Michelin Pilot POWER tires

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
Since I sort of buried my initial first ride report amongst a bunch of pics in another thread I thought I'd post an easier to find version for those who are interested.
wink.gif

As soon as I got the wheels and tires put back on I headed out for a ride to see how they handled and to get a start on scuffin' 'em in. It didn't take long to see that the POWER's were better in at least one way than the stockers. When I leave my house the first corner I come to is a nice little 70-80 degree left hander. It's so close that the tires have not had a chance to warm up at all before I get to it. With the stockers, if I carried much speed at all into that corner I could feel the rear slidin' on me a little when I rolled on the gas in the corner. It always felt sort of like when you're leaned over and you get on the painted center line.

Well, I took that corner yesterday at a speed that always slid the rear stocker and the POWER's stuck even cold and with mold release still on 'em. Michelin's claims that the compound used for the POWER's is sticky even when cold seems to be true. I'll continue to test that claim and take this corner a little faster each time while the tires are cold just to see if it keeps grippin', but if it held yesterday with mold release still on it, it should hold ANYTIME.

Since the tires weren't properly scuffed yet I didn't really push 'er too hard on my ride yesterday, but I played around a little on certain corners as I became more comfortable that the tires were becomin' scuffed in. Never once had the POWER's to slide or slip in any way. Only bobble I had was in a parking lot when I thought I had 'er in first but actually she was in second gear and I almost stalled 'er in a tight left hand u-turn. Had nothin' to do with the tires, though. It was the dumb ass rider's fault.
blush.gif

As for handling differences between the stockers and the new tires, the busa now feels a little more sensitive and responsive to my inputs as far as bar movement and lean. At first I thought maybe she lost a little stability, but I realized that what was really happenin' was she was tellin' on me for unsmooth ridin' and improper inputs with the new tires. With the stockers she was more forgiving of these little things. What I mean is, if I stiff arm 'er and accidentally input ANY countersteer at all, this beeyotch wants to change directions. I have to consciously force myself to keep my arms and hands relaxed to avoid accidental improper input.  

She's still VERY stable, she just does what I tell 'er whether I meant to tell 'er or not. I think this must be somethin' like what some of you were tellin' me about the litre bikes when I talked about sellin' Da' Train and gettin' one. It was said that the litre bikes were ultra sensitive and unforgiving to rider input. That statement now makes better sense for me. That's exactly how I would describe Da' Train's new manners, albeit maybe not to the same degree as it would be if I went from the busa to a litre bike. She definitely took a shift in that direction though.

Before the new rubber she seemed "aloof" for lack of a better term. She seemed to want a conscious effort to change directions. In fact I had a tendency to run a little wide in certain corners if I didn't put a little effort into gettin' 'er leaned over far enough and/or quick enough. Now, with the POWER's I am having to refine and reduce my inputs to keep 'er from turnin' in too quickly and clippin' the apex (road edge).

I'm also havin' to identify and eliminate bad riding habits and bad input to avoid havin' goofy little bobbles on a straight line. Bascially, I'm havin' to learn to ride 'er smoothly all over again. It's just a matter of gettin' used to the new handling though. When I first got 'er I had to learn what kind of input she liked to learn to ride 'er smooth. It's just a matter of learnin' her new manners and fine tunin' my riding skills to suit 'er.
wink.gif

In several corners yesterday I had to change my line mid (actually pre-mid) corner to avoid runnin' off of the inside edge of the roadway. As I approached the corners I was leanin' and steerin' out of habit like I did with the stockers and that was simply too much input. It's a GOOD thing that I knew to expect differences and was takin' it easy to avoid surprises. This could have been a VERY unpleasant surprise if I had carried a lot of speed into any of those corners and had a bobble.
wink.gif

I'll post more about grip after I get 'em scuffed in good and get used to her new cornering characteristics so I can push 'er a little harder. Overall, I'm very happy with the tires at this point. What little pushin' I actually done yesterday has already given me more confidence in the POWER's than I ever had in the stockers. I also think that her newly found responsiveness is a good thing. It will force me to refine my smoothness and skills in order to ride 'er smoothly. Since that has become my ultimate goal in sport riding, it is a welcome challenge.
beerchug.gif

Now, if this martherfarkin' rain would clear out I'd climb my arse on and RIDE! I gotta finish scuffin' these babies in!
biggrin.gif

Here's a couple pics after my initial ride and scuff in. I leaned 'er further to the left than I've ever leaned 'er before. I fully expected to feel the peg scrape one time. Virtually no chicken strip on the left side...
wink.gif

31426477.jpg

After I bobbled it in the parking lot I sort of lost my nutz and didn't get over quite as far to the right on this ride, but I'll fix that next time I roll out.
wink.gif

31426479.jpg

wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

By the way, the above info and description of 'er handlin' characteristics is made by a no riding/handling terminology knowin' sport ridin' rookie. Please forgive me if I have misused the term turn-in or any other term. I just wrote it the way it made sense to me.
wink.gif
Any corrections in my use of riding/handling terminology is welcome and appreciated.
biggrin.gif

I posted this in yer other thread but seeing as how you got this one going, (and I'm such a ho)...

A word about going from old to new tires...

The new tires will always turn quicker (more quickly?) than the old ones as the old ones had a flat profile (from the wear).  

I'm about to skuff up a new set of M1's myself.  Put the first one on and rode the rear to the shop (35 miles, 'member the burnouts?
biggrin.gif
 ) didn't like how the bike handled at all!  

And I can't figure out why a new front could make it turn more slowly (didn't drop ino the corners like the old worn out batleaxxe) Definately did not turn as well.  I just put the rear on this afternoon, will post how I like the set as soon as I take er out.

Oh and I know yer a big boy but please take it easy whilst skuffin dem in!
beerchug.gif

Poppa D steps off the soap box.

Thanks for the info BT (and the pics)
beerchug.gif
Keep us posted when you get 'em fully scrubbed in and really get your lean on
wink.gif

I ordered the last set kneedraggers had weds morning..lol...should arrive monday morning according to ups tracking...glad to hear you like them....i had the pilot sports on my roadstar warrior and loved them...if these are anything like those then we are in good business....while my bike is at the shop also getting new chain and back lowering links installed so everything should seem a bit different...

I told ya you were gonna like them. Just wait till you put some seat time in on 'em. You will be taking corners way faster than you should be then. I know I do. When I tried the Michelins, it just felt like it wanted to "fall into" the corners compared to the previous dunlops. With your powers, you will lean it over as far as you ever have, then she will just grin at you and ask for more.
laugh.gif

View attachment laugh.gif

I posted this in yer other thread but seeing as how you got this one going, (and I'm such a ho)...

A word about going from old to new tires...

The new tires will always turn quicker (more quickly?) than the old ones as the old ones had a flat profile (from the wear).  

I'm about to skuff up a new set of M1's myself.  Put the first one on and rode the rear to the shop (35 miles, 'member the burnouts?
biggrin.gif
 ) didn't like how the bike handled at all!  

And I can't figure out why a new front could make it turn more slowly (didn't drop ino the corners like the old worn out batleaxxe) Definately did not turn as well.  I just put the rear on this afternoon, will post how I like the set as soon as I take er out.

Oh and I know yer a big boy but please take it easy whilst skuffin dem in!
beerchug.gif

Poppa D steps off the soap box.
Hey Mikey, you didn't go down to a 120-60 on the front did you? Seems like someone on another board mentioned not likin' the 120-60 front because of handlin'. Just a thought.

And yeah, I am takin' it easy on 'em while scuffin' 'em in. The chicken strip on the left was eliminated in a parking lot at low speed and steep lean angle. There was more chance of stallin' and droppin' 'er than there was slidin' 'er out. I ain't pushin' 'em hard at speed yet. Another 100-150 miles and they should be ready to cook.
wink.gif

I ordered the last set kneedraggers had weds morning..lol...should arrive monday morning according to ups tracking...glad to hear you like them....i had the pilot sports on my roadstar warrior and loved them...if these are anything like those then we are in good business....while my bike is at the shop also getting new chain and back lowering links installed so everything should seem a bit different...
I think you'll like the POWER tires. I can't find anything not to like about 'em.
wink.gif

I told ya you were gonna like them.  Just wait till you put some seat time in on 'em.  You will be taking corners way faster than you should be then.  I know I do.   When I tried the Michelins, it just felt like it wanted to "fall into" the corners compared to the previous dunlops.    With your powers, you will lean it over as far as you ever have, then she will just grin at you and ask for more.  
laugh.gif
Yeah, ya'll were right. If the rain will stay away and the roads dry off I'm gonna roll out again today to finish scuffin' 'em in. Gotta get 'em ready for the mountains.
wink.gif

Sounds great, BT! Those may get moved up on my list also, but we'll see I may want to use what's left of the stockers to get comfortable ridin' again before I make a change. Appreciate the info as always!

Sounds great, BT!  Those may get moved up on my list also, but we'll see I may want to use what's left of the stockers to get comfortable ridin' again before I make a change.  Appreciate the info as always!
I dunno, man. Might be best to start back up on the new meats so you can get used to ridin' on them. The handling is quite different so if you warm back up to the stockers you'll need to go through a second warm-up to the handlin' of the new tires. Might be best to come back in on the tires you plan to use. That way you only have to go through one "gettin' to know you" cycle with your bike before you're up to speed. You can always hold onto the stockers for emergency tires in the event that you ruin a tire and need something to put on until you can find/afford a replacement.

Just a thought...

Thought about that and may do that. Another reason is that I should have my new rims and can get the shoes put on them and not eat any more downtime from ridin' than absolutely necessary.

Just got back from my second scuffin' session on the POWER's. Scraped my left boot doin' a tight left hand u-turn in the parkin' lot!
eek2.gif
I'd say my low speed skills have improved a little.
biggrin.gif
Got the right side chicken strip a little closer to the edge, too. For whatever reason I just can't make myself go as far over to the right. I'll get there, though. I just keep doin' right hand circles and gradually work it a little further over.

I know what at least part of my problem is. I catch myself stiff armin' the bars when goin' right and not transferrin' my body weight to the right as much as I do when goin' to the left. I'm just not workin' WITH my bike. She's tryin' but I'm bein' a bad passenger.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I got about 75 miles in on some decent roads. Nothing great, but I got to get a feel for the handling characteristics of the new tires. Didn't have any bobbles today because I was concentratin' on bein' SMOOTH with my input. I'm also gettin' used to how she turns in now. Only (almost) clipped one apex and had to widen my line a little mid corner. The rest of the corners today went SMOOOOOOVE. Her new found agility is AWESOME! I'm sure she's still not on par in the corners with a litre bike or Super Sport 600 but she's a LOT better than before.
wink.gif

Still can't believe I scraped a boot! That's further than I've EVER leaned on ANY bike before. Felt like the damned left bar end was gonna touch down! I know it wasn't that far over because best I can tell, the peg never touched, but it seemed like one hell of a lean angle to me, still bein' a wet behind the ears rookie at this shid.
super.gif

By the way, I also cooked a few corners near the end of my ride just to see how the tires done. I was confident that they were scuffed in enough to play a little. Well, this fugger RAILS in the corners now. I never realized just how much the stockers must have been slippin' on me. It's hard to describe how they felt under throttle in the corners. I can't say that they felt like they were breakin' loose, but they definitely didn't give me the impression that they had a positive grip on the road. They seemed to let Da' Train constantly drift toward the outside of the corner. With the POWER tires, I set a line and that's where I go. It's honestly like it's on rails and has a fixed path instead of driftin' along a loose line. Am I makin' sense with that?
rock.gif
Anyway, the new tires are definitely confidence inspiring! That's great because confidence was one thing I really needed to help improve my skills, too.
wink.gif

Anyway, I'm lovin' my new tires!!! Wooooooohooooooo!!!
super.gif
While I can't compare 'em to anything other than the stockers, I'd feel pretty confident in sayin' that it'd be hard for any other tire to be any better. The POWER tires may not be leaps and bounds ahead of the other top shelf tires, but I'd almost be willin' to bet that they are at the very least just as good as anything else out there for street ridin'.

I feel like I've got a new bike. The tires make that much difference.
beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090166621 -->

biggrin.gif

wink.gif

super.gif

Thought I'd post up a pic of my scraped boot. It just barely got the edge of the tread that's in focus and rounded that edge. Yeah, it's a light scrape, but it's a scrape. You know how rookies are. Proud of anything they touch down in a corner.
laugh.gif

img_001.jpg

I should also add that she is in fact as stable as ever, at least to around 100. I eased up to around 100 today on a long straight and she was rock steady. Any bobbles I had yesterday can be blamed on my lack of smoothness and my unintentional steering/bar inputs. With my arms and hands relaxed she was once again rock steady.
wink.gif

BT ... thanks for the review ... I too will add the Pilot Powers to my list of tires to try. Sounds like another reason to be happy you decided not to trade down to a liter bike
smile.gif

BT ... thanks for the review ... I too will add the Pilot Powers to my list of tires to try. Sounds like another reason to be happy you decided not to trade down to a liter bike
smile.gif
No problem SR.
wink.gif
As for another reason to be happy about not tradin', I'm glad I didn't trade but I'm torn now. I actually love the swing that the busa took with the new tires toward the gixxer's more sensitive, more responsive handling characteristics. On one hand I'm now more curious than ever about how a litre bike feels. On the other hand I'm no longer inclined to trade the busa for one to find out. If I could bum a ride on a litre bike or maybe get one as a second bike someday I would do it in a heartbeat, but I'm not lettin' the busa go. There are too many reasons to keep 'er.
wink.gif

wink.gif

Back