breakn her down for paint/help?

04purpleyerple

Registered
I am breaking the bike down to get some powdercoating done. I need to get both wheels off. Will i have to do anything to the breaks? Is there a way to make it stand up without the 2 wheels? I will be powdercoating back footpegs, front rearsets, rotars, fairing bolts, and wheels. If you have had black wheels and tried this, can you polish out the stock black wheels(whats under the black). If anyone has done some powdercoating can u please put some pics up. I have never broken down a bike.

thanks guys!
kC

Last edited:
I know that there are guys that have polished out the factory wheels. There is a video that I saw somewhere where a guy did a step by step. He had to use airplane paint stripper to get it off, and it just melts off! Kinda crazy. He used one of those plastic dish scrapers to get the paint off and then polished away.

Front and rear stands

DSC00284.JPG

DSC00285.JPG

19540_1293481890661_1038712495_30806195_7000879_n.jpg

I used jack stands. Put a rod through the front axle with jack stands on each side the then put 2 jack stands under the swing arm on each side. I used an engine puller to lift the bike.
Where are you getting your powdercoating done. I have a guy that does it up here pretty cheap as a hobby and is really good. $75 per wheel and color or color combo. and 20 per side on the front pegs and brake/shifter and 10 per side on the rear. Total 60 for all pegs, shifter and brake. PM if interested.

this guy was 73 per wheel, and he said 150 for all pass and rider footpegs, all 3 rotors, brake and clutch lever, and fairing bolts. its some guy local here in amarllio,tx

I would just take your time and if you are unsure where things will go when you have to put it all back together, take pics of the parts. Taking pics when I built my first show car really helped me out.

I would just take your time and if you are unsure where things will go when you have to put it all back together, take pics of the parts. Taking pics when I built my first show car really helped me out.

Great advise! It may also help to put specific parts in seperate Ziploc bags with lables as not to get confused later. I did this when I had some parts powdercoated, it really helped me with the reinstallation!:beerchug:

You have take the calipers loose before taking off the wheels. You can hang them back out of the way but the wheels will not come off without them loose. You will scratch the wheels!!!! Good luck

Back