Plasma / HD TV's

here's a closer up of the image in pause mode. it is standard S-video output from my average DVD player. no jaggies, no "screen door" effect, very smooth. I am impressed.

Yeah, I could watch normal TV programs with the lightsway up, but why bother? It's a quick 'flick' to dim them to half, get a HUGE picture, and still see the surrounding environment.

closeup.JPG

Still watching TV with the 8 year old 27inch Magnavox.........Affraid to dust it for fear it will stop working
biggrin.gif

I like the picture of them flat panels though. 4-7k is alittle high for my budget, but they are definately sweet!!!!!

Here's how the lights are most of the time when vegging out, gaming or working in the studio.... of OFF completely.  The projector is sharp, accurate, smooth.. I love it already.  It will take me a few months to tune and tweak the image to a point where I am completely comfortable with it, but as is, it's GREAT!  Everything is bigger and more detailed.  The projector is an OPTOMA 739 that my home theater freak friend recommened, and the lamp should last around 5000 hours.  Lamps are about $380 to replace FYI  but BOY, is it worther it.  This picture is HUGE!!
VERY VERY NICE!!!!  That's what I was talking about...  A REAL Big Screen without all the expense and BS...  
smile.gif
 Though you do need the lights dimmed for max effect.  Looks good WWJD.

Best part, you can feed it anything you want, Including your PC, without worrying about burn-in!  
thumbs-up.gif
 Excellent solution to Home theater...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104848740 -->

yeah man! It was $1500, projector weighs about 6 lbs [easy to move around or carry to a friends], and is SUPER quiet. I was worried about fan noise, but I can barely tell it's on.

Here's how the lights are most of the time when vegging out, gaming or working in the studio.... of OFF completely.  The projector is sharp, accurate, smooth.. I love it already.  It will take me a few months to tune and tweak the image to a point where I am completely comfortable with it, but as is, it's GREAT!  Everything is bigger and more detailed.  The projector is an OPTOMA 739 that my home theater freak friend recommened, and the lamp should last around 5000 hours.  Lamps are about $380 to replace FYI  but BOY, is it worther it.  This picture is HUGE!!
You know your killin' me don't you!......Congrats on the puchase....Mine's comin' after the move. That would look sweet in my system....I'd have to get a line quadrupler though, would definately be worth the extra expense.

What would you like me to bring over for Superbowl Sunday?

Chips, beer? You name it..
biggrin.gif

From what I see, I shouldn't even use a line doubler. I see no scan lines that need filled in. I don't get it. Maybe the new stuff auto smooths or line doubles already? Only thing I see is artiofacts from DVD compression, but bigger now. I'm using an average $100 DVD player S-Video out but come to think of it, looks like a computer is reimigaing it anyway somehow. This will do HD if I bought an HD reciever

I don't know about a line doubler at a $1500 price, but maybe, as prices are dropping pretty rapidly on some pretty awesome technology. With or without doesn't matter, I'm still jealous
sad.gif
........ENJOY!

Oh yeah, you never answered me about the Superbowl ....beer ....chips?

OK, here we go folks.

I can answer alot of your plasma TV questions as well as Projector questions. Some of which is because I own a few of each as well the Company I own handles a majority of the installs for http://www.vidikron.com/, and http://www.faroudja.com/home.phtml products as well as most of the best buy, HH Greg, and good ole radio shack in central ohio. I can offer any answers I have. I personally would wait on getting a plasma, I would lean towards a projector (ceiling mount type) or a DLP flat screen before plasma.

Once you ionize or "START" a plasma TV the ionization and evaporation process starts and cannot be controlled, replaced or slowed. Most plasma tv's are contrast heavy and cause them to have "BURN IN" on the screen extremely easy. Nowadays almost every channel out there has their logo in the corner and that burns into your plasma screen very very easy. Their nice but 3-5 year shelf life isnt worth it to me.

JD

Almost all consumer plasma tv's are HD ready. Havnt seen one that isnt. THe wall mount is extra. Bastards. Plasma and front projection (ceiling mounts) do not get dark on the sides as "FLOOR MODEL" big screens do.

JD

I don't know about a line doubler at a $1500 price, but maybe, as prices are dropping pretty rapidly on some pretty awesome technology. With or without doesn't matter, I'm still jealous
sad.gif
........ENJOY!

Oh yeah, you never answered me about the Superbowl ....beer ....chips?
What's this "Superbowl Sunday" thing? Is that like some big Jesus-freak, global worship service, church thang? I don't care if you bring beer to church but many other people are gonna stare at you funny. Come on over! I live at 1111 Anystreet, Anytown USA and am open 24 hours, but not in a row.

Great info ICEman. Quick question: my new projector is DLP and one of the hottest sellers right now [great reviews, great specs, great price, sold out most everywhere], but mine has a "black level" that that ends up looking almost "negative" like or dark reddish. I'm returning it because I am 99% certain it is bad. I compare it to two other projectors from work that look great - both older, with lesser specs than this Optoma 739. Do ya think I got a lemon? My friends tell me black should be right on black on the latest DLP projectors. What do ya think?

Um, 3rd Generation T.I. DLP, blacks should be real real healthy. Might have some jaggies due to signal but otherwise you should have true Black Blacks...

Something else to consider. Find a Projector with a DVI input, Screw Componant video and the ghastly S-Video. Pick up a DVI out capable Progressive scan DVD Player (Under $200) and run the DVi straight into your projector, makes a huge difference. At least with my DLP Samsung. Feeding the signal via DVI means there is no Analog to Digital conversion, no signal degredation which results in an allmost HD quality image from your DVD player...

I picked up a Samsung DVD player with DVI and Progressive scan just to see if it would improve the signal VS my Sony DVD Player, I was blown away by the improvement in quality between componant output and DVI... Yeah the remote is fidgity, and it lacks alot of features but not only does it handle DVD's, it will even read JPEGS off of CD-r's which is pretty cool... Can you say Whoop But Slide Show???
smile.gif

Man, I don't wanna buy yet ANOTHER dvd player - dang it! I hate that. I will plug in the component stuff and at least get that much working. I returning my projector for a replacement already. Someone's gotta get the lemons - might as well be me! I'm pretty tolerant.
biggrin.gif

My friend got a 50" Pioneer plasma, the picture is fantastic but you can't be too close to it.  She just got a Pioneer 600 watt home theater system too.  Sounds excellent!

Back