Powdercoat issues

nickespi

Registered
I had some parts powdercoated locally and I am having tons of problems putting things back together. Bolts aren't wanting to go back into holes, brake bar won't go back onto swingarm, and other little problems. It's obviously from the powdercoat buildup in these areas. Do I have any options to get things to fit right again? I'm afraid I might have to have everything completely stripped and re-done the right way.

You might need to run a thread tap thru the bolt holes to get the excess powdercoat out of there. Also you could take a razor blade and scrape off the powdercoat if things dont line up properly. I do some of my own powdercoating (small parts) and if I do something with bolt holes on it I will use hi temp silicone plugs to plug up the holes.
I hope this helps.

That was one of my ideas. This may be a stupid question, but powder coating has color all the way through, correct? Basically, if I sand down through some of the coating(not all the way to metal) it should have a fairly consistant color, right?

Yes sanding or grinding it down will dull it.
You should only really have to address areas that wont show though , correct ?
I had to do a bit of fixin' but only a bit.
I simply used my pocket knife to score out the PC from a couple holes that had become too small for bolts to pass thru.
Its soft enough so that a sharp blade will trim out whatever you need.

What do you guys reccomend to plug holes on the parts that I want to get powdercoated? Where would I get this stuff from?

Back