Plug OK in rear tire?

i just patch them from the inside and forget about it. never had a problem or a second thought about the patches coming loose.

In an emergency situation (i.e. to get you home if stranded) a plug can be a benefit. Under no circumstances are they to be trusted for long periods or high speeds. They are made of a different compound than the rest of the tire, and thus will handle temps differently. Everything fails at its weakest point. You are gonna have to buy a new tire eventually, why take the chance of a disaster?

It is illegal to patch motorcycle tires in Va according to my dealer. I don't know if this is true but no way I'm going to take a risk like that.

I personally have used a tube to fix a tire and then ran it to the wear bars with no problems. I'm one of those bury the speedo types....

You can use a string plug if you get a flat on the roadside. Done in the prescribed manner it is safe enough to continue riding at moderate speeds until you can get a professional patch done. A professional patch means to insert a mushroom plug at a tire shop. You can ride your bike normally after that on the road (this excludes track or drag racing).

However YOU need to look and decide:
#1 - If the puncture is within 20mm of the side edge, then you need to consider possible sidewall damage. The tire must be removed and checked.
#2 - Any sidewall damage means new tire.
#3 - There is a limit of 3 patched per tire. If you get more punctures replace the tire.
#4 - If you have run the tire flat, check the sidewall for cracks or heat bands. If it has any replace the tire.

As for how safe a mushroom plug is ... I have used a patched front tire on the track, until it needed replacing. The patch was done correctly by myself.

cant believe this is even a debate. really? change the F-en tire! the only thing that protects you from the grim reaper is ur dam traction on the road at high speeds. if the plug fails on car u have 3 others tires to help. if the plug fails on ur MC so may ur life. plugs on a car are not the same as plugs on a MC.

car, 4 tires. MC, 1 tire. common sense.

I have run plugs more than I'd admit on this board, that being said I have never had a problem. Although only 1k miles left on the tread, that would only last me 2 weeks. So in this case I would replace.

Exactly what GNBRETT said. Kinda of a no brainer IMO.
cant believe this is even a debate. really? change the F-en tire! the only thing that protects you from the grim reaper is ur dam traction on the road at high speeds. if the plug fails on car u have 3 others tires to help. if the plug fails on ur MC so may ur life. plugs on a car are not the same as plugs on a MC.

car, 4 tires. MC, 1 tire. common sense.

Rule of thumb: Don't exceed 80mph on a plugged tire!

Mushroom plug: Yes

Push in plug: Temperary fix

Went on a ride saturday, covered 350 miles, mostly two-up, had a fantastic time.

Sunday morning, something shiny caught my eye in my rear tire, tried to flick it away with my hand, and it turned out to be this huge frickin nail in my tire. Tire was completely flat, have no idea when it happened, never felt anything funny.

The tire probably has another 1000mi on it. I've read up here where people plug their tire on trips when they have a flat. Is that just to get you to a service station, or is it OK to leave it in and ride like normal?

Thanks for the feedback!

I rode with one for a year. Fast, slow, corners, etc... No problems

The biggest problem/danger riding on plugs is - if you throw a plug riding - you get a very sudden deflation and depending on the speed and attitude of the cycle your control over the motorcycle becomes very suspect. Mushrooms less likely to throw, string plugs you should expect to throw. Patches inside tire are going to leak and deflate relatively slowly and are not as dangerous. Also, with respect to throwing plugs they are more likely to dislodge at higher speeds. The higher the speed, the more likely you are to throw a plug, and higher the speed you throw a plug at the more percarious landing safely becomes. I've only had three flats (one being a very sudden and complete deflation that almost caused me to crash - definately lost control of the bike) the entire time I've been riding and just don't see the sense in riding on plugged or patched tires for any length of time other than to get back to the nearest place to replace the tire. Sudden catastrophic deflations can cause situations beyond a riders control and plugged tires are an invitation to that trouble.

PISH!!!!!
I plugged a R1 about 5 years ago, RESULT wrote it off 3 weeks later, The rear tyre blew on a right hand bend while it was banked right over. If I plug its to get me home at no more than 60mph and it never leans in a corner. Once im home a new tyre goes on. Dont risk it, It's not worth it you only have 2 tyres and if one is damaged or the integrity of the tyre corrupted replace it asap. A cheap repair could cost a whole lot more than a new bike.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it has been great.
I understand the peace of mind thing with the new tire, but I've bought six tires in the past two months (2 motorcycle and 4 for my truck) so my wife is about to freak if I tell her I need another tire.
I'm going to plug it (mushroom & inside patch) then coast through the winter on it and get me a new tire once the tread is in the wear bars.

Thanks again for all the advice!! :beerchug:

Back