’re welcome!

When fitting the new chain with extra links ALWAYS FIT THE NEW CHAIN TO THE SPROCKETS (mounted to the hub and the output shaft)FIRST… BEFORE cutting the excess links off.
Push the rear wheel as far forward as possible and mark the links that need to go.
Grind the head of the pin and press out the pin and remove the links.
Insert the joining link and rivet over the pins with the correct tool.
Easy.
It’s a foolproof method so use it!
Thanks.
You’re welcome!
Uh, Greg?

Are you pulling an @Rojo here and taking over the necro-posting?

This thread is from 2011 and the OP was last seen in 2014..................just sayin'

Back