Polishing questions

Orion

Registered
Pardon my ignorance, hopefully I will make sense.

I am polishing my swing arm and I noticed that I am getting these "fisheyes" (little particles of polishing compound sticking to the surface as I am polishing which create abnormalities) in the finish. I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. Can someone please help?

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Took the anodizing off.
2. Sanded with 60 grit sandpaper till smooth
3. Sanded with 120 grit sandpaper till smooth
4. Sanded with 240 grit sandpaper till smooth
5. Wet sanded with 600 grit sandpaper till smooth
6. Polished with emery compound on a bench grinder 3500 RPM(here’s where I had my problem)
7. Polished with white roushe (however you spell it) compound

I was planning on doing my frame next (gulp!)
wow.gif
but I need to figure out what I am doing wrong first.

One more question, what’s the easiest way to polish the frame? I am using a bench grinder with a polishing wheel and it is too heavy to pick up and use on the frame. I have a large angle grinder I can mount a buffing wheel on but I don't think it will turn fast enough to polish well. I am wondering what other have used and how well they worked. Any other helpful tips would be appreciated.
smile.gif

Thanks for your help guys !!

You should be using red compound (rouge) for the finish...The angle grinder is what I always use never polish by hand...You do need a speed adjustable grinder so that you can keep the speed slow...Most grinders go 11,000rpms and that's way to fast...The 3500rpms is just about right...What type of metal polish are you using to clean up with???You should be cleaning after each stage...I order all my polishing compounds and wheels from Caswell...
evil.gif

all i used was sand papers up to 2000 and then hand polish it with mothers aluminum polish. i bought all the other rough and jewel cleaners crap just to find out u dont even need it.

hmmm...wish I could help, but I don't have a blingin' frame. You can check BT or BaCharles. Even Rhythm....

I am doing my frame right now and I hit it with 60,120,220,320,400,600,800,1000,1500,2000, brown rouge, white rouge and then hit it with some polish that I had but it left a haze over it and I can not get it off. It looks better after I hit it with the white rouge.

and again, i didnt even have to use the rough and emery stuff. as long as u hit it with 2000, then mothers...its gonna bling.

i think the mouse kit came with sand paper up to 240 or 280 or something. just use it up to the highest grit and the rest is just hand and a lil water until u get to 2000. but i remebered i went 240 with mouse and from there on i hand sanded the rest. after 240 u should have got all the sand cast bumps out. u know the smooth section of the frame is sanded down with 220 or something like that before it was anodized.

oh, it took me and a friend about a day and a half to complete the frame. 1 on each side. sounds amazing but dont let the other lazy people tell u it takes a week. and i think u shouldnt even have to use the oven cleaner to get the anodized finish off the frame before u sand. it was pretty messy i thought, and the sand paper should take care of the anodize finish.

...What type of metal polish are you using to clean up with???You should be cleaning after each stage...I order all my polishing compounds and wheels from Caswell...  
evil.gif
Stunnah,

Clean before moving to the next grit? What polish do you recommend? I was planning on Mothers

Is anyone sealing after polishing? Someone I know recommended Zoops Seal from Eastwood. Anyone try this?

How are you guys sanding the inside curves(Edges of the frame)? By hand? Ugh!

Anyone know where to get the best deal on sandpaper?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks guys?

wow...lot of questions in there

someone mentioned oven cleaner, I agree you dont need it.

Stunnah said clean between stages...I just use a lil soap an water .

It appears to me that yer doing alot of work for nothing.

I did a little test on some smaller parts of mine . You hav a buffing set-up right? Then skip the 240/320/400/600 etc stage . Just go to your wheels (preferably Egption cotton) and let them do the work . Way easier an' faster . First the red compound....then clean an' change wheel...then the white. bling .
Have a good 1....RSD.

...What type of metal polish are you using to clean up with???You should be cleaning after each stage...I order all my polishing compounds and wheels from Caswell...  
evil.gif
Stunnah,

Clean before moving to the next grit? What polish do you recommend?  I was planning on Mothers

Is anyone sealing after polishing?  Someone I know recommended Zoops Seal from Eastwood.  Anyone try this?

How are you guys sanding the inside curves(Edges of the frame)?  By hand? Ugh!

Anyone know where to get the best deal on sandpaper?

Sorry for all the questions.  Thanks guys?
Mothers is OK...But I've found that Blue Magic works best for me...Get it at Auto Zone...Cleans deeper than Mothers...
evil.gif

evil.gif

I did a little test on some smaller parts of mine . You hav a buffing set-up right?  Then skip the 240/320/400/600 etc stage .  Just go to your wheels (preferably Egption cotton) and let them do the work . Way easier an' faster . First the red compound....then clean an' change wheel...then the white.  bling .
Have a good 1....RSD.
Rubber...Looks like a lot of playa's are putting in the elbow work...I'm all electric...
evil.gif

I did a little test on some smaller parts of mine . You hav a buffing set-up right?  Then skip the 240/320/400/600 etc stage .  Just go to your wheels (preferably Egption cotton) and let them do the work . Way easier an' faster . First the red compound....then clean an' change wheel...then the white.  bling .
Have a good 1....RSD.
Rubber...Looks like a lot of playa's are putting in the elbow work...I'm all electric...  
evil.gif
I'm with you Stun-Gun....."I got the power"

i just did my frame over the early winter. i used every grit listed above all the way to 2000. Gixx1300R advised me to use a sponge to tightly wrap the wet/dry paper around to evenly distribute the pressure when doing the frame. It really makes a big difference and will eliminate some of the waves. As far as the "weld" what i assume you mean by the wrinkle part just do that with the sponge wrapped in the paper as well. Once you make your way through the different grits, the you want to use the different compounds.. emery, tripoli, rouge, and white. And make sure like mentioned earlier that you clean between each compound and use a different wheel for each of the compounds as well. I used lighter fluid and cotton balls to clean between stages. Another thing with the wheels and compounds.. if you notice a shiny sheen on the wheel, then you are working against yourself. Meaning the wheel has collected some of the metal and you are applying THAT to your frame. TO fix this problem, make a rake of sorts and "rake" your wheel then reapply the compound and continue working. Check for the necessity to rake very often with each of the compouds. Now you are ready for your metal polish. I too used the blue stuff, however i noticed a haze that waz left behind.. So i dont know. I heard that wenol is the bomb, but appearently its off the market, so just pick what works for you. Good luck and let me know if you need any help. email is freshjive78@msn.com

Scott:cool:

polishing_009.jpg

Back