Please tell me you don't ride like this!!

lol i think ghostrider does it.As bad it as it i was tempted once.I was trying to get to work at 9 am.Look down at the clock and its already 8:50 and im stuck in a morning jam.Did seem tempting but i didnt do it.Better to get chewed by the boss for being late than to get crashed to a pulp between two cars.

Not nearly as dangerous as people think. Usually the "dangers" are touted by people who don't split lanes.

Hmmmmmmmm.
rock.gif

The door popping open at you is a favorite. And yet, in all my years of driving So. CA Freeways, not ONE person has ever said it happened to them or that they actually did it to someone else.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
rock.gif

I've very nearly gotten squished between cars on a couple of occasions but it was apparent that the driver was merely daydreaming or on the phone or otherwise distracted. Not malicious at all.

Once, I took a cigarette butt in the face but it was a butt, not someone throwing something at me out of aggression.

The space between cars is pretty wide on most freeways. You don't want to do it on the Pasadena Freeway 'cause it's pretty narrow. Some others are too.

That vid looked like it was taped in Hong Kong. I think he was okay but a little faster than I would ever go. Well, I did split two cars at 160 one time many years ago. Scared the he11 outta myself.
biggrin.gif

Yeah. Lane splitting is not all the hellfire and brimstone I keep hearing it is.

--Wag--

rock.gif

i split when theyre stopped

once on my way to work, the damn streets shut down to let a VERY LONG string of joggers cross, some stupid charity deal.
anyway, im runnin late, so i get off the bike, push it thru the cars, thru the joggers, get on and start it up.
look over, theres a cop lookin, kinda smilin.
i pop a mentos in my mouth, give a thumbs up, and take off!

lol i think ghostrider does it.As bad it as it i was tempted once.I was trying to get to work at 9 am.Look down at the clock and its already 8:50 and im stuck in a morning jam.Did seem tempting but i didnt do it.Better to get chewed by the boss for being late than to get crashed to a pulp between two cars.
Wise decision. When emotions overcome common sense, accidents are much more likely to happen.

In many countries, lane spliting motorcycles on overcrouded streets is the norm. The biggest problem with it in the states (other than being illegal in most states) are the a$$hat drivers that think its their lane because their car is in it. I agree with Wag, most cagers don't have the guts to cause a crash even if they think they want to, but there are so many people on the road doing on their cell phone, putting on make-up, shaving, reading, etc while driving and not paying attention to what's going on around them.

Not worth it for me, but I don't commute a long distance to work.

yep.. it is more dangerous.. i guess some people want that extra rush.. cheaper than installing a turbo
smile.gif

i have lane split but only to get by two cars.. not a long series like that.

Yeah that guy is going way too fast between those lanes. At times I seen his speedometer at around 90 miles an hour. As bad as traffic is here in my city, I would be mentally tired after going 10 miles or so. My buddy has split lanes (but only in an emergency situation) and it scared da hell outta him. If I have to I will but that is not my cup of tea.

Never did it. Never will. Just seems too dangerous to me. I don't have that much *faith* in the attentiveness of the automobile drivers.

Oh yeah, I also believe it is illegal in my state.

The door popping open at you is a favorite.  And yet, in all my years of driving So. CA Freeways, not ONE person has ever said it happened to them or that they actually did it to someone else.
+1

I've never seen it and I've split lanes on the 5, 405, 101 and a list of other freeways without ever seeing someone open a door.

I did see one man go down without a helmet while splitting when he misjudged the distance and the front wheel hit the rear bumper of the car in front of him.

Back