Premium vs Regular

It was just a question for other opinions. Everyone around here is pulling up to the 101 octane pump with basically stock bikes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

What your being told is anything on a stock gen2 over 93 octane your just giving away money. Also your losing power. There us NO need for race gas in a stock engine.
BUT....if it makes you feel giggly inside by all means go for it!

Via Tapatalk

What your being told is anything on a stock gen2 over 93 octane your just giving away money. Also your losing power. There us NO need for race gas in a stock engine.

Via Tapatalk

I would rather have the extra $ in my pocket. Lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Let'em waste thier $$$ and think they are making more power. On the street I run 87,but when I drag race it I use 89 or 90 octane cuz I like to advance the timing and have not had any problems with it. I even pull the spark plugs and check all look perfect. Unless your using oxygenated fuel and have dyno tuned it for that its a waste of $$$.

I run regular on my gen1, unless I find ethonal free gas. That usally comes in super only around here. But filling up with regular will get you some dirty looks.

As for wasting money... its like a dollar more to fill a mc tank with premium :lol:

sent using my middle finger on tapatalk

I put alot more miles on my bikes than my car, so it makes a difference. Premium in a Gen 1 is not only a waste of money, but will reduce power.

I have a gen2 and I can feel the difference when I use regular ,the bike feels more crisp with regular and the motor starts at the touch of the starter, as for when I use 98 it spins a few times before it starts and it's not as sharp when I crack it wide open....damn I LOVE 2 Crack It wide open :) just typing it makes me wanna ride now ...lol (CIWO) Crack It Wide Open ...ok Im done.....ok really, now Im done ....whistle...whistle....whistle....

Via Tapatalk

When I was young and uneducated about combustion engines I would also use race gas in stock compression engines, I knew it was faster cause the race cars used it and plus it makes your exhaust smell like a race car. LOL!:rofl:
That was back in the day when I also drilled holes in my muffler to make it louder, its funny how loud exhaust and burnt exhaust fumes from race gas makes more power and faster!:whistle:
Now on a different note I learned that the lower the octane without detonation (pinging) will create the most horsepower in a 4 stroke engine, and your really wasting your time and money by making your exhaust less restrictive to the point to where the head cant flow as fast as the exhaust is being exhausted.
Hey you cant argue this with the stock bike squids at the race gas pumps they will swear there bikes run better on it.

the 2011 Hayabusa states 90 is the bare minimum (Little sticker under the gas tank when you buy it)

Very good write up Paul. So your saying that it is best to use 89 octane fuel instead of the other grades? And what if I can get NON-ETHENAL fuel? Should I run the NON-ETHENAL?

nice write up Paul. I don't get it either. My father had serious repairs to his Mercury outboard because of the ethanol. It soaks up water and turns bad quickly. Now he has a float bowl to separate the water out of the gas. Our local lawn mower repair shop is booming because of all the carbs fowling, and if the price of corn goes up, so does everything else, livestock, poultry, dairy. These farmers are producing wasteful fuel and no longer producing corn for food. Go figure. It does up the octane rating though. Higher octane means it burns slower. Good for race gas. Hence all the E85 turbo guys. I run 93 because it burns slower, less likely to detonate in a turbo. (Slower burn, retard the timing). For average cars and bikes 87 runs best, burns faster. I bet 87 pump gas with ethanol is a bit higher in octane, probably why were loosing HP and gas mileage with 87 pump gas. I'd be interested in seeing if the higher grades of fuel don't contain ethanol. I'm pretty sure they all do at this point. I've asked around and can't find any non ethanol fuel near us.

my 01 ran best with regular (as recommended in the manual), a waste of cash to run premium. my old 08/current 09 do best with premium (as recommended in the manual).

My Gen 1 (00) manual says US bikes require 91 octane as a min. Canadian bikes can get away with 87:

From the Manual:

FUEL
Use unleaded gasoline with an octane
rating of 91 or higher (Research
method). Unleaded gasoline can extend
spark plug life and exhaust components
life.

(For Canada)
Your motorcycle requires regular unleaded
gasoline with a minimum pump
octane rating of 87.

How much does the octane increase using oxygenated fuel?

in England we only have 95, 97, 99 and in some places 102 octane, i only need to run the standard which is 95.

no advantage anything higher.

you will make the most power running the lowest octane possible without ping. since ethanol increases the octane rating, 87 isnt really 87, it's higher. i run regular in my gen2 since forever. same with both my 1st gen's

this is WRONG!!!!! the rating on the label at the station is after the ethanol being put into the formula... if you look at the bottom of the label it usually shows you the formula right here.

93 no alcohol added :thumbsup: from memory you wouldn't want to run less than 90 octane. Around here we have 87, 89, and 93 :thumbsup:

right now i get it

in the UK/Europe the label says use RON 95 (EU) so this is equivalent to 91 US octane, so i use 91 can't get any less octane fuel than 91 (US )
and i still make 195 rwhp on nmy GEN2 with akra 4 into 1.

so i say use 91!!

Below was extract of some guy with porsche 997 allows me to understand different scales

These are different octane blends, rated with the same method, the US method.
EU ratings are 95/98, which are equivalent to US ratings of 91/93.
So, EU 95 octane = US 91 octane and EU 98 octane = US 93 octane
Top performance with EU 98 octane = 93 US octane.
Small loss in performance with EU 95 octane = 91 US octane.

So on a 993, it needs minimum 91 US octane.

Gen 2 I think recommended premium. on the Gen 1 is can run on regular so regular it gets, I tried premium an my butt dyno didn't go up and didn't get any extra mileage from using it so I keep using regular.

So far I've ran 87 with no problems at all but I've only been riding at a regular pace with no wide open throttle runs. I think as the summer weather approaches and as the outside temperature rises another 40-50 degrees I will have no choice but to switch to 89 or 93 octane.

Gen 2 I think recommended premium. on the Gen 1 is can run on regular so regular it gets, I tried premium an my butt dyno didn't go up and didn't get any extra mileage from using it so I keep using regular.
It's a 25 cent / gallon delta here, but I'm curious about how the Gen I will hold up because it is a no alcohol vehicle and there's no way to get 87 without it. I'm glad to hear folks say they run 87 in Gen II with no problems, manufacture calls for 90+. I've always ran 93 because that's all you can get above 90 here.

Back