That flaming battery

kod3001

Registered
Flat battery again this morning. Can't find anything that might be draining it down.

I understand that some bikes don't start charging the battery (when you're on the road) until you hit 5,000+ rpm, do you know what rpm on the Busa it needs to be before the alternator sends some charge back to the battery?

May be time for a new battery, or better habits with the trickle charger.

Not to insult your inteligence, but are you sure that you're NOT turning the key to the FULL left position? The OFF position is just before this.

This is the parking light position. I believe this just turns on the tail light so that people can see you when you're parked on the side of the road.

Good luck
cool.gif

Thanks, but no. I think perhaps it because its only getting ridden once or twice a week, and just sitting there its slowly dying.

Battery-Tender.......make sure your fluid level is up and use a Battery-Tender!
It will bring your battery back to life......I've seen it happen!

Thanks, but no.  I think perhaps it because its only getting ridden once or twice a week, and just sitting there its slowly dying.
No problem
wink.gif
I had just heard of people turning the key too far before.

Something else IS draining your battery then. Mine sat for almost a month before without being ridden and started just fine.

Try hooking up a good multimeter to check for a current draw while the key is OFF (see image-HQ MS-Paint
laugh.gif
).
There will be some VERY small amount of current due to the clock/CPU memory, but I don't the value. I'm sure there are some service techs on here that have the numbers. Once you get a reading, then we can go from there.

We'll get this thing figured out.

Electrical_1.gif

Thanks, but no.  I think perhaps it because its only getting ridden once or twice a week, and just sitting there its slowly dying.
No problem
wink.gif
 I had just heard of people turning the key too far before.

Something else IS draining your battery then.  Mine sat for almost a month before without being ridden and started just fine.

Try hooking up a good multimeter to check for a current draw while the key is OFF (see image-HQ MS-Paint
laugh.gif
).
There will be some VERY small amount of current due to the clock/CPU memory, but I don't the value.  I'm sure there are some service techs on here that have the numbers.  Once you get a reading, then we can go from there.

We'll get this thing figured out.
Actually you should tap into the negative side #1 reason being that is safer to disconnect the negative side of the battery. Always disconnect a battery starting with the negative side...install it starting with the positive.

25 milliamps is probably an acceptable current draw on the Busa...its likely quite a bit less than that though.

Check the state of charge and charging voltage first...if those test out ok then get the battery load tested.

If all that is good then test for a parasitic draw as stkr00 pointed out above.

If we were gambling id put my money on it being a bad battery.
wink.gif

you could well be right, which tempts me just to change it rather than messing about and getting myself buzzed by the battery.

Well dont do that...at least take it down and have it tested...some shop around you would probably do it for free.

Of course its gonna have to be mostly charged to get an accurate test....have them charge it up and test it ..tell them youll buy a
new battery if its bad that way you win either way.

OK, good plan. If I'm honest I don't know where my multimeter is, I've had a desk job for the last 5 years, all my old engineering bits have long disappeared.

I like the Optimate III charger/tender. It does a great job at keeping the battery charged without overcharging. It also has a feature that will revive old/deeply discharged batteries. It also runs tests and will let you know if the battery is bad.

Actually you should tap into the negative side #1 reason being that is safer to disconnect the negative side of the battery.     Always disconnect a battery starting with the negative side...install it starting with the positive.
Forgot about that...Thanks
cool.gif

Just had this problem due to infrequent riding. Go get the battery tested and if its flat have it charged. My local stealership did this for no charge and got my bike back on the road. Those sealed batteries can be brought back and then go RIDE! Have fun.
Busafng

Back