PLEASE...DO THE KICKSTAND MOD

i did the side stand mod 1st thing and then put frame sliders on as added insurance, but now that i have lowered the bike an inch i wonder if the frame sliders aren't too short........

but i have to agree that the best program is to roll the bike as far forward as it will go in gear and then sit it on the side stand.

what would kill me is having to ask four apes to help me stand it back up if it did dump over.

Im laughin at all the remarks about just put it in gear and push it fwd then set it on the side stand..... AS IF ALL OF US WHO HAD TO PICK THAT BEATCH UP OFF DA GROUND HADNT THOUGHT OF THAT BEFORE!....

Were only sharing our pain with your wallet. Anyone who has heard that painful crack said to them selves that "THEY" didnt need to do it.

BUT GUESS WHAT! NEXT DAY IT WAS DONE!

ICE:D

Ummmmm. I pull mine out of the garage, put the stand down out in the driveway, leave the bike running, in neutral, with the wheel turned, pointing down the slight slope of my driveway.

Hasn't fallen over yet.

However, I think I may take the time to do the damn mod this weekend. Y'all just scared the hell outta me and I DID put the frame sliders on last weekend. The dealer did, actually.

Been wantin' a dremel tool anyway.

--Wag--

////

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107492083 -->

Go ahead, yell at me...I still haven't done that mod and my Busa's been lowered 2 inches in the front and rear...

I'm always tugging at it after I park it and put the stand down.  It's always parked in gear, but I still tug and pull before walking away to make sure it's stable...

I know, I know...do the mod...  
With Caesar being so low to the ground he'll just roll over and wait for ya to scratch his tummy and pick'm back up 
tounge.gif

uploaded_banner.jpg

[/b]</span>[/url]contact Rhythm or KS-WaterBug for password to recieve group discount price on HID kits.[/QUOTE]
Funny, when I dropped Caesar in the driveway because I was stoopid
mad.gif
rubbing his belly didn't help! I had to suck it up and call a neighbor and beg for him to come help me pick the beast up...

I'm just mindful of where I park...no problems yet...looks damn good nearly standing vertical too! Flame away...I'll go find the dremel...
laugh.gif

uploaded_banner.jpg

...... or fit a center stand.

Sometimes it's not the wind that blows it over, sometimes it's some idiot who climbs on the bike/nudges it when you're not looking....

...... or fit a center stand.

Sometimes it's not the wind that blows it over, sometimes it's some idiot who climbs on the bike/nudges it when you're not looking....
IMO, leaving it on the center stand is even more dangerous than an un-modded kickstand. The bike has a much more stable footprint while leaning on the side stand. A large gust of wind could knock it over while on the center stand (or an idot bumping into it..)
wink.gif

Welcome to the club! I can say I feel your pain as my Busa tipped over when it was two months old. Pulled in my driveway and parked it, walked over to the mail box and heard a loud crunch. I wanted to puke.
I didn't bother reporting it to the insurance as it would just cost more in the long run when they raise the rates.
New lower and upper (nose) panels will set you back $850 delivered from Ronayers.com.
New OEM mirror and muffler off Ebay will set you back another $50 or so...heck I even have a new spare right muffler can now. People change those items out on brand new bikes so they are dime-a-dozen. It'll take you about 1 hour to replace. If you have a $1K deductible it would pay for you to do it yourself.

As far as the kickstand mod...I hate to say it but I've yet to do it
wow.gif
Maybe this weekend it'll get done.

I've owned 4 bikes before the Busa and there was NEVER any reason to worry about leaving the bike in neutral, up hill, down hill or whatever. As an experiment I put one of my CXT's in neutral and pushed it forward while on the kickstand and it simply would not go up, it just dug into the ground.

I still say Suzuki is going to be on the receiving end of a huge lawsuit when one of their bikes falls on a small child. That thought alone makes me nervous just leaving it in a parking lot.

In the back of the manual there is a number for the NHTSA for reporting anything that "could cause a crash OR could cause injury or death".

I bet if we all called that number something would have to be done. At the very least it would get an investigation going against Suzuki and cost them $$$$.

Actually I'm going to give them a call tomorrow or Monday if they're not in.

1-800-424-9393

Let's face it, even in gear, unless you take the slack out of the drivetrain there is enough movement to cause that POS stand to fold up!!!

VaBusa, Caesar.... isnt that the name of the dude in the movie 187 w/sammy jackson. "R U DONE YET" on his reattached finger?

I did it and it was the best thing I ever did... Much easier to just put the stand down and leave and not have to worry about pulling the bike back, this, that, and everything else...

takes about 20 minutes with a dremel...

Ouch
cussing.gif

post-6-71142-kickmod.jpg

uploaded_banner.jpg

[/b]</span>[/url], contact Rhythm or KS-WaterBug for password to recieve group discount price on HID kits.
How much exactly...does someone have some details? ...id hate to compromise the strenght of the kickstand. Those two little knobs do alot of work.

<!--EDIT|BentValve
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112764165 -->

uploaded_banner.jpg

IMO, leaving it on the center stand is even more dangerous than an un-modded kickstand. The bike has a much more stable footprint while leaning on the side stand. A large gust of wind could knock it over while on the center stand (or an idot bumping into it..)  
wink.gif
I think I took about an 1/8" off if I remember right. Try grinding a little off at a time and then seeing how much further forward the kickstand comes.

This is obviously another topic where we will never get everyone to agree on if it should be done or not.

All I can say is that the 'Busa felt more stable on the kickstand after I did it. If you're happy with the stability of the bike as is, don't make the change.

With regards to the center stand, it's obvious this isn't a popular option on this board. However, I find it gives me more choices when parking the bike on varius surfaces. If it's bumpy or an incline, I'll use the kickstand, if it's level, I'll use the center (center is also great for when you're messing with the back tire, working on the engine, fueling without having to sit on the bike to get the tank level etc.) I'll also put something under either if the surface is soft so they don't dig in.

I've never had an incident with any of my bikes falling off either stand, in windy weather or whatever. And I try to watch my bike if possible so if someone's messing with it I can mess with them....

Maybe the ideal solution is a motion/perimeter alarm that warns you when idiots or high winds are around?

Damn! This thread again. It gives me a guilt trip everytime I see it because I have yet to do it. This weekend I should have time for the spring maintenance, so guilt should be gone then.

I'm going on 5 years and I have not had this problem. Of course I guess it's not a matter of [i[]if/i], but when.

PARK THE BIKE IN GEAR, RELEASE THE CLUTCH AND PUSH IT THAT LITTLE EXTRA TO MAKE SURE IT WON'T MOVE FORWARD WHEN YOU WALK AWAY, THEN SET IT ON THE KICK STAND!
wink.gif

I always thought this was common bike knowledge!?!?!
rock.gif
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was wondering how many damn pages I would have to read before this was said. I do this EVERY time without fail, and Gotti's law says if it is in gear there is no way in hell it is rollin forward off the kickstand. The kickstand mod weakens the shear streangth of the kickstand and is not worth doing when you can simply roll it 4 inches forward till it stops

I HATE the Harley kickstands. It's nice they lock and all, but the bikes look like they're about to fall all the time, which makes me cringe everytime i see it. A few salesmen at the local HD dealer told me the kickstands don't always work so well.

PARK THE BIKE IN GEAR, RELEASE THE CLUTCH AND PUSH IT THAT LITTLE EXTRA TO MAKE SURE IT WON'T MOVE FORWARD WHEN YOU WALK AWAY, THEN SET IT ON THE KICK STAND!
wink.gif

I always thought this was common bike knowledge!?!?!
rock.gif
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was wondering how many damn pages I would have to read before this was said. I do this EVERY time without fail, and Gotti's law says if it is in gear there is no way in hell it is rollin forward off the kickstand. The kickstand mod weakens the shear streangth of the kickstand and is not worth doing when you can simply roll it 4 inches forward till it stops
I always leave it in gear roll forward to take slack out . and i still did the kickstand mod this winter.

just dont wanna come out and see my new paint all scratched up. takes all of 10 min. to do the mod .....SO JUST DO IT. u will notice the bike lean more and my front wheel automatically turns to the left now.

Here are a few picks of mine, nothing fancy as I only used a dremel and a grinding stone ,results are a much more stable stance.  thanks guys.
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|BentValve
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113884383 -->

Back