power commander ? worth the money?

ratedpg89

Registered
i have been wondering if a power commander is something i should invest in. i have yosh slip ons and am wanting an after market air filter. k and n or equivalent. i have a tre installed which does help the low gear jerkiness. it causes idling problems i dont like though. was thinking of getting rid of it and goin with a power commander. was wondering if i would notice a difference with it? hp wise or torque? is it something only to use on a highly modified bike or would it be worth installing?thanks

If you just have the Slip-on's ... the PC3 should be able to add aywhere between 3-5 HPM on to your bike, if you are running a good MAP. Now that much increase in the HP would be harldy noticable...
blush.gif
The PC3 will make your bike run smoother if you have the right MAP to accomadate the cans, air filter and the TRE.... but any power gain is marginal!!

was thinking of getting rid of it and goin with a power commander [/QUOTE]

... You install the TRE to cross the 186MPH restriction... the PC3 will not de-restrict your bike!! Jut thought I'd let you know

Take off the TRE unless you are looking to break 184mph. Tune the bike for the slip on's. The most you will gain is about 2-3hp. You do not need the power commander until you go to full pipes.

I put the PC3 usb on my 99 and it made a noticable difference and was worth it.

The maps were created on Bigger Dannos' bike, just the PC3 with no mods will give a hp increase. I think it is 5-6 hp increase? But really makes it run better, pulls harder and smoother. BIG difference.

The maps were created on Bigger Dannos' bike, just the PC3 with no mods will give a hp increase. I think it is 5-6 hp increase? But really makes it run better, pulls harder and smoother. BIG difference.
The point is you can do the same thing with out the PC with no mods if needed. You do not need the PC to get a good tune. It certainly will not hurt.

The point is you can do the same thing with out the PC with no mods if needed. You do not need the PC to get a good tune. It certainly will not hurt.
How? Yosh box?

I wasn't aware you could fine tune the ecu well enough to make it run right or better.

Reprogram the ecu? Who does it and how?

I have a 2000 Busa with only Micron slip ons. I rode it that way for 2yrs. I finally got sick of the abrubt throttle response while playing in the twisties and bought a power commander off of EBAY. It was programmed for yosh slipons. I can Honestly tell you that I wish I had bought it 2yrs ago. The bike is smoother with less vibration and is much easier to ride fast in the turns because the abrubt throttle response is all but gone! Friends heard me pull into a gas station parking lot and wondered what I did to my bike. They said that it sounded alot different (better)! I had it dynoed at a motorcycle rally this weekend and it was the big dog of the day pulling 165.9 hp! All the big dogs were there...Kawi ZX10 with Akropovic exhaust pulled 160, New R1 with Micron undertail exhaust pulled 157, Cbr1000 159hp (this guy owned the dyno), older GSXR1000 with akropovic exhaust and intaked mods pulled 150, CBR1199XX pulled 140, and a big ZZR 1200 pulled a respectable 147 hp.

Way to go BOKMAN! As for the power commander, it can't hurt especially if you have the mod bug.
biggrin.gif

How? Yosh box?

I wasn't aware you could fine tune the ecu well enough to make it run right or better.

your dealer can map your stock ECU

How? Yosh box?

your dealer can map your stock ECU
yes, but how?

A yosh box will only adjust across the board + or - in 5% increments. Not good enough!

Is there another way, that's what I"m askin.

If there is a better way than a PC3usb, speak up.

For now, the PC3usb rocks and there isn't anything better.

hell i dont know. There was a thread on here a few weeks back that mentioned something about it.
blush.gif

How? Yosh box?

I had took my bike to a dyno out hear Gemelo Racing and the guy told me don't spent my money on a power commander he did the air box mod and tuned the ecu with a yoshimura box and got 13hp out of it.

On my 00 I did all kinds of mods on it and for the most part it made it less ridable, faster in a straight line but not very good leaned over, leaned over is more important to me. And being nice and quite so the piggys don't hear me is nice also.

It's still a very fast bike stock, and mine is bone stock, still has the rear fender in tact.

A friend of mine has one of the OG yosh boxs, he worked for yosh and is still involved so I know a bit about it, not braggin or tryin to be something I'm not.

The PC3usb is the best thing I"ve ever done to either of my Busas'. And the box mod is cool and all, gives it a bit more oomph but in real world testing the stock set up performed better, imagine that.
laugh.gif

There are two things I would consider doing to my stock 99, one, a Ti akro system or Turbo. The Akropovic is the quitest of the bunch producing big tourqe improvment with the most weight reduction, so it would be worth the extra noise.

Turbo? run it thru a stock exhaust that was hogged out, turbos are quiet to begin with so the gutted cans wouldn't make it that loud and it would look stock...sleeper.
cool.gif
Only thing you would hear is the pop off valve.

I've tried using the yosh box and it didn't give the same results.

If it works for you, cool, I aint gonna knock it.

My .02.

Back