Pop up ads on the org?

Interesting comment... So I was just curious as to how much your monthly payments to the org cost you? The answer I know is already nothing, so you can't stand the ads on the org so much that you are unwilling to even participate in trying to help us recover some of the cost... Seems like some of you guys that are on the site a lot are more than willing to take but have no intentions on returning anything to the site... The only thing that we ask is that members cope with the banners and then click on something if it catches your attention.. I really didn't think that asking you all to do that was too much to ask... It seems I was wrong.

cap

You get way too entirely butt hurt when someone starts talking about blocking ads, just saying.

You get way too entirely butt hurt when someone starts talking about blocking ads, just saying.

I think the "hurt" comes at the end of the month when CaP writes the check to keep OUR playground running.

Russell, where do you think the money comes from that pays the bills around here? Just curious to what you think really happens behind the scenes.. Do you think that Suzuki pays us? Government subsidies, how about the merchandise that we don't sell anymore... So either you have no idea or you don't care.. Neither place is really good to be in...

I think the "hurt" comes at the end of the month when CaP writes the check to keep OUR playground running.

Lots of people block adds in general. Some sites/pages can just load them on you to the point of annoying. This particular sites isn't bad,but it's just as easy to leave it blocked, then to turn them on and off. Cap has went out of his way to have adds added to this site and not make them annoying. I am thankful for that. There was a nice discussion back when the changes took place.

For the record, I don't block adds. I do avoid the more annoying sites though.

Guys, please take a moment to thing about what it's like the be the Captain. He has a family, job and this site plus many other things on his plate. He gets bombarded with PM for more people than you can imagine. Hardly ever does he get a Thank you or good job PM or thread just because someone wants to thank him. It's usually to fuss about something.

He's tried the to let people pay a donation but sometimes when folks do that they think they have the right to tell him how to run this board.

He's tried the to let people pay a donation but sometimes when folks do that they think they have the right to tell him how to run this board.

He should start selling $1.00 Hayabusa.org stickers for $30 a pop. That would make it a product purchase instead of a donation :laugh:.

i smell a shift in the winds mateys.... what exactly is going on here...why is everyone uptight?

Russell, where do you think the money comes from that pays the bills around here? Just curious to what you think really happens behind the scenes.. Do you think that Suzuki pays us? Government subsidies, how about the merchandise that we don't sell anymore... So either you have no idea or you don't care.. Neither place is really good to be in...

I understand what you talk about, you give the same speech each time. I also understand the cost of the website. However, a person such as I who never clicks on ads or someone alike should not be shunned because they choose to block them from view. I appreciate the site and you for running it, do not get me wrong. And BTW, I never had the ads blocked up until the new version of the site came out. How much increased revenue have you seen since you changed the layout of the ads?

Last edited:
This whole thread started as me letting you guys know that the obama ad kept popping itself out of the ad window. It was doing it without me even hovering my mouse over it. I haven't seen that ad since yesterday, now I've moved to different ad being there. I thought someone might actually care enough to bring it to someone's attention, or someone else would chime in about either seeing it happen or not..

People are becoming uptight around here yes. There has been more people calling people out around here more as of late. More good members banned because they have opinions. More people not showing up because they aren't feeling the org love anymore. Just seems to be more negative than positive. There was even drama at the Bash this Spring. :down:

I couldn't give two craps about the ads on the org. Never did. I merely posted up that the Obama ad was opening on its own. That's why I gave out my operating system, etc.

I was offended by the reactions given, and that is where it ended.

Here's one I got today. Doug I know you mentioned that if I saw one that was against your views as the owner of the .org to post it up so you could take a look. I know this one is against your beliefs. Sorry Arch it just happened to pop up in one of your posts.

Guys, remember, this is a PRIVATE forum, not a democracy. The OWNER who PAYS for us to play here makes the rules, you either choose to live by them, or find somewhere else to play...getting pithy with the owner gets you ZERO.

Capture5.jpg

Guys, remember, this is a PRIVATE forum, not a democracy. The OWNER who PAYS for us to play here makes the rules, you either choose to live by them, or find somewhere else to play...getting pithy with the owner gets you ZERO.

No one is telling him to get rid of the ads so that is irrelevant. Just want to make that clear in case anyone else misunderstands. :beerchug:

Last edited:
I was always one of the first to chime in on the ad posts in the past, not knocking them but just being a pain in Capt's ass mostly :laugh: He and the team have gone above and beyond, way way above to get the ads here in places that are not in the way of using the forum. The ads are also relevant these days to things I have been looking for online. The voodoo that does this is Google, not the Org but Capt does have some say in what gets put out here. I've never seen a pop up from here nor anything that made me wonder why I was seeing the ad in the first place.

Has anyone noticed that our site sponsors are disappearing? Those guys used to be all over the site but I guess times are hard all over. These ads while at times bothersome, are the lifeblood here now. Capt doesnt want to allow donations, they lead to more issues than they are worth and there's legal challenges to them. The idea to sell things has always been there, heck I own a ton of h.org shirts and stuff but my guess is that a lot of folks don't buy as often as they say they would. There's also the matter of fulfillment. I know for me, I don't have time to package and ship things out all the time so I'm pretty sure Capt doesnt have time to do it all the time.

I've been around for a while, this stuff has come and gone and there's been plenty of other ways tried along the way, some by others when Capt wasn't running the show. There's been plenty of beotchin done by folks over the years too regardless of how well things were run/done. Even more when things didn't go as expected wayyyy back in the day BC (before Capt). At the end of the day I would imagine the site makes pennies for each ad shown on a page. Maybe a nickle if you click on them. I dont know if they are setup to get paid on converted purchases but even then they dont make squat. Think about it, you might see 30-40 ads if you surf the site for 10-15mins. The site doesn't make a killing on these things but every little bit has to help.

Bottom line. If everyone would unblock their blockers and deal with the google ads when they are on the site we could see fewer of them but allow the site to operate without bleeding Capt dry keeping the lights on.

Don't forget that the government really made the .org :overlord: (SARCASTIC JOKE!!!!) :laugh:

Does clicking on the ads help out for real? If so I am more than willing to do so to help the .org out.

Does clicking on the ads help out for real? If so I am more than willing to do so to help the .org out.

Absolutely! That's why websites like the .org allow ads in the first place. They generate revenue for this site and help keep the lights on. The more people see them and click on them, the more money comes back to this site.

Well on a personal note here, i would rather pay than have the Obama video all the time!
But who cares what i say any ways!
Im unemployed and would still contribute here first!

Just curious if clicking on a sponsors ad/link generates same desired result as clicking on one that isn't from a sponsor? Does it 'pay' you the same or because it's a sponsor and they have already paid you is it less?

Back