Pop up ads on the org?

Just curious if clicking on a sponsors ad/link generates same desired result as clicking on one that isn't from a sponsor? Does it 'pay' you the same or because it's a sponsor and they have already paid you is it less?

Blanca here is how it breaks down...

Any of the banners that you see on the SPONSORS PAGE are house ads, meaning that they are direct supporters of the site. They pay a flat fee and often times frequent the forum and post up, we want you to use them to make purchases for sure ultimately that is why they are working with us.

The other ads you see around the site are indirect ads from Google. Google sells our ad placements to the highest bidder to win the ad spot. We might be talking about 50 cents per thousand times a banner is seen but it makes money. The type of ads go right along with the conversations and I know that many of you have called this out before... When you see a NRA banner in a gun thread or a Halloween costume in Halloween thread. Those are smart ads that change to the content. Since we don't get to choose those ads we get some off the cuff ads sometimes... The ad bidding goes on real time and constantly changes, I have removed a lot of political ads but its hard to catch them all.

It works like this.. I have an account with Google and I tell them I have ad spaces X size 300 x 250 lets say. Google takes our stats and post up to prospective real estate buyers our web traffic, type of website we are and average banners viewed each day... Advertisers then go and bid on the real estate. The banner at the very top of the page is considered hot so we get better rates than the ones we had on the bottom, that is why we took the banners off the bottom and put them in the threads... Google sells our spaces a couple of ways... 1) Number of times the banner is viewed, that means that every time you load a new page a new banner is pulled up, we might get a penny or a quarter of a penny but we get something every time... 2) Clicks, when you see a banner that has something that catches your eye and you click on it we get the first penny then we get a second amount for someone actually clicking on it and going to the advertisers page and looking... It may be a nickel, it may be a dollar it just depends on who is bidding on the ad space.

The problems we have been seeing is that as the economy has gone down and the motorcycle industry has slowed there are less and less companies able to advertise, this means less real time bidding wars. We used to be a prime website for banners and to some extent we still are but there just aren't as many companies able to play in the advertising game these days...

This is why I get really frustrated with people that have ad blockers on because they just don't like ads... It's one thing to have a slow connection and need to turn the banners off, its another when you just don't want to see the banners. Do the math right, the more people we have that see the banners the more we make for nothing more than just coming to the site to do the things you love to do.. This website is still dependent on the members in one way or the other. We have lost many great direct banners advertisers because the economy is tough and they cut cost where they could... The org is really at a pivotal point, I don't think we have been this drained in a long long time.. We aren't at that nuclear shut down point yet but I do know that every year in the fall our volume falls off and we lost direct advertisers until the next spring. If we know that we make money based off of volume then you can now start to see why we try to ramp up in the spring and summer to hold us over the winter in the really slow months..

We used to do the raffles but that got shut down from paypal, so here we are trying to pay the bills in a different way... Same problem, different day...

cap

Last edited:
Well on a personal note here, i would rather pay than have the Obama video all the time!
But who cares what i say any ways!
Im unemployed and would still contribute here first!

Im right there with you John, i would rather donate. Capt I dont click on ads if i need something i google it and do research and find the best place to purchase it from which is usually atleast a month after i start thinking about buying something and then when its motorcycle related i usually go to justin at honda toledo east and i push our sponsors every chance i get and if you dont believe that go look at some of the posts like the one momar posted the other day, even if i unblock ads im not going to click on them and thats how the money is made by the amount of times the ads are clicked on am i correct?. Whenever im on here on my phone which is about 1/2 the time i see the ads and they fill up my whole screen and slide with the screen and are sometimes impossible to get rid of on my bionic. And to the comment that i just take and take from the site i will leave that alone as i refuse to start another fight but honestly that comment has greatly disappointed me! I will figure out how to specifically unblock the org from my ad blocker just to please you and honestly ive brought up donating or having something for purchase several times but you dont like that but because of how much i enjoy this site i would gladly donate. I dont have much money but i will gladly donate $10 here and there to help out the site because i believe in this place and have made several good friends because of it. Dont be so quick to judge someone who you have never really taken the time to get to know. You see me joking around on the site but you have never seen the personal side of me nor have you seen my personal interaction with other members.

Ok cool. Thanks for the explanation.
One question. You say banner ads from sponsors on sponsors page but what about sponsor banner ads on top of a thread?
And a thought. You say PayPal shut down the raffle, how about a member organized raffle? One trusted member holds funds and distributes number/tickets either physically or electronically and then awards prize themself?

Blanca here is how it breaks down...

Any of the banners that you see on the SPONSORS PAGE are house ads, meaning that they are direct supporters of the site. They pay a flat fee and often times frequent the forum and post up, we want you to use them to make purchases for sure ultimately that is why they are working with us.

The other ads you see around the site are indirect ads from Google. Google sells our ad placements to the highest bidder to win the ad spot. We might be talking about 50 cents per thousand times a banner is seen but it makes money. The type of ads go right along with the conversations and I know that many of you have called this out before... When you see a NRA banner in a gun thread or a Halloween costume in Halloween thread. Those are smart ads that change to the content. Since we don't get to choose those ads we get some off the cuff ads sometimes... The ad bidding goes on real time and constantly changes, I have removed a lot of political ads but its hard to catch them all.

It works like this.. I have an account with Google and I tell them I have ad spaces X size 300 x 250 lets say. Google takes our stats and post up to prospective real estate buyers our web traffic, type of website we are and average banners viewed each day... Advertisers then go and bid on the real estate. The banner at the very top of the page is considered hot so we get better rates than the ones we had on the bottom, that is why we took the banners off the bottom and put them in the threads... Google sells our spaces a couple of ways... 1) Number of times the banner is viewed, that means that every time you load a new page a new banner is pulled up, we might get a penny or a quarter of a penny but we get something every time... 2) Clicks, when you see a banner that has something that catches your eye and you click on it we get the first penny then we get a second amount for someone actually clicking on it and going to the advertisers page and looking... It may be a nickel, it may be a dollar it just depends on who is bidding on the ad space.

The problems we have been seeing is that as the economy has gone down and the motorcycle industry has slowed there are less and less companies able to advertise, this means less real time bidding wars. We used to be a prime website for banners and to some extent we still are but there just aren't as many companies able to play in the advertising game these days...

This is why I get really frustrated with people that have ad blockers on because they just don't like ads... It's one thing to have a slow connection and need to turn the banners off, its another when you just don't want to see the banners. Do the math right, the more people we have that see the banners the more we make for nothing more than just coming to the site to do the things you love to do.. This website is still dependent on the members in one way or the other. We have lost many great direct banners advertisers because the economy is tough and they cut cost where they could... The org is really at a pivotal point, I don't think we have been this drained in a long long time.. We aren't at that nuclear shut down point yet but I do know that every year in the fall our volume falls off and we lost direct advertisers until the next spring. If we know that we make money based off of volume then you can now start to see why we try to ramp up in the spring and summer to hold us over the winter in the really slow months..

We used to do the raffles but that got shut down from paypal, so here we are trying to pay the bills in a different way... Same problem, different day...

cap

One question. You say banner ads from sponsors on sponsors page but what about sponsor banner ads on top of a thread?
And a thought. You say PayPal shut down the raffle, how about a member organized raffle? One trusted member holds funds and distributes number/tickets either physically or electronically and then awards prize themself?

i would happily take part in something like this as long as it wasnt too expensive

Paypal has specific regulations that prohibit raffles on their network...

Im right there with you John, i would rather donate. Capt I dont click on ads if i need something i google it and do research and find the best place to purchase it from which is usually atleast a month after i start thinking about buying something and then when its motorcycle related i usually go to justin at honda toledo east and i push our sponsors every chance i get and if you dont believe that go look at some of the posts like the one momar posted the other day, even if i unblock ads im not going to click on them and thats how the money is made by the amount of times the ads are clicked on am i correct?. Whenever im on here on my phone which is about 1/2 the time i see the ads and they fill up my whole screen and slide with the screen and are sometimes impossible to get rid of on my bionic. And to the comment that i just take and take from the site i will leave that alone as i refuse to start another fight but honestly that comment has greatly disappointed me! I will figure out how to specifically unblock the org from my ad blocker just to please you and honestly ive brought up donating or having something for purchase several times but you dont like that but because of how much i enjoy this site i would gladly donate. I dont have much money but i will gladly donate $10 here and there to help out the site because i believe in this place and have made several good friends because of it. Dont be so quick to judge someone who you have never really taken the time to get to know. You see me joking around on the site but you have never seen the personal side of me nor have you seen my personal interaction with other members.

The answer to this is to use the browser or the app that is designed for your bionic... that would be the mobile browser or forum runner.

Im not on my phone and every time i scroll its opening the Obama video!

AGHHHHHHH
WTF

Doug nothing against you, i know the forum is not free, but really this suks!

Do it without PayPal.

Raffles are a slippery slope. Even taking PayPal out of the picture, a raffle has to be run in accordance with your states laws. For example, here in CO, to legally run a raffle, you'd need to be a registered not-for-profit for five years. While most small web site owners would get away with, it would only take one disgruntled member to complain to officials to make Captain's life a mess.

I still think selling stickers and other cheap swag at bloated prices is the best way. Just requires people to step up to the plate and pay.

Well guys, I have stayed quiet over the last day or so watching this thread. I am on every day and I check the board often, at home, at work, and on my phone. This thread has saddened me in a way. It seems that lately feelings get hurt so easily over minor issues. As a moderator, we see many things that we collectively discuss and act on depending on the circumstances. What is my point? My point is this, this is a family site run with family values and I know in my heart that the success of this board is because of the members, the clean atmosphere free from verbal abuse, offensive pictures, personal attacks, etc. For all of you folks that have never been to a meet/greet and shook hands with someone on the other side of a screen name, you dont know what you are missing. You are missing the "family" side of this forum that you simply will not understand how it exists unless you participate and get to know people. My best friends were met on this site, and I am proud to know them. Again, what is my point? My point continues to be that the reason the site is clean, successful, and attracts so many members is because of the way it is ran. I have never seen the sense of community anywhere on the net like you see here.
An organization is successful because of the leadership and vision. Dont misunderstand me, not by me or the other moderators, but by the vision of Cap and the direction he chooses to steer the ship. We all have a roles in that movement, as moderators to help turn the wheel and get us moving in the right direction, to members being supportive of the site and each other. We have said for years that if you want to support the org, do it by purchasing things you would purchase already from site sponsors. Click the banners if you see something of interest. It may seem trivial to some of you, but this is what you can do to help make the oRg successful. Not to mention everything else you do together as members to come to meet/greets.
I can promise you one thing, nothing happens on this site without a reason, without purpose. Minor changes result in complaints and emails, and reported posts, the list goes on. Look at the outcry concerning Tapatalk. My gosh, there are other options that work better for you, and work better for the SITE.
All I ask is please have some understanding, some patience, and realize that there are a great many people working behind the scenes to make this site as enjoyable as it can be. If something changes, support that change by finding a way to make it work for you. I am on all the time, but I bet there are others including Cap that are on way more than I am.
Sorry to take off on the rant, but there are my two cents. :beerchug:

Well guys, I have stayed quiet over the last day or so watching this thread. I am on every day and I check the board often, at home, at work, and on my phone. This thread has saddened me in a way. It seems that lately feelings get hurt so easily over minor issues. As a moderator, we see many things that we collectively discuss and act on depending on the circumstances. What is my point? My point is this, this is a family site run with family values and I know in my heart that the success of this board is because of the members, the clean atmosphere free from verbal abuse, offensive pictures, personal attacks, etc. For all of you folks that have never been to a meet/greet and shook hands with someone on the other side of a screen name, you dont know what you are missing. You are missing the "family" side of this forum that you simply will not understand how it exists unless you participate and get to know people. My best friends were met on this site, and I am proud to know them. Again, what is my point? My point continues to be that the reason the site is clean, successful, and attracts so many members is because of the way it is ran. I have never seen the sense of community anywhere on the net like you see here.
An organization is successful because of the leadership and vision. Dont misunderstand me, not by me or the other moderators, but by the vision of Cap and the direction he chooses to steer the ship. We all have a roles in that movement, as moderators to help turn the wheel and get us moving in the right direction, to members being supportive of the site and each other. We have said for years that if you want to support the org, do it by purchasing things you would purchase already from site sponsors. Click the banners if you see something of interest. It may seem trivial to some of you, but this is what you can do to help make the oRg successful. Not to mention everything else you do together as members to come to meet/greets.
I can promise you one thing, nothing happens on this site without a reason, without purpose. Minor changes result in complaints and emails, and reported posts, the list goes on. Look at the outcry concerning Tapatalk. My gosh, there are other options that work better for you, and work better for the SITE.
All I ask is please have some understanding, some patience, and realize that there are a great many people working behind the scenes to make this site as enjoyable as it can be. If something changes, support that change by finding a way to make it work for you. I am on all the time, but I bet there are others including Cap that are on way more than I am.
Sorry to take off on the rant, but there are my two cents. :beerchug:

Very Well Said James !!

As long as I don't have to click on the Obama adds I'm good :thumbsup:

i dont care about the ads they are blocked on my computer but its the fact that im told that i just take and take from the org and never give which is a crock of shyt... i dont care if you keep the ads but i will happily donate because when i got on my fathers computer which has nothing blocked and i got the obama popup 3 times in 30 mins along with 2 other popup ads... and i got on my phone and i got a popup on the browser that came with the phone (hell i just got a replacement phone today and have the same issue as with the other so its not the phone) and got the popup that for some reason i couldnt click on the thing to close it and no im not paying for an app to use the org. And i agree with blanca about the money going to someone to hold that is trusted and then the raffle is done. No offense but seeing how you responded to his comment its like you didnt even read it because he flat out said send the money to someone for them to hold outside of paypal. And as far as it being illegal a privatized raffle or 50/50 is legal as long as it is within a private group and not advertized to the public outside of that group and non members allowed to participate also the proceeds must go towards funding the group function which can be the running of the site. I am part of the saltwater fish community here and we have had several raffles both on sites and at our swapmeets. Most people who run forums have it setup as a non profit to prevent lawsuits against them from the site i know the owners of two forums based here in michigan and both of them are non profits.

i dont care about the ads they are blocked on my computer but its the fact that im told that i just take and take from the org and never give which is a crock of shyt... i dont care if you keep the ads but i will happily donate because when i got on my fathers computer which has nothing blocked and i got the obama popup 3 times in 30 mins along with 2 other popup ads... and i got on my phone and i got a popup on the browser that came with the phone (hell i just got a replacement phone today and have the same issue as with the other so its not the phone) and got the popup that for some reason i couldnt click on the thing to close it and no im not paying for an app to use the org. And i agree with blanca about the money going to someone to hold that is trusted and then the raffle is done. No offense but seeing how you responded to his comment its like you didnt even read it because he flat out said send the money to someone for them to hold outside of paypal. And as far as it being illegal a privatized raffle or 50/50 is legal as long as it is within a private group and not advertized to the public outside of that group and non members allowed to participate also the proceeds must go towards funding the group function which can be the running of the site. I am part of the saltwater fish community here and we have had several raffles both on sites and at our swapmeets. Most people who run forums have it setup as a non profit to prevent lawsuits against them from the site i know the owners of two forums based here in michigan and both of them are non profits.

I will say this one more time... The org has ZERO POPUPS.......... I have yet to see a pop up ad for Obama and I am on here every day with Chrome, Firefox and IE.......

the one thing I have seen on this forum is that there sure are a lot of drama queens.

Back