Pocket Knives on planes and the new tsa rules?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/assets/pdf/tsa_permitted_items_update.pdf

Seems to be the latest discussion at work. Should pocket knives be allowed on planes?
I'm pretty sure this will fall right down same lines as gun issues but still curious what the general concensus is.

Yes 9/11 happened, yes many hijackings have happened but again in similar mathematical form the amount of bad is almost incalculable to the good. In other words the small amount of folks gone bad have affected the abilities of countless millions. Sure a small group of guys with box cutters caused the greatest calamity this country's ever known but should we still fear the one in spite of the many? Would you be afraid to sit next to 300+ strangers on a plane that may have pocket knives? Feel better knowing nobody has one?
The rule itself is just plain stupid as you can have a folding blade less than 2.36 inches but not one that locks? Ok so a small Victorinox Swiss army blade is less lethal than same size locking buck knife? Wtf?

You can carry golf clubs but no more than two? Wtf?

I'm still on the fence on the knife issue so lets hear your op.

I will finish with a funny story of when I was growing up. About 6-8yrs old I was playing with a steak knife. For whatever reason I decided to hide it in the bathroom in my dads shaving kit. Since he was an intl banker this happened to be the same one he traveled with. You can tell where this is going :laugh:
Yes on his way to Paris they found it in his bag with the screener and gave him a royal reaming !!! He Convinced them to mail it home specifically so he could hold it in one hand while he was ******* the ****** out of me with the other. True story :)

:rofl: I'm not gonna chime in on the pocket knife discussion but I had to laugh at your story! This just confirms that you've been a trouble maker since you were a youngin' :laugh:

No need for a pocket knife on the airplane. I am all for the strict security measures we have on airplanes. We can't bring back all the American lives we lost on 9/11

So Lankee out of fear of another possible 9/11 which is a valid one every person that travels is suspect?
Honest folks can't carry a Lil ole whittlin' blade? :)

Yes Pbadasay I am :(
Threw a rock thru a window my dad was sitting in front of. Why? I :dunno:
:laugh:

Also carved donuts in the yard of some Ahole who chased me on my Kdx80.
Turned out to e my dads best friend and father of older brothers girlfriend.
Said he recognized me and bike from being over our house and sat there and watched me carve his yard up.
Then casually drove over and politely explained that the still steaming dirtbike in driveway had just been over his house :)

2.36 inches? i don't even own anything that small! would something like that even work to cut the ends off your wife's yarn when she finishes a pair of mittens? :laugh: as far as self-defense, i would rather have my belt than a blade that size any day!! so no, it wouldn't bother me at all knowing someone on the plane might be carrying one of those

So Lankee out of fear of another possible 9/11 which is a valid one every person that travels is suspect?
Honest folks can't carry a Lil ole whittlin' blade? :)

Yes Pbadasay I am :(
Threw a rock thru a window my dad was sitting in front of. Why? I :dunno:

Also carved donuts in the yard of some Ahole who chased me on my Kdx80.
Turned out to e my dads best friend and father of older brothers girlfriend.
Said he recognized me and bike from being over our house and sat there and watched me carve his yard up.
Then casually drove over and politely explained that the still steaming dirtbike in driveway had just been over his house :)

YES, TREAT EVERYONE AS EQUAL / SUSPECT, just as riding your motorcycle treat every one else on the road as they cant drive and dont see (which I hope you do) and you will decrease the risk of being hit. That was our problem we were to relaxed as a country on secuirty to fly. Remember flying is a privlidge not a right.
Why judge or have to do a criminal backround check on every passenger. Would you pay an extra 15.00 every time you wanted to fly to do a background check so you can carry your pocket knife on board?

What need do you have to bring a pocket knife an airplane? Plan on widdling some wood? Clean your toe nails? What purpose do you need? No purpose outweights the negative side of possibilites of a pocket knife in the wrong hands. Tuck it away in your luggage and give it kisses when you land and continue on widdling

2.36 inches? i don't even own anything that small! would something like that even work to cut the ends off your wife's yarn when she finishes a pair of mittens? :laugh: as far as self-defense, i would rather have my belt than a blade that size any day!! so no, it wouldn't bother me at all knowing someone on the plane might be carrying one of those

The juggler vein of an inncocent person lays less then 2.36" below the surface I assure you.

I've talked to some of your ex girlfriends. You sure you don't own anything that small?

YES, TREAT EVERYONE AS EQUAL / SUSPECT, just as riding your motorcycle treat every one else on the road as they cant drive and dont see (which I hope you do) and you will decrease the risk of being hit. That was our problem we were to relaxed as a country on secuirty to fly. Remember flying is a privlidge not a right.
Why judge or have to do a criminal backround check on every passenger. Would you pay an extra 15.00 every time you wanted to fly to do a background check so you can carry your pocket knife on board?

What need do you have to bring a pocket knife an airplane? Plan on widdling some wood? Clean your toe nails? What purpose do you need? No purpose outweights the negative side of possibilites of a pocket knife in the wrong hands. Tuck it away in your luggage and give it kisses when you land and continue on widdling

Would you apply same logic to guns? No you wouldn't.
Every gun owner is not suspect and is innocent until he commits a crime. So why rear one with a pocket knife? I guess now there are gonna be hundreds if not thousands of hijackings with short bladed knives?
There is no constitutional guarantee for knives sure but same should apply, no?

Can anyone rationally explain why a small knife that doesn't lock open is less lethal than one that does?
Maybe cuz they think you can't stab someone with a non locking knife?

The juggler vein of an inncocent person lays less then 2.36" below the surface I assure you.

And can be easily punctured with a pencil. So your point is?

Not being smart with you, just discussing.

Put a pen in your palm or hold it as a knife and its longer than 2.36 inches.
I'd rather be stabbed by a little Swiss Army knife than an entire pencil.

its the standard around the world and has been for a very long time. before the cabins were locked it was an issue. the whole purpose of screening is to find explosive devices that could take down a plane. a 2 inch pocket knife aint takn a plane down.

the whole purpose of a terroist having a knife of some sort of weapon was to get into the cabin. thats no longer the issue at hand. the terrorists know that so they will evolve into some new explosive device and thats where the focus should be now vs. looking for nail clippers....:whistle:

Hey everybody! Brett and I may actually agree on sumthin!
Tell it to the world :)

J/k we agree on a lot but on this you're right on.

I mean c'mon I may want to carve a flute or pipe or something.
Not everyone has an iPod. :laugh:

Hey everybody! Brett and I may actually agree on sumthin!
Tell it to the world :)

J/k we agree on a lot but on this you're right on.

I mean c'mon I may want to carve a flute or pipe or something.
Not everyone has an iPod. :laugh:
lol... cmon we agree on MOST things.:laugh: do I think its a GOOD idea to have any sort of so-called weapon on a plane? no I dont but its like cops in a small town that dont see much action looking for a dime bag of wead so they can say "look I found something" woopdie f-en do...:whistle: vs. looking for a pound of Cocaine or an illegal gun hidden behind the dash or somewhere not so obvious.

I think the TSA agents are becoming too focused on finding SOMETHING that is prohibited vs. focusing on items that could cause a disaster resulting in EVERYONE on that plane dieing.

its not like a MV stop on the side of the highway where LE for example can essentially take whatever time they need to do their job the way they see fit. TSA agents have seconds to essentially find items and time is not on their side. if they took the time they needed to inspect EVERYTHING with a fine tooth comb the wait would be unreasonable.

they need to narrow their search to explosives which is far more insidious then a pocket knife. people are getting all hung up on knives in general because thats the tool used to essentially take over the planes on 9/11 and get into the cockpit. terroists are not stupid and plan these attacks out for months if not years.

terroists are not thinking how they can breach the cockpit with a pocket knife. they are thinking what explosive devices have NOT been uncovered yet.

So what's the reason behind only two golf clubs?
Who carries only two clubs? These people get paid to come up with this stuff?

break a golf club in half and its a deadly spear I guess. chit, its what Tommy Skakel used to stab Martha Moxley after whacking her in the head with it and splitting it in half. I think anything can be turned into a weapon but again its not gonna get u thru that cabin door.

I read a while back where a guy tried putting explosives inside the tube of his crutches. not sure what country it was but thats the kinda chit they shud be focusing on.

But Brett why only 2 and not the whole bag?
Or 3 or 5? How'd they figure 2 was ok?
And again I've never seen anyone carrying only 2 clubs?

good question? I have no earthy clue. I mean it is pretty common for those traveling on vacation to carry only two golf clubs when going golfing....:whistle:

Back