question about battery

Bence's Busa

Registered
what do u guys recommend to keep a battery charge during the winter when my bike is at the storage without an outlet to plug to? i ve seen some solar chargers but i heard they suck goatnuts. is there a special charger that u can charge at your house, then bring to the storage and leave it plug to your bike to keep the battery charge?

Pull the battery and put it on a battery tender. Pulling the battery makes it mobile and you now have the ability to get to a power outlet.

I leave mine connected and run an extension cord for the Battery Tender.

Pull the battery and put it on a battery tender. Pulling the battery makes it mobile and you now have the ability to get to a power outlet.
im one of those peeps who are too lazy to clean his bike so pulling the battery is too much work. there are no electrical oulet in my storage to plug a battery tender to.

im one of those peeps who are too lazy to clean his bike so pulling the battery is too much work. there are no electrical oulet in my storage to plug a battery tender to.
In that case, pay someone to install a new battery once the weather warms to a suitable riding temp for you.

If you're not willing to take care of your stuff then I don't know what to tell ya.
tissue.gif

In that case, pay someone to install a new battery once the weather warms to a suitable riding temp for you.

If you're not willing to take care of your stuff then I don't know what to tell ya.  
tissue.gif
common man u ve got to be kidding when u told me to remove my battery. that means i have to install/uninstall it once a week? even though i try to ride at least once a week, i can feel the battery getting weaker everytime i crank it up. it must be from the cold weather. i just think your method is way too dramatic and i dont know of any1 who removes a battery unless they are storing their bike for the whole winter without riding.

In re: "is there a special charger that u can charge at your house, then bring to the storage and leave it plug to your bike to keep the battery charge?"

Not that I've heard of.

tissue.gif
common man u ve got to be kidding when u told me to remove my battery. that means i have to install/uninstall it once a week? even though i try to ride at least once a week, i can feel the battery getting weaker everytime i crank it up. it must be from the cold weather. i just think your method is way too dramatic and i dont know of any1 who removes a battery unless they are storing their bike for the whole winter without riding.
I thought you were storing the bike.
wowold.gif

My apologies.

If you ride the bike every week and know the battery is dying it's time to get a new one. A bike that is ridden on a regular basis should keep a charge.

Heat is the number one killer of a battery. Unfortunately most times a weak battery does not show itself until it is cold outside. So people tend to believe that the cold is what is hurting there battery. If the battery is showing signs of weakness and you ride or start the bike on a regular basis (weekly) and get it to operating temperature, then the battery should be replaced. As for as a portable charger like what is being requested, I have never seen such an animal, then again I have never seen Bigfoot or nessi either. That doesn't mean they do not exist. There are jump boxes that you can use to start it if the battery is dead or about dead.
Hope this helps

just start it up every other day then and let it warm up to keep the battery charged...its really no big deal to pull the battery...2min job!!!

Go to Harbor Freight, buy a 12ga outside ext cord, buy one of thier cheap azz $10 battery tenders. Run cord to your shed,from your house, unbolt seat(if this is not too much work) and hook up cheap azz battery tender. They work great actually. I have 6 of my bikes hooked up to them, and they all keep a full charge year round. And my batteries last 5+ years.The Busa still has the original batt in it...

What about taking one of those portable jump boxes? Is that too much amperage for a motorcycle battery?

If im reading this right, he's storing the bike over the winter. is that correct, bence's?

if so, your best bet is to remove the battery for the winter. Take the battery home with you and put it in your garage or whatever on a battery tender. Reinstall battery in the spring when it's time to ride.

I would skip the "budget" battery tender.. they only cook the battery and you will need a new one come spring anyway..

Back