To those in N.C.---insurance premium issue

OB_Sarge

Registered
If you are from North Carolina, you may be aware that our motorcycle insurance is higher than in other area states. From the calls I've made, it basically centers around an out-dated system currently in use by the N.C. Rate Bureau, and it appears that some representatives are willing to look into the matter.

This just in from American Motorcyclist Association's StateWatch, government updates, compiled by Bill Kresnak, Legal Affairs Editor:

North Carolina--Motorcyclists Introducing Legislation, Education and Safety (MILES) of North Carolina and the AMA are teaming up to tackle high motorcycle insurance premiums in this state. MILES hosted planning meetings, and the AMA is surveying premiums in other states to plan a strategy to provide motorcycle insurance premium relief. If you're a N.C. motorcyclist frustrated with paying exorbitant insurance premiums, send a letter to Insurance Commissioner Jim Long, 430 Salisbury Street, P.O. Box 26387, Raleigh, N.C. 27611. Ask him to support revising the motorcycle premium rate structure of the N.C. Rate Bureau to provide fair motorcycle insurance premiums. ///End article.

Please pass the word around in N.C. to your buddies. I have no idea how many of you posting on .org are AMA members, and were aware of this information....

This is an update, March 8th:

Again, to those in N.C. I'm in contact with a representative in the House that is ready to go to bat for us, and debate the issue of motorcycle insurance, and bring the rates down, and fairly in line with other states regionally. The Government Relations department of the AMA is working informatively with riders in the state to make it happen.

I've been informed that the AMA is working with MILES (Motorcyclist Introducing Legislation, Education, and Safety) in N.C. to do a workshop to get folks educated and interested in the issue. Preliminary plan is to meet for sometime on April 15th, 2000, in Clemmons, N.C., in anticipation of the short session of the General Assembly which starts the following month, May 8.

I know there's a few from N.C. here, and may have good local connection bases. Lamont, CBXChris, Michael Lee, anyone else? Interested in getting involved, or putting the word out? If so, I'll try to get more information to you.

[This message has been edited by Sarge (edited 19 March 2000).]

What does it cost for insurance over in NC? I know I called around here (Michigan) and everyone wanted $3000-5000. Then I called State Farm and they said if I transfered my car there it would only be $785.00 a year.

With every discount available, (multi-vehicle, homeowners, clean record), full coverage, best rate found, about $1100/yr., with State Farm and Nationwide. And there's only a few companies that will even underwrite bikes in the state. For some reason, the way the situation is governmentally now, alot of companies won't do business here. Progressive is one of them, and I've heard they do right by riders in other states. Something's not right down here.

[This message has been edited by Sarge (edited 23 March 2000).]

My California Hayabusa AND Intruder liability coverage is $170.00 per year total (thats both bikes for $170.00 a year with McGraw). Why is NC so expensive ? are you carying full cost theft coverage ?

I don't know. it may be rumor. But from my understanding, in some parts of NC there is a high theft rate for motorcycles. I can't see how the theft rate can be any higher than say, Phila. or any other major city, but I don't know the stats.

Sarge - do you know if this is a concern in NC?

CaveDweller: Yes. Full coverage. I see accidents and thievery all the time, so full coverage is the only way I'll get any sleep. For some reason, my insurance company would not allow me to go higher than a $500 deductible, (I was going for a $1000 deductible to see what savings I could get, but no go).

JokerJ: I don't have any stats with me, comparing theft rates, but I don't believe we have any worse of a bike theft problem down here, compared to other states. My sources tell me our rates are dictated by out-dated formula used by the rate bureau on the state govt level, which we're looking in to. (Sorry it took me three days to answer you...been busy).

Back