Problems! Nail in tire, can it be fixed?

Danno$$

Registered
OK, wouldnt you know the day before I sell my bike I notice a very small round metal object in rear tire. Looks to be the head of a very small nail. Very shiny silver and the head looks to be about 1/8 inch. Can this be patched? Please dont tell me im about to loose even more money on this sale buying a new tire!

take it down to a tire shop they should be able to put a patch in it or a plug should be about 5-10$

Maybe a used tire if it needs to be replaced. A few guys here have race take offs. Maybe you could get one of those cheap. You sold the bike with a used rear so your not screwing the buyer

possible patch but please tell the buyer it has a patch, repairing the tire comprises it an it should not be ridden at high speeds.

possible patch but please tell the buyer it has a patch, repairing the tire comprises it an it should not be ridden at high speeds.

+100

You are selling a bike supposedly with two good tires on it so don't get too upset if he complains .

I personally would not trust a patch on bike but I do have 3 of my 4 tires on the charger patched! I would see if you could get a used tire for cheap

If you do not disclose the patch or hole, or whatever defect, you are not only risking legal liability, but you're potentially endangering the life of a fellow rider. Do the right thing, even if it costs $$$.

Motorcycle tires should not be repaired in any way, there is way to much risk there. Think about it you on 2 tires, one fails your done for.

I have a plug in my rear tire now, put it in early last year. Have been riding it with no problems. I have never had a problem with a plugged tire.

I have a plug in my rear tire now, put it in early last year. Have been riding it with no problems. I have never had a problem with a plugged tire.

How often do you hit 100 plus on that plug and how does your mind feel while there.

Patch plug it from the inside, it will out last the tire.
+1!
A plug will only make the hole bigger when you ream it out to cement the plug into place. Have the tire removed, patched properly from the inside and that small of a hole should not be a problem.

Plug it with a mushroom plug, tell the potential buyer it has the plugged tire and move on.

Yes, the textbook says you should swap out any tire with a hole in it, but the mushroom plug work exceptionally well for a nail-in-the-tire style hole since it patches it from the inside.

Also note with with a mushroom patch tire kit, you can patch it in minutes. Very simple. :thumbsup: Always a good idea to get one of these kits, throw it in the tail section (they are very small) and forget it's there till you need it some unlucky day.

Buy Now: Stop n Go Tire Repair Kits Motorcycle Flat Tire | Pashnit

medtireplugger_1.jpg PocketTirePlugger_226.jpg

medtireplugger_1.jpg

PocketTirePlugger_226.jpg

I ask the same to you as above ?
Comfy stretching 4th gear on that plug or patch ?
On a patch I'd say yes, so long as the original hole is SMALL. Larger holes, no way but small ones likely did not break any steel cords, maybe pushed them to the side a bit but either way unless he's going breakneck speeds for extended runs it'll be just fine with a properly done patch on the INSIDE of the tire. Unless he's going to track the bike it will be highly unlikely to ever see a problem on the tire patched. :thumbsup:

Goes something like this...

Img_1635_nail.jpg

Img_1638_nail.jpg

Img_1634_tire_plug.jpg

Img_1645_tire_plug.jpg

Img_1658_tire_gauge.jpg

Img_1656_tire_plug.jpg

15 Minutes later, we were back on the road and finished out our 1000 mile ride. :cheerleader:

Img_1635_nail.jpg

Img_1638_nail.jpg

Img_1634_tire_plug.jpg

Img_1645_tire_plug.jpg

Img_1658_tire_gauge.jpg

Img_1656_tire_plug.jpg

On a patch I'd say yes, so long as the original hole is SMALL. Larger holes, no way but small ones likely did not break any steel cords, maybe pushed them to the side a bit but either way unless he's going breakneck speeds for extended runs it'll be just fine with a properly done patch on the INSIDE of the tire. Unless he's going to track the bike it will be highly unlikely to ever see a problem on the tire patched. :thumbsup:

Tim I have the kit you sold me same as above now perm in trunk .
I will be first one to brag it worked and yes te shroom plugs loos great

BUT

you have the word maybe up there ?
just ain't worth it !

OK thanks guys, I will let the buyer know about this. The "nail" not even sure its a nail, is tiny, the head looks to be 1/8th or smaller.

Back