powdercoating  / anodizing rearsets  PROBLEM

rpm9001

Donating Member
Registered
I posted this before with no answers.   I'm preping my rear sets and rear peg bracket to anodize them, But ran into a problem.

The heal guard's have bushings in them and I see no way to get them out.  I can't put them in the tank with the rubber and metal bushings still in the part.

My question is:  Has anyone ever removed them?  I see people have powdercoated them, and I wonder how they did it with out removing them with the bake process.

I will not paint them!  My mind is set with what I want to do, but it's not possible till they are out.

Any one know how to do this?

THEY CAN NOT BE PRESSED OUT FROM THE BACK SIDE, THE BACK HAS A LIP THAT COVERS THE RIM OF THE BUSHING. PRESSING OUT WITH A SOCKET,ECT WILL NOT WORK.

Thanks for any help.
IMG_2585_0.JPG

<!--EDIT|rpm9001
Reason for Edit: None given...|1132775534 -->

When I powdercoated the rearsets on my 03 LE the Powdercoater told me there was no need to remove the bushings

Just be careful.

<!--EDIT|tedbiele
Reason for Edit: None given...|1132784379 -->

The little rubber gromet/washer/spacer on the backside of the bushing is simply glued/adhered to the bushing, removes very easily. If you do powdercoat instead of anodize, remember to tape off the bushing holes or you'll never get them back in. As I stated before, when I pressed my bushings out (myself), I used a plug slightly smaller than the rear diameter of the bushing and used a socket that would fit inside the pocket area on front of the set. When you push if I remeber correctly the rubber will give and stretch but eventually it limits and the bushing WILL come out. There did appear to be some type of adhesive holding it in, try adding just a bit of heat to the outside housing (not to the rubber directly).

I do also believe they could be powdercoated with the bushing in. The oven bake is not at that high of a temperature as to have adverse affects on the rubber. The only possible thing I might see is possibly drying the rubber out a bit and decreasing it's overall life, but thats just a possibility on my part.

Thank you everyone!

They are out. I did press them out, I did not want to press on the rubber but tried it and they did come out!

Thanks again for all the help!

Back