help removing a virus!!

All suggestions listed so far are good. Malwarebytes, Spybot, etc. are good are finding and removing malware. The trick is to make sure you get the malware process out of memory first. Either 1) Run task manager (taskmgr.exe) to find the offending process (if the malware will let you run it) and kill it. See if it reappears. Some of the smarter malware will see you trying to delete it and regenerate themselves. Then, run your favorite malware remover. Make sure that your are running the latest definitions. Or, 2) Boot into Safe Mode (with networking if you need to update the definitions) and run your malware remover. After cleaning you should reboot and run it again (to verify that you have removed it).

If you are comfortable using regedit (remember to backup the registry first before editing) there are some common locations malware installs itself so that it will execute (get into memory) when the computer boots. You should look (at least) in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Some (not all) malware use this location to ensure that they are loaded into memory at system startup. If you see malware startup entries in either of these locations, delete those entries and the files they reference. You would do this after killing the process from memory and before running the Malware remover. This would help (no promises) keep the malware from being loaded into memory when you reboot the computer.

Some malware is very difficult to remove. The suggestion to reformat and start again is reasonable if you want to feel secure that your computer is indeed clean.

The key is prevention. Use a layered approach to securing your computer. Religiously apply operating system updates. Also, verify that all of your third party applications are updated also. Java and Adobe had serious security problems recently that were being actively used by malware. Secunia has some products (free for consumers) that can scan for vulnerabilities (Consumer - Products). Don't visit "inappropriate" websites. Lots of malware comes from those sites. Run current A/V and keep it updated (daily).

I've had lots of luck lately using Kaspersky. I used to use McAfee, but the constant (daily) malware infections (under the users profile) caused me to look to other products. Kaspersky seems to be much better at *preventing* the infections.

I work IT (university) and deal with this on a daily basis.

Good luck.

I am going to give :thumbsup::thumbsup: for this info..

As he stated there are a multitude of viruses out there and I personally run 2 addware/spyware tools plus 3 virus cleaning tools on my computer. Then again I am a little different than most I go looking for them to send them some things back. :rofl:

I've had lots of luck lately using Kaspersky.

Pricey, but you get what you pay for. I've had zero problems since using Kaspersky for the last several years.

Two thumbs up from me.

:beerchug:

cheers
ken

Pricey, but you get what you pay for. I've had zero problems since using Kaspersky for the last several years.

Two thumbs up from me.

:beerchug:

cheers
ken

I've moved all of my labs over to a large Kaspersky *trial* license provided by their rep. I was getting daily malware infections with a fully patched and updated McAfee configuration in my labs. I just couldn't take it anymore. It was risky, but this has been the first time in two months that I haven't seen any infections. Plently of notifications about what Kaspersky has stopped. We would go to the offending sites on a test McAfee system and get infected.

The Kaspersky Administration Kit works much better than the ePO environment of McAfee.

I've been assured that the Kaspersky reseller will beat the price we are presently paying for a very large installation of McAfee. We will see. But, regardless, the product seems to perform much better than McAfee.

Last edited:
Webroot makes good stuff. If you have the nerve, you can root out a lot of crud
with regedit but be careful.

My brain hurts just trying to comprehend all the computer stuff. I dropped the computer off at a tech place, they had a 4 day wait till it gets serviced and required a $60 deposite :banghead: Im just waiting to hear from them, should be by the middle of next week. I have Norton and have been running it non-stop since i got the computer just over a year ago, so it clearly does NOT work, or has flaws to say the least. Ill ask the tech that works on it what I should run for security, but Im open to more ideas, a read a few already and will inquire about those more. Thanks again for all the info everyone:thumbsup:

Back