Plasma / HD TV's

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Was strolling around Best Buy the other day and was drolling like most guys and as I gaze upon the awesome Plasma & Hd' TV's I cant get over the cost of these things. I know they have come down a bit and the tech is getting cheaper than it was a few years ago.

And I agree that the picture quality is incredible but the degree of better pic over the conventional tube doesnt seem to match the price tag?  $4000 - $7000 or more!  vs a really nice flat tube with all the bells and whistles for $300 - $900  I think I would be willing to pay more like double the cost of a regular but not 5-10X more...  I could do some awesome mods to my busa for that kinda dough.

What do you think? Are any on you guys buying these?

Sharp AQUOS 45" $7999.00

<!--EDIT|Hawaiibusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104342621 -->

Titanium_Image_Top.jpg

I'm of the same mind you are.. can't see spending that kind of cash on a TV. Also, talking with salesman it seems that the plasma TVs need to be serviced once in a while and the service costs as much as the TV? not sure if he was blowing smoke cause he wanted to sell the LCD TV or what.

Can't justify the cost. But if I had the extra money laying around, oh yeah, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Shoot, I could almost buy another hayabusa for that much!!  
wow.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104343698 -->

I'd shoot my husband if he walked in with one!
tounge.gif

Luckily, his azz is poor, so he settled for something more reasonable...

They are nice, but not THAT damn nice...
wow.gif

<----------guilty (twice) I have one for the family room and the Upstairs Loft. Flat panel Panasonics

Vabausa, walking in the door I had to dodge a few shots, but for the most part she was pleased when I set them up. She got a new car so she couldnt complain to much.

Every year, the Coach throws the baddest super bowl party in Florida. "All are welcome"
biggrin.gif

BAH, I mean if your just goin gto be burning money for nothing Plasma is great.  Expense is the biggest drawback, as is Burn in from Video Games, or Properly formated 4:3 TV signals...   Meaning you cannot watch normal formatted TV on your Plasma TV Because you "Burn In" or Age the phosphors in the middle of the screen more than the sides resulting in a fugged picture.  To solve it you often find folks having to view normal TV "STREEETCHED" and all distorted, kinda funny.  

Plasma will come down in price it allready is, in the meantime I think they are sorta the H2 or the AV World, bought to try to impress folks, you know keeping up with the Joneses or some silly shid.

The Plasma display certainly has a place when we are talking confined spaces though, it's thiness is a huge bonus, especially when measured against conventional Bigscreens, not everyone has the room...  

OK OK I here ya, "Well wise ass what the hell do YOU recommend?"  Well I'll tell ya!  
laugh.gif

I bought a Samsung 50" DLP HDTV. It's a bigscreen yes, but it only weighs 77lbs and is 17.5" deep. So it's no Plasma, but it's easy to fit in a normal room. The picture quality rivals the Plasma Displays but it can be had for not a whole lot of money. Make certain you get the Gen3 DLP TI Chip.

If I were going to do it again though, there is only ONE Answer. A DLP Or LCOS projector. Like this one from Infocus
bdm.com

What? I wouldn't do the Samsung DLP again? Actually I would, but the rear projectors just make too much damn sense. Mounted to your ceiling they take up almost NO room, and you can feed nearly any signal you want to them with excellent results. HD Ready, screen size about the size of your wall... Seriously you can have a 10'X30' or so screen PAINTED on your wall if you so desired. Watch Football with players about the size you are, or video games with lifesize cars almost... You get the idea...

Basically you can get a screen that is just massive, either a proper DAlight Beaded screen or a High quality painted (They Sell it) screen and it takes up NO floorspace...
thumbs-up.gif
I used a lot of the projectors when I was active duty and they can produce excellent images without taking up a lot of room.

So Basically yeah, DLP or LCOS rear projection TV's or Projectors are the only way to go right now IMHO, from a price/performance perspective. Give it about 5 years or so then I'll bet Plasma will be a lot more logically priced.

My .50 anyway...

OH and be certain you get a Newer Progressive Scan DVD player with a DVI output if you get a samsung DLP TV. DVD's play from the player to the TV directly through the digital link with ZERO Analog-Digital Conversion... The Picture is just amazing... DVI actually made a significant difference...

Whew Rev! Now I'm spent...
tounge.gif

In a perfect world, with tons of money, I'd have 'em...in every room...

ridercoach, if my hubby bought one of those, I'd EXPECT a brand new GT Mustang in the driveway, then I'd bypass the whole shooting thing...
biggrin.gif
You did good...
smile.gif

<----------guilty (twice) I have one for the family room and the Upstairs Loft. Flat panel Panasonics
Hey Coach, I am not throwing jabs BTW... I didn't see that you had posted up about your Plasma's until after I wrote my above post...

Not taking shots....

For 1/4 the cost I just got meself a projector and am gonna have a HUGE 10 foot diagnal screen on my wall! Yeah, it will look fuzzier that big but once you get used to it, that rocks more than anything else! DVD Movies, video games, TV, PC, all huge, Huge, HUGE!!!

Whew Rev!  Now I'm spent...
tounge.gif

In a perfect world, with tons of money, I'd have 'em...in every room...

ridercoach, if my hubby bought one of those, I'd EXPECT a brand new GT Mustang in the driveway, then I'd bypass the whole shooting thing...
biggrin.gif
 You did good...
smile.gif
Heck I think you NEED a New GT... With Some Rally Wheels... Red...
thumbs-up.gif

And yeah, like I said don't take me too seriously Folks when I am raggin on things. I pretty much just toss my thoughts out there good and bad... Plasma looks freaking cool, no way around it, it just has the Burn In/price considerations that keep me away for now... I like my PSII....

For 1/4 the cost I just got meself a projector and am gonna have a HUGE 10 foot diagnal screen on my wall!  Yeah, it will look fuzzier that big but once you get used to it, that rocks more than anything else!  DVD Movies, video games, TV, PC, all huge, Huge, HUGE!!!
Dude Just ask the Captain to fix your WWJD account... PLEASE!!!! This W3JD just isn't working out...
thumbs-up.gif

whew! tmi ( too much info ) I need a nap after reading this ...
wink.gif
just kiddin thanx for the input Rev.

Wow, too much info for me. I might have learned a thing or two here. I'd be happy with a new face shield for my helmet!
cool.gif

Hey Rev. I wouldn't expect anything else out of you
laugh.gif
. No offense taken. I like to believe I am the Jones that the neighbors are trying to keep up with.
biggrin.gif

You are right about the picture stretch. I barely watch regular tv anymore. All my movie channels that I subscribe to are HD as are most of my local channels. Panasonic has it where if you decide to watch 4:3 aspect ratio then you can use grey for the side bars instead of black. It lessens the deterioation of the picture over time. Whats nice is more and more shows are being broadcasted in HD now. Give it a few years and all shows will be (I hope). I have to admit, Discovery HD is the best channel ever. Any rate, here is a pic of Tubes...

<!--EDIT|ridercoach
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104348992 -->

TH_50XVS3O.jpg

OH yeah, Discovery HD and HDNET get a lot of Airtime at my place... The best though is FootBall in HD...
thumbs-up.gif
smile.gif
The Grey Sidebars are a good idea...

What really blew me away though is just how crappy regular TV signals look on the big TV's.... Kinda sorry...

Back