Preparing for the THIEVES

what pward76 said is the sad truth, the best protection is insurance!!! if they really want to get it they will. i have so many unreal horror stories of how crook's went above and beyond belief to get a bike.
2yrs ago i had to park in a storage area and ride a bicycle hm, because i knew they wanted the busa and the saleen, and i stay in a good area. but i do love the 220 idea.
you can now get lo-jack for your bike but no one can ever know about it. all they have to do is cut the cluster of cable's.

Hi, from a different view point...
decrease the items value to begin with. so it will not be as likely to be stolen..

we tried this at our university.. we had a very nice LCD projector and put all kinds of metal casing and protection.. one day it was stolen.. we replaced with a cheaper, lower quaility, used looking LCD, with no protection, no metal cage surrounding.. still there.. (not as desiriable to steal)

this may require a lot of time on your part and may not be practical if you travel lot...

one thing to do is buy some cracked, used plastic fairing and replace your nice fairings.. also use duct tape liberally (to hold the mirror, license plate.... etc)... make the bike look rather beaten up... just to fool the theive... this might not work.. but might deter some thieves if they think they will have a hard time to sell your bike... maybe some other ideas.. just have to figure out how to do the "ugly trick" fast.

good luck. thanks.

Most newer cell phones have a built in gps device so if you are going to be away from your bike for awhile I would recommend putting your cell phone on it in an inconspicuous place.just make sure the phone is left on.the cops should be able to track it this way as long as the phone can get a signal.
Pretty much what I was thinking... Do they make any GPS devices that you could mount somewhere on the trailer/bike to improve the chances of getting your stuff back? It could at least go a long way in helping to prosecute someone (I'd think). It would be a worthwhile investment IMO.

Any links would be nice!

Hi, from a different view point...
decrease the items value to begin with. so it will not be as likely to be stolen..

we tried this at our university.. we had a very nice LCD projector and put all kinds of metal casing and protection.. one day it was stolen.. we replaced with a cheaper, lower quaility, used looking LCD, with no protection, no metal cage surrounding.. still there.. (not as desiriable to steal)

this may require a lot of time on your part and may not be practical if you travel lot...

one thing to do is buy some cracked, used plastic fairing and replace your nice fairings.. also use duct tape liberally (to hold the mirror, license plate.... etc)... make the bike look rather beaten up... just to fool the theive... this might not work.. but might deter some thieves if they think they will have a hard time to sell your bike... maybe some other ideas.. just have to figure out how to do the "ugly trick" fast.

good luck. thanks.
well, while I follow what you are saying, when it comes to these bikes and the fughole theives that take them.... they know what they are getting and most of the time is the moving parts they want and could care less about plastics.

case in point, my gsxr1100 race bike was totally neked, no plastic at all, looked like a total mess, covered and was chained up to a steel pole (about 2' diameter) with a massive chain.... woke up one day and found 3 pieces of chain that had been cut with a hydrolic cutter. they took the bulk of the chain, cover, everything.

If they want it, they will take it regardless. Best prevention is a good alarm, a decent pistol and time at the target range practicing
cool.gif
oh yeah, good insurance is a big plus
wink.gif

Pretty much what I was thinking... Do they make any GPS devices that you could mount somewhere on the trailer/bike to improve the chances of getting your stuff back?  It could at least go a long way in helping to prosecute someone (I'd think).  It would be a worthwhile investment IMO.

Any links would be nice!
Yeah there are a few companies, but the best deal around is bay far a MiBike from Talon.  Does $319 fit your budget?  The details on the MiBike can be seen HERE

mibike-comp.jpg
logo-mibike.gif

<!--EDIT|spangler
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112728731 -->

As far as a local theft I dont have to worry, I am pretty much the neighborhood looney...nobody messes with me. B. I have 2 Pitbulls and C. I park the bike inside the house. D. I carry a Glock
E. , one of these is posted in my front window.....
6b_2.JPG

They are suppose to be working on a LoJack device for M/Cs. That would be the way to go IMO. Insurance is great too, as long as you never have to use it.

http://www.lojack.com/products-services/auto-security-system/lojack-for-motorcycles-faqs.cfm

Check out these discounts for Lojack
jump9.gif

State Insurance Discounts
LoJack saves you money on your comprehensive insurance. The following is a list of discounts by state that you may be eligible to receive off your comprehensive insurance. For more information check with your insurance agent. Please note that NOT ALL states mandate discounts and rates may differ from company to company.

Arizona: Up to 25%
California: Up to 33%
Colorado: Up to 25%
Connecticut: Up to 25%
Delaware: Up to 25%
District of Columbia: Up to 25%
Florida*: Up to 25%
Georgia*: Up to 25%
Illinois: Up to 25%
Louisiana: Up to 25%
Massachusetts*: Up to 35%
Maryland: Up to 25%
Michigan: Up to 25%
New Jersey*: Up to 25%
Nevada: Up to 25%
New Hampshire: Up to 25%
New York*: Up to 25%
Pennsylvania: Up to 25%
Rhode Island*: Up to 35%
Texas*: Up to 30%
Virginia: Up to 25%

**State mandates insurance discount

I have a Browning 300 mag with a 3x9 leupold scope and a boss system. When I shot my deer this year it did a complete flip at about 250 yards away before it hit the ground I havent tried it yet but guy I bought it from says it should be good for about 350 400 yards Just make sure they are dead so that cant sue you. file the numbers off some cheap gun you find at a private sale place it in there cold dead hands. OK OK I am getting alittle overboard but you get the idea I dont want to ever loose my bike. In Canada we heard alot of stories about stolen bikes I will post the pics of our bikes in the room with us.

Pretty much what I was thinking... Do they make any GPS devices that you could mount somewhere on the trailer/bike to improve the chances of getting your stuff back?  It could at least go a long way in helping to prosecute someone (I'd think).  It would be a worthwhile investment IMO.

Any links would be nice!
Yeah there are a few companies, but the best deal around is bay far a MiBike from Talon.  Does $319 fit your budget?  The details on the MiBike can be seen HERE

mibike-comp.jpg
logo-mibike.gif
LoJAck also makes a Bike-specific solution, though I dunno what the cost is. I do know of two people who had their LoJacked cars recovered within single-digit hours of finding it was stolen, so they've gotta be doing something right....

LoJack for Motorcycles

Back