Polishing Questions.

Datsun350Z

Registered
I've read a few threads on polishing different pieces of the bike, but not much info on finishing the polish.

Any advice on what to use to seal it, or keep it from rusting after you polish?

I'm just afraid that since i'm definitely not going to take my bike apart every month to detail the spots that are normally out of reach it could get ugly.

Is this an issue with upkeep if sealed right the first time?

If polishing my frame is a bad idea for someone with NO intention of stripping the bike down to detail it after the initial polish please tell me.

Polishing the frame is a project I wouldn't mind doing over the winter, but I don't want to invest more time after the initial two million hours :laugh:

Please, honest opinions and experience with upkeep would be very helpful. :thumbsup:

One of the best ways to keep it trouble free, aside from the once a month cleanup, is during the finishing stages of polishing,you'll want to use 1800, then 2000 grit wet/dry paper. This makes a much smoother surface which oxidizes alot slower than if you stop at say 600 or ever a 1000 grit. Also using a die grinder with scotchbite pads will make each side of the frame about 8 hours from start to finish. Mothers Mag Polish is your best bet to get the best look. Hope this helped a little bit:beerchug: Good luck:thumbsup:

Glens 1000.jpg

99R1.jpg

R1 after.jpg

You can also use zoop seal when you are finish polishing. This seals u all the little pits you don't see and keeps water and dirt from gitting in it and causing oxidation. Then when you wash the bike, you just use soap and water and it comes clean and looks just like it was polished.

You can also use zoop seal when you are finish polishing. This seals u all the little pits you don't see and keeps water and dirt from gitting in it and causing oxidation. Then when you wash the bike, you just use soap and water and it comes clean and looks just like it was polished.

Right on:thumbsup: great tip:bowdown:

Seems like ur always cleaning it. To each there own, but was always a hassle for me. Would never do it again.

Use mothers billet and when and if you have to wash it use the carwash type soaps..and never let it sit out in the rain or with water spots..its not going to RUST!! only metal does that,it will dull and it extreme cases pit/..I have never sealed any polish, the billet has a kinda oil coat sealer type feeling after your done in it..

Its not as hard to keep up as some say unless you ride in the rain or leave your bike outside..,I've been polishing and have had polished bikes for about 25 years!!!

I made a HOW TO POLISH video just need to get the kid to finish it so I can sell some to teach how..

PICT0047.jpg

3a05d480.jpg

2004-8-919.jpg

SA400010-1.jpg

almostdone086.jpg

SA400056.jpg

Last edited:
I use to work with a guy who was a bike newbie, somebody told him a certain metal polish was the best & he proceeded to polish his paint with it ... silly boy scratched the sh*t out of it !

funny You say that..I use mother aluminum and billet all the time to take scratches out of paint!!..the billet is so good it will take scratches out of a windscreen or you head light..serious stuff without grit!!

I had polished...then went to chrome...polish is nice...chrome is more bling and maintenance free...

funny You say that..I use mother aluminum and billet all the time to take scratches out of paint!!..the billet is so good it will take scratches out of a windscreen or you head light..serious stuff without grit!!

+1, I use it to get scratches out to.

so king of the bling how and the hell do u get the tight spots like the corners n ****, we started this and its a PAIN in the Ass thats for damn sure....n we r only one the front wheel

Back