Preparing for the THIEVES

dezzy7

Registered
Ok here are somethings I've learned about protecting my bike and trailer(since they stole both the last time around).

1. Always lock you bike-with a GOOD lock,caliper lock, disc lock, and chain lock---yeah I'm a lil paranoid
bluegrab.gif

2. Secure it to something unmovable if possible or another bike

3. Buy a good alarm w/pager ..You've invested $$$$thousands in performance and mods, whats a few $$$hundred to protect it
rock.gif

4. Always park it in well lit and well traveled areas -keep it visible.

5. Cover it. If you are parking it overnight --invest in a good bike cover-one thats has grommets so you can lock it on the bike. Thieves are less likely to steal what they can't see.

Ok Now for the trailer -last time they cut the chain locks between the trailer and truck, removed the ball on the truck and just rolled off with the trailer and two bikes. The Cops said Thieves now are going for the complete package truck,trailer and bikes or at least trailer and bikes. Its easier to steal the trailer and deal with the locks on the bike once you have it all in a secure place. So hears my $.02 worth of advice for trailer security.

1. If you are gonna be sitting for a few days at a rally or something. REMOVE the tires from the trailer or at least let the air out. you can pick up a can of fix a flat for as little as $.99 a can. People may laugh but thieves aren't gonna roll off with you gear if it sitting on two flats
wink.gif

2. Run an Iron pole through the the wheels in your trailer and lock it in place with good locks? Why because they may decide to take the trailer and truck, but if the wheels aint rolling the bike aint stolen
laugh.gif

3. If you trailer a lot get insurance for you trailer.

I had over 8k in mods that were not covered by my insurance policy which i had to eat when they finally paid off. And as for my trailer - $.0 insurance coverage I never even thought about it.

4. Finally, Don't show pics of your bike online then tell everyone that you are going to such and such an event and will be arriving on such and such a day and will be staying at such and such hotel.(Nope I didn't do this, but I've seen it done- and I'm thinking whoever got my bike had a plasma cutter and even the cops said they had to be pros). But wwhat I've learned is most of us invest enough in our busas to make them very attractive for the add-ons alone.

Keep the shiney side up and in your garage!
DEz

Please feel free to add whatever advice you think will help! But I would appreciate if no one hi-jacked the thread
biggrin.gif

Very good points, Dez! I never sleep well when traveling with the bikes. I like to park in an area with lots of people and make it know that I am the owner (by getting in and out of the truck a few times). Try to park in the front of the hotel near the lobby when possible. It sucks that you have to worry so much and be so careful, but . . .
mad.gif

I just purchased an alarm with a pager and what i do is park behind a dumpster thats block on teh side by my car so to get my bike youd have to get out and carry it around the dumpster...also you cant see my bike from teh street you have to drive in and look for it

I guess you can never really be too protective. It sucks that we have to live in a world where we always have to wonder if somebody is gonna snag our shid.

Dam Dezz, why don't ya just hook up a 220 circuit to the trailer? Let the ground be the THEIVES!

And please get it on video when you do this...
tounge.gif

Removing the wheel, on a small trailer thats a good idea. Its just what, 5 or 6 bolts. Good tip.

Only problem with the 220 idea is that if they live....YOU will end up getting sued!!!! That sucks too!!!, the dang theives have more rights than we do!!!

cool ideas,, but I'm afraid the only true way to prevent if they are determined would be a sad sad tale indeed...

sold%20sign.gif

<!--EDIT|pure_ego
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111118017 -->

I've always ran a huge log chain wrapped in a towel through the wheel and chained it to a lightpost or a huge tree when parking someplace I don't feel comfortable. Never had any problems. Just make sure you leave a note on the seat of your vehicle so you don't forget and take off without taking the chain off.
wow.gif

Put big dog in trailer, they work for free and will look after your stuff all day long.
My dog is little,(50lbs) but he looks tough, I ain't locked my house in 3 yrs. I think a good guard dog will deter the casual thief, but let's face it, if someone wants your stuff bad enough they'll find a way to get it.

Most newer cell phones have a built in gps device so if you are going to be away from your bike for awhile I would recommend putting your cell phone on it in an inconspicuous place.just make sure the phone is left on.the cops should be able to track it this way as long as the phone can get a signal.

I knew a guy several years ago (when I was young
wow.gif
) who has a VERY nice Harley. He lived outside of town, literally in the middle of a cornfield. Kept the bike in a locked shed, in the back, under a cover and buried behind rolls of chickenwire and all sorts of stuff stacked in front of it. He had 4 black and tan doberman's on the place - all of them trained to within an inch of their lives. On one side of the shed was a pen with a red doberman that was too vicious even for him to train. Made me swear to not tell anyone about the bike for fear it would be stolen.

I never told a soul about it. 2 months later he asked me if I had, and I assured him that I hadn't and asked why? Someone actually took the bike.. They poisoned the dogs with doped hamburger meat, and pulled the back wall of the shed off.

Long story short - if "they" want it bad enough, they will get it. That said, the suggestions mentioned in this thread will make them work to get it...

Back