Polishing my frame HOW??

amad

Registered
I was searching the .org on polishing my frame. There were some really old posts that had a link to Frame Polishing 101 or something like that, but that link wasn't valid anymore apparently. Anybody have any good advice on polishing my frame myself (while it's still on the bike)?
Thanks
hello.gif

I think I found the link. Does anybody have any experience with it and suggest doing it or not tackling it myself?

the king of bling..... rhythm ...can give u pointers, contact him

its not that hard, but in the same breath its not that easy a catch 22

Doing mine again. It's not that hard but
it will take some time and elbow grease. If you
go straight thru it will take you 8hrs. to
finish. I used what Rhythm's pointers and it was
right on point.

Good Luck!!
thumb_up.gif

you must take care of it to keep the shine also
What do you mean?  Will it lose its shine and look like it did before?  Or does it just get kind of dull looking?  Will a little chrome polish get it back?  Or do you have to go through the whole process again?
Part of the reason that people get things chromed is because it is easier to maintain than polish.  Wash, dry and be done.  Think back to the days when folks had large family gatherings and got the special china and polished utensils out.  They had to be polished just like your frame.  I use Mother's polish on mine and it works great.  Again, just takes some time to keep nice.  Can't go back to the stock look, but will dull and haze over.  Not sure if this is the link you found, but here it is:  Motorcycle Polishing 101

another option is to seal it with zoop seal, that will help keep the bling for a while longer.

+1 on the zoop seal

I'm going to try some clear powder coat over polish soon will post some results

I tried candy over polish and it looks good

Yes, keeping polished aluminum shiny is a royal PITA. I polished aluminum, brass, copper, stainless steel, etc.. for a living for several years and I soon learned that I personally would never, ever, own anything polished. Unless it's going to be a trailer queen that never sees the light of day and will never be ridden then maybe but otherwise polished aluminum is a loosing battle.
A few here will undoubtably object, but having dealt for so long with polishing and the trouble and hours it takes to stay polished, f*** it, powdercoat for me.
My
2cents.gif
. Tom

Why not clear coat it. Clear house of Kolor pearl?
I never had much luck with getting clear coat to stick to polished alum for very long if at all. A lot like trying to get paint to stick to glass. Somewhere here on the board there is another polish topic (in "appearances mods" I believe) that mentions several new clear coat type things that I have not tried but were said to work on polished aluminum very well. I'm just a polish grouch, did it everyday, grew to dislike it from all angles.

Polished frames and stuff look great, but they require alot of up-keep and cleaning. I wouldn't do it personally. I would just save up some $$$$ and have it chromed! That would be alot easier to take care of! But if you are like me and don't have alot of extra money, then polishing is good as long as you are willing to take the time to clean and buff it to keep it looking good.

crazy.gif
SHOCKED.gif
Gosh, you guys have about scared me away from polishing my frame. I don't want anything that is going to be a LOT of upkeep. I don't mind a quick wash and wax, but a lot of buffing is another thing. Chroming is probably way out of my budget. I saw some chrome frame covers on eBay, but they were over $300...still too much for me. Personally, I like the bling. I know it is sometimes overdone on sportbikes and cruisers alike, but I like it. Then again, I have put red LED lights up under my bike so it's lit up like a Christmas tree.

you must take care of it to keep the shine also
What do you mean?  Will it lose its shine and look like it did before?  Or does it just get kind of dull looking?  Will a little chrome polish get it back?  Or do you have to go through the whole process again?
Part of the reason that people get things chromed is because it is easier to maintain than polish.  Wash, dry and be done.  Think back to the days when folks had large family gatherings and got the special china and polished utensils out.  They had to be polished just like your frame.  I use Mother's polish on mine and it works great.  Again, just takes some time to keep nice.  Can't go back to the stock look, but will dull and haze over.  Not sure if this is the link you found, but here it is:  Motorcycle Polishing 101
You just need to stay on top of it and put a little elbow grease everyday and a good polish job can fool most that the frame is chrome. Just get some mothers or blue magic and soft cotton clothes for your upkeep and you'll be fine.

Its not to hard to keep up on UNLESS You leave your bike outside or ride in the rain!~!

I heat up the VIn sticker and put in on the frame rail under the tank..

I started a How to polish video last year and still need to finish it..

:laugh:

SA400058.jpg

Back