Police NOT doing their job!!!!!!

Gurley

Registered
Ok so as most of you know I had two motorcycles stolen a few months ago.....Well the GSXR 600 was seen and photographed in the next county down. I own the only registered 09 orange GSXR around! So we call the police and tell them where it was seen give them the vin and picture. They then tell us they will have to turn it in to an investagator and re-open the file because they have already closed it and then they will check it out. So we are like fine we are going to get it then if you arent going to do anything. They then tell us we will be arrested if we go down there but this is my bike and we go anyway so we get there and the police are there and the bike is gone! The ppl living where the bike was seen are like we dont know what you are talking about and the cops tell us we need to leave and there has not been any bike there and they dont own one. However I have pictures of the bike sitting kinda to the side/behind this house one showing the house number but there is no bike there now and I am wrong and they wont do anything about!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

So the officers told you not to go there and you did. They get there because you are there causing hell I assume about a bike that looks like yours in a picture, but is not there anymore. You then go and say that the officers are not doing there job because they didn't run over to the house without any information about a stolen bike and do what? Just chill out for awhile man, it's not worth it. :beerchug:

Good ole small town usa....Backwoods legal system!! I dont know that anything would get them off there a** to do anything.

I would have just gone there and Taken My Bike back...............

Got any Biker Friends that like to have some Fun ???

So the officers told you not to go there and you did. They get there because you are there causing hell I assume about a bike that looks like yours in a picture, but is not there anymore. You then go and say that the officers are not doing there job because they didn't run over to the house without any information about a stolen bike and do what? Just chill out for awhile man, it's not worth it. :beerchug:

No the only reason they went is because we said we were gonna go up there...We were gonna go see the bike in person but we already pretty much know the bike is mine we just needed to match vins. We did not cause any trouble what so ever all we want is the bike back and the police to do there job. The bike in the picture was a suzuki 600 orange and black with mag 3 spoke chrome rims with chrome frame sliders and a cut kickstand which is identical to mine. The police would not even look around the house or anything until my husband got ill with them about the situation. All we wanted was for them to go run the vin numbers when we called cause at that time the bike was still sitting there. And it not being worth it is a matter of opinion we were screwed on insurance of which we are still fighting over between lawyers with geico so at this point we have not had insurance payout on the bike and thats ALOT of money to just walk away from.

No the only reason they went is because we said we were gonna go up there...We were gonna go see the bike in person but we already pretty much know the bike is mine we just needed to match vins. We did not cause any trouble what so ever all we want is the bike back and the police to do there job. The bike in the picture was a suzuki 600 orange and black with mag 3 spoke chrome rims with chrome frame sliders and a cut kickstand which is identical to mine. The police would not even look around the house or anything until my husband got ill with them about the situation. All we wanted was for them to go run the vin numbers when we called cause at that time the bike was still sitting there. And it not being worth it is a matter of opinion we were screwed on insurance of which we are still fighting over between lawyers with geico so at this point we have not had insurance payout on the bike and thats ALOT of money to just walk away from.

I meant it's not worth it to go confront the thief yourself. Your life is worth more than a bike. Give the police all of the information that they need and let them handle it. Even if you know it is your bike and you are standing across the street from it, call the police before you do anything. What if it isn't your bike and the owner sees you walking up to his house and trying to take it away? Another thing, try to use state farm insurance if you can. If you wouldn't have gone to the house when the bike wasn't there it may have came back....I don't think that they will let it sit in the driveway anymore....so like I said before, chill out a little and it will work itself out. If you had insurance on it and it was stolen, I don't see any issues with them paying you. If there is more to the story than you are letting us on to believe, sorry :thumbsup:

It all seems shady and it sounds like the suspects got tipped off. If you had time to photograph the bike in the driveway, you had time to repossess it or at least call the cops while at the location. Now, if the bike is no longer in plain sight they can't just go onto the property without that as probable cause.
The cops will need a warrant to execute a search of the private property.

Last edited:
It all seems shady and it sounds like the suspects got tipped off. If you had time to photograph the bike in the driveway, you had time to repossess it or at least call the cops while at the location. Now, if the bike is no longer in plain sight they can't just go onto the property without that as probable cause.
The cops will need a warrant to execute a search of the private property.

I was not the one to see the bike at this house. A friend of ours works for the cable company and was working on a main line in front of this house and he noticed the bike and took several pictures which he then forwarded to me. I looked at them and then called the police and tried to get them to go check the bike while we knew it was sitting there and they wouldnt. So thats when we decided to head up there ourselves to see if that would get there attention and get them up there and check it. But by the time we get there the bike is gone and the police totally blow off the whole situation. If the police department would have just sent some one when we called the first time and ran the vin number I would probably have my bike back right now. Its just very irritating to me that they could care less about this!

I feel your pain. When my bike got stolen the cop told me "if you see your bike, don't aproach it, we want to catch the person with it". I told him "If I see it, I aint leaving without it".

Thank god I got mine back. Only because the people took 3 other bikes (all were new bikes. Gixxer 1K, ZX 10, and a CBR 1000 RR I guess they wanted one of each), and the CBR had a Lojack on it. They followed the signal into a shed, when they opened it they found my Busa, and the ZX 10. Just over the fence was another shed, that's where they got the 2 other bikes. If they would have went into the other shed first I still wouldn't have my bike.

It seems like the Jerk is still riding it around, which is GOOD news !! I HOPE you get this worked out !!

P.S. The 2 owners of the houses were only charged with receiving stolen property, and it got pleaded down to misdimeanors, and never even went to court. over $40,000.00 worth of bikes, and all they got was probation. But don't get caught with a bag of weed around here !! I don't use drugs, but honestly which is worse ?

Why wouldn't people steal motorcycles ?

Last edited:
Some big problems with auto theft are the following

It is very profitable, insurance normally pays off, for the most part it is a non-violent crime, people have accepted it as a victimless crime (until their property is stolen),it is very hard to catch and prosecute the scum, juries see it the same as the above reasons and rarely through the book at the perps. If they are ever in a court room they receive light sentences.
No one places a high priority on it, even most victims don't because they are normally paid for their vehicle. There is a high percentage of fraud, people who can not make payments falsely report their vehicles stolen.
There are so many laws, and lawyers out there to protect people from the police entering their property to investigate a crime, police hesitate to do so, fearing a law suit.
In your situation, from the police stand point, you provided hearsay information. Now that the perps know you are on to them, it is likely your bike will never bee seen again.

Due to these reasons, police do not normally assign a high priority to it.
If no one received compensation for vehicle theft there would be a large public out cry to
assign it a high priority and the perps would be looked at in a very different light.
Unfortunately your best action now is to pursue compensation from geico and then change insurance companies, you already know this by now.

Sorry but, this is where our society stands on the subject.

I am curious, what were the circumstances that led to your bike being stolen? Where was it parked etc?

Good luck

Some big problems with auto theft are the following

It is very profitable, insurance normally pays off, for the most part it is a non-violent crime, people have accepted it as a victimless crime (until their property is stolen),it is very hard to catch and prosecute the scum, juries see it the same as the above reasons and rarely through the book at the perps. If they are ever in a court room they receive light sentences.
No one places a high priority on it, even most victims don't because they are normally paid for their vehicle. There is a high percentage of fraud, people who can not make payments falsely report their vehicles stolen.
There are so many laws, and lawyers out there to protect people from the police entering their property to investigate a crime, police hesitate to do so, fearing a law suit.
In your situation, from the police stand point, you provided hearsay information. Now that the perps know you are on to them, it is likely your bike will never bee seen again.

Due to these reasons, police do not normally assign a high priority to it.
If no one received compensation for vehicle theft there would be a large public out cry to
assign it a high priority and the perps would be looked at in a very different light.
Unfortunately your best action now is to pursue compensation from geico and then change insurance companies, you already know this by now.

Sorry but, this is where our society stands on the subject.

I am curious, what were the circumstances that led to your bike being stolen? Where was it parked etc?

Good luck

Well normally our bikes were kept in the shop locked up at our house but our house burnt so we were keeping them at my moms house locked up in her shop that way some one would be around. However we were living in an apartment and we took the bikes to the apartment the night before cause we were planning to go on a ride the next morning and were gonna be leaving pretty early. We had the ignition on both bikes in the locked position and had them both chain locked to some steal hooks that were in the pavement of the parking area. They were both still there at 4am according to the police that patrol the area one deputy said he saw them at that time but they were gone when I got up at 6am. And of course our apartments didnt have cameras and no one heard a thing.

sounds like you took all the precautions you could for your situation. I hate thieves.
If we cut of a hand once in a while, theft would go away.

I feel for you about your bike getting taken and its B/S that your insurance provider is trying to screw you but IMHO 300busa is right its not worth your life, the person who lifted it obviously dosen't have great morals and may not be above pulling a gun etc, for me (once again i here u on the insurance) after someone else has had their grubby paws on my bike it aint mine anymore 2010's are out soon!

what exactly is the insurance telling you or did I miss that. Normally it's a 30 day wait and a police report that's it after that they can't show that you did it and they can't deny a claim with no supporting evidence. At least not in CA your laws might be different but if they are really being a pain verify the steps needed then file a complaint with the dept. of insurance. Trust me when I say if your in the right the insurance will pay up rather quickly if they have no supporting evidence in their favor and you have involved the DOI as we in the insurance world call it. Btw I work in claims for a major ins. company just not for Geico.

Your first mistake was calling the police before you were positive it was your bike. You may have had th eonly one like it in the area but after three months someone else could have purchased one or maybe the guy who owned the bike your friend saw was visiting from someplace. Either way I would have positively identified it as my bike then called the cops or just used the spare key taken it home.

If you get another chance you are gonna have to be a little more sneaky (that bike has now been moved because they've been tipped off). You were sure this was your bike from the pics; most of us can pick our our own bikes pretty easily. When you went there, the bike wasn't there (may have just been out for a ride); should have remained hidden until you actually saw it in your presence, then call 911 (theft in progress; not too many details just get them there). All you need is a patrol officer to show up, show them the report, pic and VIN and he'd have probably cause to go look at it. Most street Cops would love a chance at busting a thief if they've got them red-handed.

Good luck I hate freakin thieves.

Last edited:
It not good to have anything stolen, but the good thing is if it is your bike its still together. Most times when a pro takes a bike it will be stripped and just dissapear off the face of the earth. It only takes someone that jacks bike to part them out about 1-2 hours to make a bike dissapear, the real lets say good guys takes about 15-45 mins.
So good luck getting it back if it is yours, just be glad its still together and running.

I feel your pain. When my bike got stolen the cop told me "if you see your bike, don't aproach it, we want to catch the person with it". I told him "If I see it, I aint leaving without it".

Thank god I got mine back. Only because the people took 3 other bikes (all were new bikes. Gixxer 1K, ZX 10, and a CBR 1000 RR I guess they wanted one of each), and the CBR had a Lojack on it. They followed the signal into a shed, when they opened it they found my Busa, and the ZX 10. Just over the fence was another shed, that's where they got the 2 other bikes. If they would have went into the other shed first I still wouldn't have my bike.

It seems like the Jerk is still riding it around, which is GOOD news !! I HOPE you get this worked out !!

P.S. The 2 owners of the houses were only charged with receiving stolen property, and it got pleaded down to misdimeanors, and never even went to court. over $40,000.00 worth of bikes, and all they got was probation. But don't get caught with a bag of weed around here !! I don't use drugs, but honestly which is worse ?

Why wouldn't people steal motorcycles ?

Weed is not a drug.. It is a plant. :laugh:

Back