question about battery

Thats funny, I have 6 bikes and a tractor hooked up, and NONE of my Batts are cooked. Like I said earlier, almost all my batt are 5+ yrs old. Those cheap azz ones from HF are a floating style and DO NOT cook your batt. My Busa is an '02, still has factory batt in it.Started today just fine (5 deg F).

no im not storing the bike over winter. no, the storage i was refering to is not one in my backyard that i can run an extension cord. yes the busa is brand new, (08). its not that the battering is having problem cranking the bike, it just that she doesnt turn as fast as a brand new battery would. i had the same thing happened to me on my 03 busa. it would start everytime, but it doesnt turn as fast as a brand new battery would. i bought a new battery and it was a like night/day difference. seen a solar charger that u can hang off the top of your storage before. anyone heard of it?

no im not storing the bike over winter. no, the storage i was refering to is not one in my backyard that i can run an extension cord. yes the busa is brand new, (08). its not that the battering is having problem cranking the bike, it just that she doesnt turn as fast as a brand new battery would. i had the same thing happened to me on my 03 busa. it would start everytime, but it doesnt turn as fast as a brand new battery would. i bought a new battery and it was a like night/day difference. seen a solar charger that u can hang off the top of your storage before. anyone heard of it?
Bring your bike home for a few hours once a month and charge the battery up with an automatic 2 amp charger. You won't have any more battery probs......at least till the battery actually wears out
winkold.gif

Thats funny, I have 6 bikes and a tractor hooked up, and NONE of my Batts are cooked. Like I said earlier, almost all my batt are 5+ yrs old. Those cheap azz ones from HF are a floating style and DO NOT cook your batt. My Busa is an '02, still has factory batt in it.Started today just fine (5 deg F).
Damn right!

I've also been using them for YEARS. Just picked up 2 more when I was in Habor Freight last month, they had them on sale again for $4.95. I have 4 running in the garage right now. For a Harbor Freight item they are surprisingly high quality right down to the instructions and schematics of the internals. Battery Tender is nothing but another overpriced overhyped "name brand".

Someone also mentioned the solar chargers. Harbor Freight has a medium size one they put on sale all the time for ~$12 bucks. It DOES work. It fully recharged a completely dead jump pack in less than a week. Down side is the charging circuit is built into the cigarette lighter adapter so you would need to buy or build a lighter socket with gator clips to hook to your bike battery. You can't just cut that lighter adapter off as you would have no regulation and backfeed causing the battery to drain at night.

I'd recommend the batt tender as well. Check around, EBAY might be your best bet. i just bought a new one for this winter. (My old one finally kicked the bucket)Get the 1.25amp one. Battery tender jr. Plug it in and leave it be. It'll do its own work. Dont forget to do your other winterizing things if your leaving the bike for a while.

sounds like the solar charger may be your only choice. Will the storage place allow you to have that sticking out though? I'm surprised they even allow a bike to be stored with it's "hazardous materials".

I guess if your thread explained all of the conditions involved this wouldn't have been a two page thread.
lurk.gif

Can you store it some where that does have an outlet in the event that they don't let you "store" something outside of the actual storage unit (solar unit)?

I've dealt with this subject extensively and here are a few things I know firsthand.

The battery left alone loses somewhere around 1-2% of its charge every day. After 10 days, the battery lost somewhere between 10% - 20% of its charge. If you have any alarm installed, this also drains the battery. For example, a famous Scorpio alarm draws at least 5ma (0.005A) without perimeter sensor activated, and about 8ma with perimeter sensor activated. To put it in perspective, 0.005A * 24 hours * 10 days = 1.2Ah, so for a 10Ah battery that's an additional 12% loss.

Now, when the battery is being charged by the bike's charging system, the charging current changes, but it could be anywhere from 0.2A - 1.0A. Let's assume the average of approximately 0.5A.

If you didn't ride the bike for a week, and depending on the presence of the alarm, you lost somewhere between 0.5Ah - 1.5Ah. In order to recover that loss (even assuming 100% efficiency of the charging process, and assuming the 0.5Ah average charging) you would need to ride somewhere between 1 hour - 1.5 hours. If you ride less than that (which is often the case, especially during cold season), you only replenished some of the loss. So, week after week your batter gets weaker and weaker, and many riders mistakenly blame it on the battery and go out an buy a new one.

Now that it's clear, it's not your battery, there are a few ways to go about it. First of all, if you don't know the actual state of your battery, it's like guessing in the dark. I recommend to everyone to buy this V-meter from RadioShack

pRS1C-2266673w345.jpg

and install it on your bike and connect directly to the battery. It draws less than 1mA and therefore can be connected to the battery all the time. I used my digital V-meter and calibrated it carefully so I know the exact marks for 12.6, 12.0, etc.

I observe it all the time, how the battery Voltage goes down starting from 12.6, and a day later 12.5, and by the end of the week 12.3. After a short ride it goes back to 12.5, and then continues the slide so a week later it's 12.1, and so on, and so forth.

Back to the main subject. Either take your bike home after the ride and charge it for a few hours with a simplest AC adaptor style charger to make sure the battery is 100% full when you put the bike back in storage.

I had a spare battery (which I though was bad for the same reasons I explained - LOL). So, to provide some light in the shed outside, I permanently installed it there together with one of those 12V emergency lights. I connected battery with one of those cheapo solar chargers, and set up the solar panel at the optimal angle. I've had it for months and the cheapo solar panel does the trick. The battery is always 100% charged. The few seconds a week I occasionally use the light in the shed is not important - too short time to put a drain on the battery. What I also determined by measuring the voltage and current of this solar panel is that it only produces meaningful current to charge the battery (more than 5 mA) when the entire surface of the panel is under direct sunlight (maximum I observed was 30+mA). So far over a period of a few months, the battery is 100% charged most of the time. Another words, a couple of hours of direct sunlight and not even every day is enough to maintain the battery level.

This would be your second option.

No need to go off here, but a "float" mode is in fact designed to cut off when the batter hits a target voltage. (there is a fundamental difference between a charger and a tender)

Factory battery in an 02? good for you but it is not very common and you store your bike outside?

Better "tender" type chargers actually cycle the battery up and down (much better than maintaining a static charge over long periods) this helps keep sulphate from building up (primary reason for battery failure)

just start it up every other day then and let it warm up to keep the battery charged...its really no big deal to pull the battery...2min job!!!
just starting the bike and letting it run isnt enough to charge the battery. It has to be ridden or the RPM's need to be over something like 2000 to 2500 RPM's for the bikes electrical system to actually start charging the battery. I bought a tender a year and a half ago and it has allowed me to keep my stock battery in my bike for 2.5 years. I'd say a battery tender is worth the price since it pays for itself over time.

pull the battery and put it on a battery tender at home. freezing temps kill a battery, and the tender reads "do not charge a frozen battery".

I have used a Battery Tender on my bikes for years. I believe they extend the life of the battery. The '04 Harley and Honda still have the origional batteries and there is no sign of the batteries giving up--- yet

No need to go off here, but a "float" mode is in fact designed to cut off when the batter hits a target voltage. (there is a fundamental difference between a charger and a tender)  

Factory battery in an 02?  good for you but it is not very common and you store your bike outside?

Better "tender" type chargers actually cycle the battery up and down (much better than maintaining a static charge over long periods) this helps keep sulphate from building up (primary reason for battery failure)
That would be why he refered to the HF charger as "floating style", which they are.

I also went to Battery Tender's official web site and can not find anything that states any of of their chargers "cycle a battery up and down".

Actually I found this in their faq:

Many automatic battery chargers turn off when the battery voltage rises or the charge current falls to a preset level. Then after a period of time, when the battery self discharge characteristics have reduced its terminal voltage significantly, sometimes to the point where the battery has given up almost 90% of its stored charge, the charger will turn on and recharge the battery. This type of cycling will dramatically reduce battery life. The Battery Tender Plus battery charger does not turn off. It automatically switches to a safe float voltage level that keeps the battery charged and yet does not do any harm to the battery or cause any reduction in its useful life.

Their chargers hold that float level just like the HF charger. What brand of charger cycles a battery's voltage up and down? I've searched google and can't find anything pertaining to car/motorcycle batteries.

Back