Did TSA go to far?

What was he suppose to do with the money? Some of these tsa agents just abuse their power to the point where they get into trouble. I was in the houston airport and a tsa agent started going threw my case of cd's and movies wiping all of them down with some type of paper. He said it was to test them for bomb residue. I have been threw that airport 10 to 15 times before this incident and have never had this happen to me. He said that they always do this and that I was just lazy. I told him that the tsa agent that was getting us ready for him told me that all I had to do was have my laptop on. By this time my dad was trying to step in and my girlfriend that was with us were trying to calm me down. He then mad the mistake by saying that I was only making a scene because I was white and he was black and that I was a racist. That set my girlfriend off, that was a big mistake made by him. She is half black and half mexican. She was letting him hear her opinion about his ignorant a$$. Long story short his boss came over and calmed all of us down and he was suspended for three days.

A law doesn't have to be broken to be searched. Not even probable cause.

Even in the law enforcement context, the State may interfere with an individual's Fourth Amendment interests with less than probable cause and without a warrant if the intrusion is only minimal and is justified by law enforcement purposes. E.g., Michigan State Police Dept v. Sitz, 496 U.S. 444, 450 ('90); Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1, 20 ('68).

sounds to me like this guy did this on purpose to bait them and it worked. now he gets headlines and of course the communist aclu is all to happy to file a lawsuit. THis is bs...having said that however the tsa folks could have conducted themselves better in this situation

I don't know about this but if he gets paid for this i am going to do it too an I will wear turban if I can get some extra money from the law suit :thumbsup::thumbsup: way to go!!!

A law doesn't have to be broken to be searched. Not even probable cause.

Even in the law enforcement context, the State may interfere with an individual's Fourth Amendment interests with less than probable cause and without a warrant if the intrusion is only minimal and is justified by law enforcement purposes. E.g., Michigan State Police Dept v. Sitz, 496 U.S. 444, 450 ('90); Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1, 20 ('68).

You can only be searched if there is reasonable suspicion a crime has been committed.... If there are exigent circumstances then sure a person or property can be searched but not just at the whim of any TSA or law enforcement officer...

You can only be searched if there is reasonable suspicion a crime has been committed.... If there are exigent circumstances then sure a person or property can be searched but not just at the whim of any TSA or law enforcement officer...

you know better than me. but i believe 15 minutes of questions is all a leo has with no probable cause/warrant. i bet it varies from state to state, but last i heard, for no reason at all, a leo may stop you, and question you for 15 minutes for any reason he or she desires. but at that point, the writ of habeas corpus (written in our constitution) takes into effect. there has to be a reason for you to be detained. i may very well be wrong, in that case please correct me

The T "SS" A is the first line of the Fourth Reich's control. What exactly have they done to really prevent any terrorist act? Nothing, except for harassing the customers of the airlines. The public is NOT a customer of the TSA. The TSA are employees of the government, paid with corporate taxes. If anything, they are accountable to the public for their actions, unless this is a Communist or Fascist country. Part of the TSA training includes how to illegally detain and harass the public. Before you TSA people start screaming that I don't have a clue, shut up! I have a relative that has been working for TSA since it was founded. I know more than I want. I refuse to travel by air anymore unless I have no other choice. I'd rather drive or take the train. It might take longer, but at least I'm not being treated like a convict when I travel.

With the TSA they will consider any toiletries as a reason to interrogate you. The last time I had to fly for work, I took two laptops with me. Both were for work. I put them both on the conveyor as requested, with my shoes, belt, and anything else that the ridiculous rules require. I was polite and professional at all times. I demonstrated that both laptops worked and are real. I was moved to a private area and questioned about the laptops. I was there for more than 15 minutes. They wouldn't let me put my shoes back on, or touch any of my belongings during that time. They kept trying to drill me for information about why I needed two laptops. I asked why I was required to tell them. I have that right. When I tired of the game I requested to speak to the site supervisor. I did nothing more than bring my tools that I required to do my job. My computer laptops and the power supplies to recharge them.

The TSA is nothing more than a branch of the Department of Homeland Security that is designed to restrict free movement of the masses by air travel. Soon they will be at all train and bus stations. Hmm. Homeland? Motherland? Sounds a bit too Germany 1938 to 1944 to me.

With the TSA they will consider any toiletries as a reason to interrogate you. The last time I had to fly for work, I took two laptops with me. Both were for work. I put them both on the conveyor as requested, with my shoes, belt, and anything else that the ridiculous rules require. I was polite and professional at all times. I demonstrated that both laptops worked and are real. I was moved to a private area and questioned about the laptops. I was there for more than 15 minutes. They wouldn't let me put my shoes back on, or touch any of my belongings during that time. They kept trying to drill me for information about why I needed two laptops. I asked why I was required to tell them. I have that right. When I tired of the game I requested to speak to the site supervisor. I did nothing more than bring my tools that I required to do my job. My computer laptops and the power supplies to recharge them.

The TSA is nothing more than a branch of the Department of Homeland Security that is designed to restrict free movement of the masses by air travel. Soon they will be at all train and bus stations. Hmm. Homeland? Motherland? Sounds a bit too Germany 1938 to 1944 to me.

Like I said on page one: It all sounds like gestapo tactics to me.

I stopped flying after 911 due to the hassle of all the restrictions and lines and walking around with no shoes and.....

But i do ride more!:thumbsup:....Hello? UPSIDE!

Along with rights come responsibilities. If you feel your rights have been violated by the TSA it was your responsibility to do something about it. TruWreck did but mostly everyone else just complained to friends. Standing up for what you believe in is how you bring about change.

Last edited:
When I fly, I show my Military ID instead of my Driver's License; it usually immediately causes a change in attitude :)

I have mixed feelings about all this. I want the TSA to catch any SOB that tries to harm us, but at the same time I don't want our rights infringed upon. I feel, that unless it causes me personal harm (and then I need to take the 5th and ask for an attorney), cooperation with those charged with our safety would be the preferred route.

Last edited:
you know better than me. but i believe 15 minutes of questions is all a leo has with no probable cause/warrant. i bet it varies from state to state, but last i heard, for no reason at all, a leo may stop you, and question you for 15 minutes for any reason he or she desires. but at that point, the writ of habeas corpus (written in our constitution) takes into effect. there has to be a reason for you to be detained. i may very well be wrong, in that case please correct me

If there is reason to believe a crime has been commited then sure, but a LEO cannot just stop your car because they want to... Technically speaking if a police car turned his lights on and pulled you over they must have reasonable suspicion that a crime has been commited, probable cause must be present to make an arrest....

There isnt a single state in this great country that can bypass the constitution we have been offered.. There are circumstances that allow the police to take actions in certain situations, searches and seizures...

Don't kid yourself I would say that most people just allow their movement rights to be violated just like their voting rights... People don't know or understand the power they have over the government...

CAp

I agree with the car thing, but checkpoints have been found to be constitutional. We also cannot confuse priveleges with rights. Driving a car is a privilege, refusing to let LEO search for no reason, is your right. Just like flying is a privilege and refusing invasive searches is your right. We only differ on where the line is drawn.

I draw the line at what the TSA did you seem to draw the line before that point.

Have to go with the TSA is completely wrong... I think anyone that violates your civil and constitutional rights should be fired immediately. The screening process for hiring really needs to be ramped up. just sayin.

I agree with the car thing, but checkpoints have been found to be constitutional. We also cannot confuse priveleges with rights. Driving a car is a privilege, refusing to let LEO search for no reason, is your right. Just like flying is a privilege and refusing invasive searches is your right. We only differ on where the line is drawn.

I draw the line at what the TSA did you seem to draw the line before that point.

How is flying a privledge? I would say you are purchasing a service.

We LET driving be a privledge by allowing federal, state and local government to regulate it. Why should you pay (through registration fees, licensing fees, inspection fees) to drive on roads your tax dollars pay to build? I believe that all Americans should be able to use any means of conveyance they are able to purchase with their hard earned money as long as doing so does not infringe upon anyone elses right to do the same thing.

TSA has a job to do and they're trying to protect us in the place we appear to be very vulnerable. I don't fly anymore and I'm glad of it.

not only do you need to read the Constitution....but you also need to follow that up with relevant caselaw....

you keep bringing up points that sound great, but don't really pertain to these facts. Bierendt was detained because he refused to answer the legal question presented to him the TSA Agent.

this is the probable cause needed to sit him down and question him further.

you cannot argue that he was held against his will, be cause he chose not to answer. he used his freedom to refuse.

"Remember that every government service, every offer of government-financed security, is paid for in the loss of personal freedom. ... In the days to come, whenever a voice is raised telling you to let the government do it, analyze very carefully to see whether the suggested service is worth the personal freedom which you must forgo in return for such service." Ronald Reagan

If we continue down our current path of losing our freedoms it will only be a short time before we will have Gestapo asking for our papers and the nature of our business for just walking to the corner market.

not only do you need to read the Constitution....but you also need to follow that up with relevant caselaw....

you keep bringing up points that sound great, but don't really pertain to these facts. Bierendt was detained because he refused to answer the legal question presented to him the TSA Agent.

this is the probable cause needed to sit him down and question him further.

you cannot argue that he was held against his will, be cause he chose not to answer. he used his freedom to refuse.

Where is the law on the books that says you cannot travel with 4,000 in cash and a copy of the constitution?

Back