Powdercoated wheel, brakes now rub

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
I got my wheels powdercoated and put em back on today. (Stock, Gen1 front wheel.)The dealer put the rotors back on so he could balance the wheel. I dont know if he removed the powdercoat where th rotor mounts or not.
I put the wheel on today, it spun freely with out the brake calipers on, but when I put the calipers on, its rubs enough that itll only rotate once will a decent push, where without the calipers it would go around 3-4 times.

Could the powdercoat build up have move the rotor out into the brakes? Would bleeding and replacing the fluid allow the pads to center up on the rotors new position?

Thanks Org:thumbsup:

Its quite possible that there is to much powder coat, but I have never had this happen to me. My busa is custome painted, with the wheels being powder coated silver. I have no issues at all. Bring it back to them and as them what the heck is going on man. As a matter of fact, we just got done working on this yoyosong 250 starter bike. It is in perfect show room condition, but it hasnt been started in a year. So we drained all the fluids, replenished all the fluids. Took the wheels off to put new wheel berrings in them. But when we would move the bike forward it would lock up on something. That is what we are trying to fix and I should be able to post a solid answer to you tomorrow. What we are noticing, is that the sprock rivets are hitting the calipers. So we are trying to make adjustments to accomdate the rubbing.

i would think giving the lever a couple sqeezes would center up the pistons on the rotor. (you probably have already done this)... maybe one of your rotors are warped a bit or bent from the dealer manhandling the rim. that is a good question about if the dealer scrubbed the powdercoat off before mounting the rotor.. hummmmm...

i would think giving the lever a couple sqeezes would center up the pistons on the rotor. (you probably have already done this)... maybe one of your rotors are warped a bit or bent from the dealer manhandling the rim. that is a good question about if the dealer scrubbed the powdercoat off before mounting the rotor.. hummmmm...

This could have happened. So yeah bring the bike back to them and ask them what they did? You shouldnt have to deal with this crap because they dont know how to turn a wrench.

RocketHead- Yep, I squeezed the lever a bunch, took the calipers off and then put em back on, same result.

SSG- Please lemme know what ya find out with you issue. I dropped the rotors off when the dealer got the wheel back, had him put em on so he could balance em.

Maybe ill pull the rotors off myself and see whats underneath, maybe switch sides with em and see f that does it.

Ive been in the garage workin on the bike for 8 hours today, so im done for the night.

Something to try... loosen up the pinch bolts and axle, also the caliper bolts. Give the wheel a good spin and then grab the lever. it is possible the fork heads turned just a hair and the calipers are not centered. once you do that, the tighten the axle and pinch bolts and the calipers last.

manual does say before tightening the (brake side) pinch bolts to sit on bike and push on the bars a bit to center everything up then tighten pinch bolts. maybe try that.... tomorrow of course:laugh:

the area where the rotors bolt up should of been masked off. notice this area is bare aluminum from the factory. powdercoat can get pretty thick, especially if its a 2 or 3 coat color. (candies or metallics) your rotors could be sticking out from the wheel .050 or more.

I tried MC's no luck. Looks like Ill need to take the wheel and rotors off tomorrow, see whats underneath and go from there. Ill try sittin on it and givin her a wiggle too. Thanks for the suggestions guys:thumbsup:

this is a stock wheel from the factory. notice the bare aluminum where the rotors bolt up.
wheel.jpg

wheel.jpg

I thought your brake pads were self aligning. Even if the rotor was off center .050 shouldn't make a difference.

If it were me, I'd take the calipers off, push the pads apart and reinstall. If the wheel spins freely before pumping the lever it's not the wheel.

The pads should drag some. There may not be a problem at all. The pads should drag enough to keep the rotor warm but not hot to the touch.

I took the rotors off, sure enough, powercoat underneath. Got the dremal out, ground it off, it wasnt alot, but it was there. Did both sides, pryed the brake pads out and put it all back together.
We spun like it used too, I can here the pads rubbing a bit just like they did before the powdercoating was. Im calling BOTH the Powdercoater and the shop that put the rotors back on and giving em a peice of my mind. They both should have known better. Heck, the guy at the powdercaot shop has 2 bikes and does track days.

Thanks for the help guys, one way or another i should have this thing working by the Bash, or I go down there anyway and :rulez:jump off the Dam

Just talked to a friend that had his wheels done at the same place, they masked his properly....

So, Custom Fabrication in Harpursville NY HATES BUSA'S!!!!!!

I got a good price.to start with, so just gonna let.em know they screwed up. She almost done a ready for her bjg debut.
Just need a master link and ill be riding. Gonna bleed the brakes and clutch too, good maintenance.
And the phone bein stupid, pics won't upload....
Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

glad you got it figured out, the powdercoating place was just being lazy, if that's what they do then they knew to mask it off. owell, now you know for the next time.:whistle:

Back