Power comman

arey

Go Giants
Donating Member
Registered
Let me start from the beginning. Last July a friend of mine and I took our bikes to a dyno shop to get air box mod and have it tuned, They both had full exhaust his has the yoshi tri oval, mines the Tsukigi oval. The guy @ the shop told us don't waste money on a PC. Well before he started any mods he dynode my friends bike and it made 159 hp mines made 156. Then he did
the air box mod and tuned the ecu with a yosh box and my friends made 169.5 mines made 169.9 Ok after my friend and me hearing people talking about pc's so much and saying that's the way to go we decided the get one. Big mistake! should have listen to mec that told us not to waste or money. Well we took our bikes to another dyno center last Saturday. The mec dynode our bikes and they made 170 hp. He did say they probably won't be able to get any more hp out of them because they were tuned really well but we was so hyped with the pc's that we got them any way. Well guess what my bike stayed at the some hp as did my friends. I guess if the only mods are going to be air box and full exhaust it's better to just have the ecu tuned with the yosh box. We had paid the first mec for the air box mod and getting it tuned $240. Last Saturday spent $350 for the pc3r and $80 to get it tuned a total of $430
sad.gif

<!--EDIT|arey
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145580083 -->

d00d a pc allows you to tune and change maps whenever you want. Yeah you can get the bike tuned with a yosh box but if you ever change anything on your bike.... you'll shuck out another 240 to get it tuned again where if you had a pc all you would have to do would be to change a map.

Daym, hate to hear that, but that,s one of those things that eat at ya thinkn about what IF, I tried a PC? Well, now you know. Maybe you two should have bought 1 pc, and kinda experiminted a little.

Yeah! I understand that but if you are only planning on staying with an air box mod and full exhaust it's just better getting it tuned with a yosh box. I was expecting @ least 5 more hp with a pc.

Daym, hate to hear that, but that,s one of those things that eat at ya thinkn about what IF, I tried a PC? Well, now you know. Maybe you two should have bought 1 pc, and kinda experiminted a little.
Yeah they had tried my bike first and I told my friend to leave his like it was but I guess he wanted to give it a shot.

<!--EDIT|arey
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145579939 -->

i hate reading shid like this..cause it makes me feel compelled to help out by sharing what i know..and that's a lot of typing on my end.
laugh.gif

so...please god...it's late...let me be short, clear and concise here..

Peak RWHP is a very small part of a real big picture...dynograph snapshots of single gear pulls at "wot position only" just to eval peak #'s ain't shid for tuning...and as stock?..the busa is already rich up top so the addition of a full exhaust actually balances out wot redline..so many who look exclusively at peak #'s/wot "ONLY" will always be sorely disappointed at what they see of the addition of a pc as every map I've seen so far for a full exhaust busa is typically left "Zero'ed Out" up towards the top revs at wot.

What the properly mapped/tuned pc does do is "Adresses Across The Board AF Tuning"....which results in crisp throttle response (sans any surging) and ultra smooth power delivery from ALL and ANY part throttle positions throughout the entire rev range...increasing "Drive-Ability" annnnd...DECREASING..."Elapsed Acceleration Times"..when properly mapped and tuned.

In short?...PC's don't make the power...they simply REFINE THE QUALITY AND DELIVERY of the power made....which does in fact increase performance if one looks at and compares the "Elapsed Acceleration Times" (contained right tyhere in the dynojet software package)....just ask your dyno man...and if he's worth his salt?..he'll know what your talking about and happily show you with a few mouse clicks...if he's not?...he'll deny any knowledge that such software exists in his "package".

PCIII Custom Maps: are developed in every 250rpm increment by "Throttle Snapping" from all columns of "Throttle Percentage" and reviewing the associated AF ratio results and making the appropriate adjustment to each and every individual cell based on all those AF results.

A Yosh Box Tuned ECU can be "custom mapped over" by a PC however...a Yosh Box Tuned ECU must be brought back to oem spec in order for one to use most (if not all) publically available existing maps..and yosh boxs are only capable of addressing a small fraction of what a PCIII tunes in as the PC is a far more comprehensive method of tuning than is yosh..if?..you look at "Across The Board" rather than just peak #'s.

I rode my busa with a full race akra for 2-3 weeks before installing a PCIIIUSB w/ Ivans Map...and it did rip up top with just the pipe but...the PC was more than worth every penny paid as it brought the other 9/10ths of my rev range/throttle postion/response too "Spot-On"....and that 9/10ths area I speak of?..that the part "I" use most...and that last tenth?...well?...I don't use that all that much and is best left for braggarts at the dyno...and as far as I'm concerned?..they can have it!
laugh.gif

But the properly mapped and tuned PC is worth it's weight in road..and I wouldn't have a piped busa without one.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

So Jinkster...I live in central florida...whos "THE" Dyno man and shop to go to??

<!--EDIT|Justyntym
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145587595 -->

i hate reading shid like this..cause it makes me feel compelled to help out by sharing what i know..and that's a lot of typing on my end.
laugh.gif

so...please god...it's late...let me be short, clear and concise here..

Peak RWHP is a very small part of a real big picture...dynograph snapshots of single gear pulls at "wot position only" just to eval peak #'s ain't shid for tuning...and as stock?..the busa is already rich up top so the addition of a full exhaust actually balances out wot redline..so many who look exclusively at peak #'s/wot "ONLY" will always be sorely disappointed at what they see of the addition of a pc as every map I've seen so far for a full exhaust busa is typically left "Zero'ed Out" up towards the top revs at wot.

What the properly mapped/tuned pc does do is "Adresses Across The Board AF Tuning"....which results in crisp throttle response (sans any surging) and ultra smooth power delivery from ALL and ANY part throttle positions throughout the entire rev range...increasing "Drive-Ability" annnnd...DECREASING..."Elapsed Acceleration Times"..when properly mapped and tuned.

In short?...PC's don't make the power...they simply REFINE THE QUALITY AND DELIVERY of the power made....which does in fact increase performance if one looks at and compares the "Elapsed Acceleration Times" (contained right tyhere in the dynojet software package)....just ask your dyno man...and if he's worth his salt?..he'll know what your talking about and happily show you with a few mouse clicks...if he's not?...he'll deny any knowledge that such software exists in his "package".

PCIII Custom Maps: are developed in every 250rpm increment by "Throttle Snapping" from all columns of "Throttle Percentage" and reviewing the associated AF ratio results and making the appropriate adjustment to each and every individual cell based on all those AF results.

A Yosh Box Tuned ECU can be "custom mapped over" by a PC however...a Yosh Box Tuned ECU must be brought back to oem spec in order for one to use most (if not all) publically available existing maps..and yosh boxs are only capable of addressing a small fraction of what a PCIII tunes in as the PC is a far more comprehensive method of tuning than is yosh..if?..you look at "Across The Board" rather than just peak #'s.

I rode my busa with a full race akra for 2-3 weeks before installing a PCIIIUSB w/ Ivans Map...and it did rip up top with just the pipe but...the PC was more than worth every penny paid as it brought the other 9/10ths of my rev range/throttle postion/response too "Spot-On"....and that 9/10ths area I speak of?..that the part "I" use most...and that last tenth?...well?...I don't use that all that much and is best left for braggarts at the dyno...and as far as I'm concerned?..they can have it!
laugh.gif

But the properly mapped and tuned PC is worth it's weight in road..and I wouldn't have a piped busa without one.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Excellent write up. You are spot on.

laugh.gif

I do feel the bike responds a little better but not much compared to the price difference. Our ecu was brought back to oem spec.

The ecu setting should still be there I would take the PC's off and resale them...

gotta agree with the Jinkster here-PCIII does across-the-board, all-around tuning; keeps you from running rich or lean AF ratios n shud increase your mpg when riding-if you do the speed limit:)

got a PCIII myself, cuz I plan on doing more than just a pipe n airbox mod-lookn @ turbos and while they all come with Fuel management units ready to take over, when I hit the track I can adjust for air temp, humidity, pressure changes (just telln u its possible-I only race in WI so never that big a change for me exc. temp@ track) and when I go back to street ridin, i can go back to 'normal' tune with just some spare time and a laptop.

also...personal riding style could play a huge role here as well as...straight liners (i.e. Top Speed Kings and 1/4 Milers) typically won't have as many opportunities/reasons to appreciate crisp smooth throttle response throughout the entire range of throttle positions as...much of what they do is by and large usually done at wot...whereas the corner carvers and ST'ers out there will love the crisp yet smooth response....especially when rolling on and hammering out of corner exits.  
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145588768 -->

So Jinkster...I live in central florida...whos "THE" Dyno man and shop to go to??
sorry....i'm not familiar with the central florida shops.
Well I kinda ment I'm in florida (and willing to travel) and none in central florida command my confidence or even have a dyno that I know of. I know where port st lucie is (kinda far though)...I'd travel a bit for a good recommendation.

<!--EDIT|Justyntym
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145588747 -->

Back