Did TSA go to far?

Are we allowed to post negative comments about TSA personel? Wouldn't they fall under the law enforcement umbrella?

Where is the law on the books that says you cannot travel with 4,000 in cash and a copy of the constitution?

traveling with $4k in a locked box is not against the law, just odd. that is why he was asked about the money.

traveling with a copy of the constitution is cool....i guess if it makes you feel better. however you would be ignoring 200 hundred years of legal decisions by the Supreme Court that effect you "rights and privilegdes".

the supreme court has decided you do not have a right fly on an airplane, this is a priviledge. by deciding to use the airport you consent to searchs by TSA...

traveling with $4k in a locked box is not against the law, just odd. that is why he was asked about the money.

traveling with a copy of the constitution is cool....i guess if it makes you feel better. however you would be ignoring 200 hundred years of legal decisions by the Supreme Court that effect you "rights and privilegdes".

the supreme court has decided you do not have a right fly on an airplane, this is a priviledge. by deciding to use the airport you consent to searchs by TSA...

So if a TSA agent asked me what my jacket said on the back because it had a Kanji on it does that offer him the ability to stop and detain me because it is odd? Is there a risk? What was the risk of the money? I can absolutely see if there was an electronic device or a liquid, but we are talking about cold cash... TSA is there to make sure that air travel is safe nothing more, nothing less except in the case where they stumble onto something illegal then they have the duty to detain until proper LEO arrives.

So again I ask.... what LAW was violated?

So if a TSA agent asked me what my jacket said on the back because it had a Kanji on it does that offer him the ability to stop and detain me because it is odd? Is there a risk? What was the risk of the money? I can absolutely see if there was an electronic device or a liquid, but we are talking about cold cash... TSA is there to make sure that air travel is safe nothing more, nothing less except in the case where they stumble onto something illegal then they have the duty to detain until proper LEO arrives.

That is a very valid point.

sounds to me like this guy did this on purpose to bait them and it worked. now he gets headlines and of course the communist aclu is all to happy to file a lawsuit. THis is bs...having said that however the tsa folks could have conducted themselves better in this situation

Yeah, there's also a couple of Morons running around on youtube creating bad situations by being A#&holes at security check points etc. recording them and claiming that Big Brother is outta control...

Nervous, self important idiots. Proof that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

you, try and come up with silly scenario's to try and validate your point....but that only shows how little you have stand on.

never claimed a law was violated....but that is the typical argument. try and point the attention away from the real issue. so i guess i will try to break it down to a 3rd grade level so everyone can keep.

1. air travel is not a right, protected by the constitution. you choose to travel by plane and even enter the airport. by choosing to to fly, you are consenting to search by TSA.

2. while being searched, TSA is looking for clues, things that are out of norm. things that may be signs of illegal activity. if 1000 people go thru the gate and you are the only one that has $5k in a locked steel box, you are out of the norm....so a question shopuld be asked.

3. large amounts of cash, especially in small bills is a red flag to possible drug sales, or prostitution....so a question should be asked.

4. When TSA askes you about the money, you should answer. if you do not answer it could mean you cannot explain why/how you have this cash.

now you can try and make this about "big brother" taking away your rights....but that is ridiculous. this is a bout one guy, trying to make a point by acting in a suspicious manner, to get himself pulled out of line. so he could try and make a case out of it for the free publicity.

listen to the audio.....this is a total set-up. bierendht keeps trying to bait them by saying

"i don't understand the law, can you tell me if i am required by law to answer that question"

repeatedly the TSA agents tell him...they cannot give legal advice. he will have to decide that for himself. 15 minutes into this and the TSA are still totally cool with the guy, and are fairly proffesional even though he will not answer the questions.

they walk to the PD and at 16min. the police officers after looking thru the box....asks"are these ron paul campaign contributions"? Bierendht replies yes.....and you hear the cop say "your free to go" and the first TSA agent says " thats all you to say"

after he is released.......before bierendht shuts off the recorder he says to someone....

"THAT WAS DAMN GOOD REPORTING THERE"

"there gonna love that story"

see, just when you think your rights are being taken away....the truth comes out. its just some guy trying to make some publicity.....

listen to the recording these guys are totally proffesional, even though bierendht tries repeatedly to bait them....

you, try and come up with silly scenario's to try and validate your point....but that only shows how little you have stand on.

never claimed a law was violated....but that is the typical argument. try and point the attention away from the real issue. so i guess i will try to break it down to a 3rd grade level so everyone can keep.

1. air travel is not a right, protected by the constitution. you choose to travel by plane and even enter the airport. by choosing to to fly, you are consenting to search by TSA.

2. while being searched, TSA is looking for clues, things that are out of norm. things that may be signs of illegal activity. if 1000 people go thru the gate and you are the only one that has $5k in a locked steel box, you are out of the norm....so a question shopuld be asked.

3. large amounts of cash, especially in small bills is a red flag to possible drug sales, or prostitution....so a question should be asked.

4. When TSA askes you about the money, you should answer. if you do not answer it could mean you cannot explain why/how you have this cash.

now you can try and make this about "big brother" taking away your rights....but that is ridiculous. this is a bout one guy, trying to make a point by acting in a suspicious manner, to get himself pulled out of line. so he could try and make a case out of it for the free publicity.

Why and how I have my cash in my pocket is irrelevant..

Here is the link to prohibited items on the TSA website... Let me know when you find cash and the constitution?

TSA: Prohibited Items

Why and how I have my cash in my pocket is irrelevant..

Here is the link to prohibited items on the TSA website... Let me know when you find cash and the constitution?

TSA: Prohibited Items

the copy of the constitution had nothing to do with his detention...the fact that you bring it up over and over shows your lack of understanding of civil rights. because anybody that has read the constitution knows that most of what we know as civil rights, has to do with the interpretation of the Supreme Court...

again you show you have no understanding of what happened, or are ignoring the truth because it does not fit into your limited interpretation of your rights.

he was not detained for the money, and he was not detained for carrying a copy of the constitution. he was held because he refused to answer the question....

that your guy has to try and set-up TSA to prove a point.....and then have TSA outsmart him does not look to good for the Ron Paul for king of the world movement...

the copy of the constitution had nothing to do with his detention...the fact that you bring it up over and over shows your lack of understanding of civil rights. because anybody that has read the constitution knows that most of what we know as civil rights, has to do with the interpretation of the Supreme Court...

again you show you have no understanding of what happened, or are ignoring the truth because it does not fit into your limited interpretation of your rights.

he was not detained for the money, and he was not detained for carrying a copy of the constitution. he was held because he refused to answer the question....

that your guy has to try and set-up TSA to prove a point.....and then have TSA outsmart him does not look to good for the Ron Paul for king of the world movement...

At then end of the day it boils down to this in my opinion... We can agree to disagree....

however... The basic premise that I base my opinion is that there was no crime committed, there was nothing out of the ordinary that would lead a reasonable person to think that a terrorist act was going to take place therefore the TSA agent acted outside the scope of his job responsibilities.

Regardless if you dislike the reasoning on why the passenger refused to answer there was no legitimate reason to detain him hence the reason why he is not in a jail somewhere... The TSA agents had absolutely nothing to hold him on so now you read about it in the papers....

flying maybe a priviledge but we are still offered the same protections from search and seizure in an airport as we are on a sidewalk. TSA agents have limits that they cannot exceed just like a police officer or state trooper. They don't get to make the rules up as they go by using the cover of "TERRORISM"

Last edited:
At then end of the day it boils down to this in my opinion... We can agree to disagree....

however... The basic premise that I base my opinion is that there was no crime committed, there was nothing out of the ordinary that would lead a reasonable person to think that a terrorist act was going to take place therefore the TSA agent acted outside the scope of his job responsibilities.

Regardless if you dislike the reasoning on why the passenger refused to answer there was no legitimate reason to detain him hence the reason why he is not in a jail somewhere... The TSA agents had absolutely nothing to hold him on so now you read about it in the papers....

flying maybe a priviledge but we are still offered the same protections from search and seizure in an airport as we are on a sidewalk. TSA agents have limits that they cannot exceed just like a police officer or state trooper. They don't get to make the rules up as they go by using the cover of "TERRORISM"

well said

sounds to me like this guy did this on purpose to bait them and it worked. now he gets headlines and of course the communist aclu is all to happy to file a lawsuit. THis is bs...having said that however the tsa folks could have conducted themselves better in this situation

That was my exact thought as I read the story.

The point, at least as *I* see it, is that "the question" shouldnt have been asked anyway, because where his cash came from is really not any of the TSA's business. What if it DID come from prostitution? does that make the cash a hazard to have on the plane?

The TSA certainly has the right to stop someone from boarding a plane or question them if they're carrying something questionable, like the example earlier of 2 laptops. However, cash isn't something thats going to endanger someone, regardless of where it came from.

Honestly, I wouldnt have felt the need to answer them either. there's no real need for them to KNOW.

well afterhours i have read the constitution and i also have read many of the decisions made by the supreme court. i have also realized that many findings of the supreme court violate our civil rights . like the assault weapons ban . no where in the constitution does it say that a convicted felon can have his right to own a firearm taken away but they do it. the second amendment says that i can own a infantry fighting weapon . that means i can have a m16 but the laws in California say i cant it . the constitution also says that a constitutional right cant be taxed but they are . assault weapons registration fee is a tax on a civil right . the supreme court for the most part are a bunch of left wing nut jobs that have no perception of reality. there just politicians in a black robe that take money for the right answer. iI realize that we have a difference in opinions and i respect that and as a former solider i have almost given my life many times to protect that right .

well afterhours i have read the constitution and i also have read many of the decisions made by the supreme court. i have also realized that many findings of the supreme court violate our civil rights . like the assault weapons ban . no where in the constitution does it say that a convicted felon can have his right to own a firearm taken away but they do it. the second amendment says that i can own a infantry fighting weapon . that means i can have a m16 but the laws in California say i cant it . the constitution also says that a constitutional right cant be taxed but they are . assault weapons registration fee is a tax on a civil right . the supreme court for the most part are a bunch of left wing nut jobs that have no perception of reality. there just politicians in a black robe that take money for the right answer. iI realize that we have a difference in opinions and i respect that and as a former solider i have almost given my life many times to protect that right .

Let me clearly state this in a way that there can be no misunderstandings....

I don't care what subject we disagree on, I sincerly thank you for your service in the military and offering me and my family what we have today... there is no debate nor discussion that can supercede my thanks for your time and efforts.

THANK YOU

CAptain

actually i think the second amendment gives me the right to own :

assault rifle
attack helicopters
and any other weapon system i can afford, and be trained to use it.

i mean a rifle is cool....but how can i protect myself from a government with tanks and helicopters....with only a rifle.

but that is just my interpretation....

Back