Powdercoat parts

EAKbusa

Registered
IMHO my '03 Metallic Burnt Copper SE (not orange thank you very much) is quite a sharp looking bike with the black frame, swingarm etc. However, now the footpegs/rearsets, levers, gas lid ring, and pillion posts look kind of funny in silver. So, I am wanting to have them powdercoated black to try to complete the blackout effect (except for the pipes).

Anyone have experience with powdercoating? Where can I have it done? How much? Do the parts need to be prepped back to bare metal? Is the finish durable (will it wear off from boot wear)? Or can this be done effectively with plain old paint?

Any recomendations?

Eric

See here what I mean. I think it would look so cool with all black against the (ok fine I'll say it) "orange". Kind of an anti-chrome thing. Everyone has shiny chrome and polished aluminum but I have never seen a blacked out bike.

Let Me know If you find out anything, I'll be watching this thread...I have the same plans pretty much...Should look sorta like this....    :thumbsup:

Hold on I forgot the Drivers Peg and Levers....Wait a couple...

OK Lever, Rear Brake arm, Pegs, and while your at it, get them fairing bolts done... :cool:

Eakbusa_copy.jpg

There's a place in Nashville that does excellent powercoat, chrome, nickel plate etc. A lot of shops send there stuff there (even from the west coast). Can't think of the name, but a yellowpages type search should find it. They nickel plated a frame for me once, nice job and very reasonable. They will stip/wash the part anyway, so just get the dirt/mud/grime off of it and it'll be ok.

Call here, Ask for Jon.
Tell him that "I" sent you.
Tell him that you want it perfect,
because it's on a brand new bike and you want a good price!
He WILL fix you up!

SPORT CHROME

7510 Orangewood Ave. Building #B

Stanton Ca, 90680

Phone - (714) 799-9900

I have a friend that has a black 02, I have been trying to explain to him that Suzuki didn't finish his bike, and how great it would look if it were done the way you explain it!

I vote YES!

Do it! :thumbsup:

I would even venture to say that he's got all the stock parts to use, for an exchange, so you don't have to wait, while the bike is down.

Thanks SLEEPERBUSA, I will give him a try. I ma really anxious to see what it looks like. I love the idea of an exchange, that would be even better so I could do it now instead of waiting till winter.

I've had my 40th Busa for just over a month and have been thinking the same thing. I am also considering the Black Satin D&D slip ons or maybe even some other brand of carbon fiber cans. I was also wondering if that part of the exhaust pipe that come out from under the bike and up to the exhaust cans can be powder coated black as well.

I am all for the blacked out look.

I even think somebody makes stainless steel brake lines that have a black plastic protective coating on them, if you want to go the extra mile. :D

Now all you would need are some 03' GSXR1000 forks.

I kind of like the gold forks. It looks nice with the metallic copper paint and the amber of the turn signals. I am planing on getting some carbon fiber cans when I can afford it. As for the mid pipes, there is a high temp powdercoating that can be applied but I think I will leave them silver. Standard powdercoating will not take the high temps of exhaust pipes (according to a web site I checked out yesterday).

Another option (at least Micron makes them) is cans out of gold anodized aluminum, or gold colored carbon, but I am leaning towards just plain old black carbon fiber bolt-ons, either Yosh or Micron.

Oh Yeah the Gold forks are cool but I belive the 03 1000's are gold but they have the Black DLC coating on the shaft...even more stuff black...

My 2003 busa needed some powdercoating done and I sent it to the place I have all my chrome dipping done. It's called Custom Works and it's in SC. They have chromed, and powdercoated my entire bike and it's awesome. Their work is the best I have seen. I got my powdercoated stuff back really quick and it's awesome. You might wanna give them a call or check them out on the web.

Their address: www.customworksplating.com

My 2003 busa needed some powdercoating done and I sent it to the place I have all my chrome dipping done.  It's called Custom Works and it's in SC.  They have chromed, and powdercoated my entire bike and it's awesome.  Their work is the best I have seen.  I got my powdercoated stuff back really quick and it's awesome. You might wanna give them a call or check them out on the web.

Their address: www.customworksplating.com
Hey Thanks Man, I'll prolly have a look here in awhile...I want to get the pegs and levers done...

Anyone have experience with powdercoating? Where can I have it done? How much? Do the parts need to be prepped back to bare metal? Is the finish durable (will it wear off from boot wear)?[/QUOTE]

Bump this old thread...I am thinking about powercoating my rear sets black...id like to know if powercoating is durable enough for these.

we need a resident powder coater. I want to get some parts coated black and some red. If there was one guy on our site that we could go to for good prices that would rock. Oh well, anyone know what the cost might be for some levers or rear sets or similar. I am just looking for a good edgemakated guess...

Well im in the process of having the following items powder coated, on my 04 limited.
front and rear peg brackets
rear brake arm and hanger
front pegs
rear brake and shifter ass.
rear master cylinder
rear axle adjusting blocks
rear cush drive hub

Also im having the following items anodized, black
front and rear axles
brake and clutch levers
most of all the hardware thats stainless will be anodized,  just about any thing thats silver,,,,, will be black, when is done!!!
So far the powder coater, gave me a price of $150.for everything thats on the top list. Im going to an anodizing shop this week to get a price,,,,,, for the lower list... Ill update you as soon as i know!!!!
As for the powder coating i still haven't made up my mind to go with gloss black or satin black for to top list,,,, The satin black will match the frame and swingarm, as to the gloss black would end up showing highlites to the parts?
rock.gif
?

cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|GIXERHP
Reason for Edit: None given...|1131336508 -->

cool.gif

cool.gif

cool.gif

Powdercoating is very durable. It is also inexpensive compared to something like chroming. I had the rearsets, rear brake lever and a few other parts on Midnight done for a decent price. The screws I painted with a high temp black paint. The look is great and I have a few other parts to paint also.

If you want some stuff done send it out to me i can have it done less than a block from my old shop one week turn around he does all my stuff and if you need pics i got them,ask Cache about the Purple 1k i just did.I can get you a good deal if you do what he calls a batch.If it is stuff i have on hand i can do what i got here and do an exchange type deal.almost any color you like.

Gixerhp - You doing black? I have an 04 LE as well, and was in thinking the same thing.

Goldenchild - I'll probably hook up with you in a week or so to take you up on that offer. Do you think the cost will be around what Gixerhp found?

<!--EDIT|Imp66
Reason for Edit: None given...|1131346351 -->

If you want some stuff done send it out to me i can have it done less than a block from my old shop one week turn around he does all my stuff and if you need pics i got them,ask Cache about the Purple 1k i just did.I can get you a good deal if you do what he calls a batch.If it is stuff i have on hand i can do what i got here and do an exchange type deal.almost any color you like.
I was just about to say that Dan can take care of ya...

Back