PROBLEM night before multi state trip HELP!

redliner100

Registered
I had the tail off my Gen I last weekend to do some wiring, then managed to put the passenger seat back on the bike without hooking up the cable that releases the seat with the key.:banghead:

OH, and of course, it's a Tobin custom !!

I'm hoping someone has run into this before and can advise on what approach to take to get the passenger seat off preferably without damaging it.

anyone have a photo of the passenger seat area with the seat off they can post? :please:

might help me figure out if there is a way to release the seat. right now I'm so pi$$ed I can't even remember how it mounts

Getting under the seat is overrated :laugh:

Seat or hump? It's alot easier to do with the hump than the seat. The seat pan has an anti-theft shield that the hump doesn't.

You need to push the lever pointed at by the arrow toward the left side of the bike (direction of the arrow).

If you have an aftermarket undertail, the easiest thing to do in either case is drop the undertail and reach up from underneath.

With the stock undertail, you'll need to pry up on the seat and snake something stiff enough to push the lever around the shield.

Unless you have something in the trunk you can't do without on your trip, I'd forget about it until I got home again.

DSCI0015.jpg

DSCI0016.jpg

DSCI0019.jpg

thanks everyone. one more question tho' or maybe two..

I tried releasing it last night without success although the pics are a tremendous help.

are the paint sticks a joke? can't see how you can get 'em where I need 'em to go.

in the last pic, is the release mounted just behind (toward the rear of the bike) where the seat pins drop in and at the same height ? I know it's between the white plasstic shield of the seat and the holes, but not sure of the height of the release. I think whatever I'm running in just slides over the top of the release.I'm either going over it or under it.

I'm grateful for the help. can't believe I did this. I now belong to the lame dumazz club.I may have to run for president before this is over..

Seems like I did that once a long time ago. Did you try accessing with a coat hanger wire from underneath or maybe remove the tailight? Or maybe remove a few push pins on the side below the key hole...

thanks everyone. one more question tho' or maybe two..

I tried releasing it last night without success although the pics are a tremendous help.

are the paint sticks a joke? can't see how you can get 'em where I need 'em to go.

in the last pic, is the release mounted just behind (toward the rear of the bike) where the seat pins drop in and at the same height ? I know it's between the white plasstic shield of the seat and the holes, but not sure of the height of the release. I think whatever I'm running in just slides over the top of the release.I'm either going over it or under it.

I'm grateful for the help. can't believe I did this. I now belong to the lame dumazz club.I may have to run for president before this is over..
i wasn't trying to set you up. it looked ligit to me when i read it. :whistle:

Do you have the grab bar, rack or anything else attached to the area?
If no, good, I might be able to walk you through it. :thumbsup:
If yes, I can attach my grab bar and try to come up with a work around. :whistle:

Back