Virus help

The reason I run AVG and Zone Alarm is that I haven't had a single computer I've setup like that get a virus (so far).  That built my confidence in some of the free software out there.  Spybot Search and Destroy has also been pretty solid.

If you are going to pay for protection, Symantec has the best AV lab out there.  I haven't had any problem with Norton AV, but I still prefer Zone Alarm Pro to the Norton Security firewall.

<!--EDIT|TruWrecks
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145689516 -->

I second the AVG and Zonealarm combo and using Firefox. The only thing thing that may bother you is little java crap some sites hit you with if you leave it enabled in Firefox.

JJ

Get It?
rock.gif

Reboot into Safe Mode, then you should be able to manually clear out the \windows\temp or \temp folders.  Also try one of the free online virus scans too.
You should always boot into safe mode when you want to remove a virus or spyware from your system. If the malware is resident in the computer's memory in most cases you will not be able to remove it. You may be able to kill the process, but it will reappear very quickly afterward.

Steps to follow if you think you have some kind of infection:

Boot into safe mode
Run a full virus scan on each partition on you computer. Make sure your A/V product is perfectly up-to-date. Verify that you are scanning for *all files* including compressed files. Don't exclude anything.
Then run a anti-spyware scan on each partition on your computer.
If the anti-spyware scanner found some malware and cleaned it, then I would also consider running the spyware scan *again*. This would let you know if it is indeed removed.
Reboot, then see how she runs.

Hey Doug, did you computer run real slow after installing zone alarm and avg?
It took 40 some seconds to load this topic.

Make sure you aren't loading 2 firewalls. I use ZoneAlarm on my work and home PCs with no delays. I can load webpages (including this one) in only a few seconds.

Nope, just one firewall, antivirus and such.
Windows firewall is turned off also.
Seems to be running fine now.

Back