Power Pilot 2CT

UR IT!

MIDNIGHT FALCON
Donating Member
Registered
The fact that I just pulled off a set of original Pilots that I put nearly 6k miles on, I was extremely anxious to check out the new 2ct version. I was very satisfied by the performance I had got from the PP, especially on the mountain twisties during hard riding. I always felt confident in the fact that no matter what lean I needed to go into a corner with, the tires had a nice grip on the surface and I would have a controlled exit.
I've only had a chance to ride back and forth to work twice so I will take that into consideration. Luckily my ride everyday includes straights, long sweepers, two 90's, and one over 90 turn that drops in elevation as your coming out of it(this one is my favorite). Needless to say I have fun riding to work everyday!
Day one, I take it pretty easy because these puppies are slick out of the box. I spun the tires a few times cranking the throttle. Coming home I was able to get a little more response from them, being the temp was almost 80deg out by then. Very nice feel leaning into the turns, but just a tad slick still. I continued to push them a little more into each turn to try and scrub as much of the surface as possible. Crappy first ride as I had thought...
Day two(today), I was determined to find out what these tires were about, so I took my ride in to work closer to the speed I'm used to. The ride today was awesome! The cornering response I received was phenominal. Very quick turn in in the corners, felt like I was riding a smaller bike. Side to side flick is smoother than before and I can come in a little hotter into the corners than before, feels like a different bike. I was thinking about messing with my suspension adjustments, but I'm going to hold off for a while. I can't wait to get up to the mountains this weekend to get in a real ride. Even the grip through the corners is softer and grippier(is that a word?). With the old PP I had great grip but it was harder like I knew I little more throttle and they would give way, but these....WOW! No matter how much I leaned into these and gave more throttle, especially at the apex and coming out of the turn, I felt like I could drag elbows with no problem.

Anyway, I'll try to give a little more feedback after I go out this weekend. I'll also try to get rid of that last 1/8th-1/4 inch that is left untouched from my first two short rides.

Later,

Dan

Here's a couple of tread pics from after work today:

Right_side.jpg

Good right up.

I have my 1st set on but only a couple 100 miles at freezing temperatures.

So no pushing them yet.

Got a guy doing me stock size fronts for 100 and rears for 145.

Pick-up only.

No reciept.

I've got no complaints about the PPs cornering ability but I'd still like a manufacturer to make us a hard centered tire with soft sticky edges. No matter how many corners you ride you are straight up far longer in actual mileage.

(TIMMYDUCK @ Feb. 07 2007,22:27) Good right up.

So no pushing them yet.

Pick-up only.

No reciept.
And where is that at?

Any where near me also?

love them on my gixxer.

canyon riding or track should get those edges nice and chunky (race tire) style.

(GIXERHP @ Feb. 07 2007,23:00)
(TIMMYDUCK @ Feb. 07 2007,22:27) Good right up.

So no pushing them yet.

Pick-up only.

No reciept.
And where is that at?

Any where near me also?
I could hook you up Gixxer.

I actually saw him out tonight.

Doing a little work over in Hudson, NH every so often so I could meet up with you sometime and bring you a set if you wanted.

Remember NO Names.
poke.gif

He has got to be losing money at this price and I told him I would be good for 10 tires this season and he said he would honor his word.

Being Summer Mileage King brings small sponsorship privliges I guess.
muscle.gif

(CBXRider @ Feb. 07 2007,22:51) I've got no complaints about the PPs cornering ability but I'd still like a manufacturer to make us a hard centered tire with soft sticky edges.  No matter how many corners you ride you are straight up far longer in actual mileage.
These tires are dual compound
wink.gif

But I guess they could make a triple compound had have a soft edge, medium edge to center, and a hard center
biggrin.gif

Michelin, you listening....

(Charlesbusa @ Feb. 07 2007,23:28)
(CBXRider @ Feb. 07 2007,22:51) I've got no complaints about the PPs cornering ability but I'd still like a manufacturer to make us a hard centered tire with soft sticky edges.  No matter how many corners you ride you are straight up far longer in actual mileage.
wink.gif

But I guess they could make a triple compound had have a soft edge, medium edge to center, and a hard center  
biggrin.gif

thats why we have to wait til 2009 when all bikes will have traction control., tire temperature & pressure monitors.

gotta wait Charles,
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

(hionbusa @ Feb. 07 2007,23:flamethrowing:)
(Charlesbusa @ Feb. 07 2007,23:28)
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

thats why we have to wait til 2009 when all bikes will have traction control., tire temperature  & pressure  monitors.

gotta wait Charles,  
biggrin.gif
I'm not sure I want true traction control...

pretty soon the accelerator will just be a button, on & off.
the computer will do the rest
sad.gif

biggrin.gif

Thanx for the review. I've heard that since these are hybrids (track and street specific tires) that they are stickier. But break-in and warm up times take a little longer. You might wanna look into getting your suspension dialed up now while you still have plenty of grip. That way, when you get to the real meat of traction, it'll be easier to find that "sweetspot" in suspension and handling. With the Busa, I'm not sure if geometry is such a big deal as it is with 600's/7 fittys/Liters.

"These tires are dual compound"

I realize that but I've never read anything about any changes to the center strip. The middle two inches is where the harder compound should be...and I think the manufacturers (know) this too, noemsayin?

I'm looking foward to giving those a shot on my next tire change, so far i like the new Qualifiers over the standard PP. but i'm going to give the 2TC a shot next.

I have a set on my Wife's 600RR - They are great. Made like the Pilot race tires w/ seams every 2 inches. I have never felt them slide at all.

(TIMMYDUCK @ Feb. 07 2007,23:27) Good right up.

So no pushing them yet.

Pick-up only.

No reciept.
Thanks! That's a pretty good deal...by stock I suppose your referring to the original pilot powers. I had a nice deal on the stocks too, but opt'd for the 2ct's for $40 more.

Check this site out:

Pilot Power pkg deal

(CBXRider @ Feb. 07 2007,23:51) I've got no complaints about the PPs cornering ability but I'd still like a manufacturer to make us a hard centered tire with soft sticky edges.  No matter how many corners you ride you are straight up far longer in actual mileage.
It's was my understanding that they made these with a harder center than the original PP's.

(Charlesbusa @ Feb. 08 2007,00:38) I'm not sure I want true traction control...
I agree with you....Taking the human element out of it when your coming hot into a corner is scary to me. Only because of the dependency thing. When people start depending on a computer to make last second decisions is when we see a lot more accidents. IMHO...

(gtrpimp76 @ Feb. 08 2007,00:48) Thanx for the review. I've heard that since these are hybrids (track and street specific tires) that they are stickier. But break-in and warm up times take a little longer. You might wanna look into getting your suspension dialed up now while you still have plenty of grip. That way, when you get to the real meat of traction, it'll be easier to find that "sweetspot" in suspension and handling. With the Busa, I'm not sure if geometry is such a big deal as it is with 600's/7 fittys/Liters.
Yeah, I may go ahead and dial in the suspension anyway. It just feels really nice right now. I'm going to try and get in a track day, probably before the Vegas ride.....true colors will definately show up then.

Dan

Back