Anatomy of the motorcycle accident

OB_Sarge

Registered
I'd like to put this information out, so perhaps you can help prevent from becoming the next statistic, and will be able to continue enjoying the sport you love, and make it home safe....

The following is reported in the March 2000 issue of American Motorcyclist, a publication of the American Motorcyclist Association, in the Government Update section, and compiled by AMA's Bill Kresnak, Legal Affairs Editor:

Highway Deaths Up--Downward trend reversed--

Federal officials report that traffic deaths among motorcyclists rose by 8 percent in 1998, although they're still down significantly over the past decade.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 2,284 motorcyclists were killed nationwide in 1998, compared with 2,116 in '97.

The 1998 figures, which are the latest available, mark the end of a four-year downward trend in traffic deaths. However, the latest figures are still well below 10 years ago, when motorcyclist fatalities stood at more than 3,660.

What causes motorcyclist fatalities? Two statistics stand out. The NHTSA reports that 32 percent of the motorcyclists killed nationwide in 1998 were drunk. And, of the 1,017 fatal crashes involving a motorcycle and another vehicle, 36 percent involved a vehicle turning left into the path of the motorcycle. //(End of article).

Good post, Sarge.

Three things immediately come to mind to help improve your chances. First, wear a full-face helmet. Second, don't drink and ride. Those should both be no-brainers.

Third, EVERY time you approach an intersection when there is an oncoming vehicle, get poised over the brakes and be ready to make the other guy miss you. It doesn't matter if you have the right-of-way, it also doesn't matter if he doesn't have a signal on. If the moron whips a left into you, you are toast...laws and lights won't save your butt. It's up to you to make the other guy miss.

Sarge, that uptick in fatalities between '97 and '98 is not statistically significant.

But the reduction since 10 years ago is; especially given that there are so many more bikes on the road now. I'd be leery of that stat.

What I'd like to know is the incidence of fatal and non-fatal injuries on bikes versus cars. I suspect it's a lot higher.

It's worth pointing out that a very high percentage of bike injuries occur in the first 3 years of riding and among "experienced" riders who ride less than 2,000 miles a year.

Among my acquaintances, there's a strong co-relation between bike and car crashes. Guys who crash cars also crash bikes. They also trip and fall frequently, walk around with laces undone, and eat Chinese with a fork.

IMHO it's 20% of the riders who have 80% of the crashes. The vast majority of experienced bike riders are way above the population's average when it comes to driving skills.

Not to minimize the importance of what you're saying, but there's more to it than absolute death numbers.

I think Mr bear hit it right on. I ride anticipating that every moron is going to do something stupid and what am I going to do about it. When they do.

Steve has the right idea...ride like something is out to get you each time you get on the bike, and look for it! It might be a guy pulling out of a parking spot, a drunk speeding up behind you at a stoplight, or some antifreeze or gravel on the pavement. You don't have to let it cramp your riding style, but temper everything you do with caution, and stay alert. You never stop learning how to ride safely.
PS...a short prayer before you leave the house is good insurance against the unpredictable!!!

Back