Goodbye Flat-Screens?: State Weighs Tough TV Energy Standards

greyrocket

Registered
Its getting to the point to why do i even live in this stupid state anymore :poke: soon breathing is going to cause global warming and be illegal in CA

SACRAMENTO (AP) -- Many flat-screen televisions may soon be unavailable in California stores.

Calling the TVs electricity hogs, state energy regulators are expected to adopt rules this summer requiring retailers to sell only TVs that meet guidelines of the federal Energy Star program by 2011.

Plasma and the popular liquid-crystal display, or LCD, TVs guzzle considerably more energy than old cathode-ray tube sets.

State regulators say a 48-inch plasma TV can draw more power than a large refrigerator.

But industry leaders are objecting to the proposed rules, saying they would bar the sale of nearly a quarter of all flat-screen TVs and all but one plasma TV on the market today.

They say the standards threaten to limit consumer choice, drive shoppers to the Internet and put specialty retailers out of business.

The Associated Press

Goodbye Flat-Screens?: State Weighs Tough TV Energy Standards | News10.net | Sacramento, California | Local News

and the funny thing is my old 27" samsung lcd died in December. So i went over to Fry's and got a new one and used a friends tax exempt card :laugh: :moon: CA and there is a fee for buying a new TV but cause i had the card i did not have too CA :moon: :laugh:

Pretty sure the article is incorrect, Plasma is hugely inefficient but our LCD TV's are quite the opposite I believe. FWIW, I'll bet it's standard issue mess up.

It's OK though cause we have OLEDs and LED TVs on their way soon to the mass market. You'll be GTG.

yeah i know LCD use way less energy but its still Liberal ass CA Its a bunch of dip ****s that run this state plus OLED tv's and LED are way $$$$ i just got a samsung 37" 1080P for under $800 and those other TV's are 3K+

Last edited:
I don't see a problem with the makers getting their act together. I'm all for more efficient TV's, really efficient, I paying the electric bill and as long as it works. Don't worry John, I don't think you'll see TV's disappear any time soon, only better products to choose from.

you think your state is bad, here in the good ol' state of mass. they just granted inmates flat screens w/ hd. i guess power is not of concern here among other things. :whistle:

Same crap is going around Europe I hear. Now I'll give them one point, they really do use more power than a refrigerator. Mine uses 160-70w when it's running, my 19" LCD monitor uses almost 100w on high brightness. I can picture a TV twice it's size running over 200w easily. But that still pales in comparison to my heating bill, where 60F here in the midwest is costing me over $100/m. I will pay more for heating, in just 2 months than I will to power EVERYTHING ELSE FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR. And I leave my computer on 24/7. :poke:

Ya just gotta love the Great State of California huh? Tax everything..issue IOU's for State refunds to the people who pay the tax.

r8

naw. I too assumed LCD was much less power than plasma, but I're read a number of places that say LCD can be even more. It doesn't make sense to me either

Maybe the government should sponsor public awareness campaigns to get people to
STOP WATCHING SO MUCH TV ALL THE TIME! Get OFF the couch, put down the chips and do something PHYSICAL. But that would inspire passion and life, the things govenments need stifled to keep control.

naw. I too assumed LCD was much less power than plasma, but I're read a number of places that say LCD can be even more. It doesn't make sense to me either

Maybe the government should sponsor public awareness campaigns to get people to
STOP WATCHING SO MUCH TV ALL THE TIME! Get OFF the couch, put down the chips and do something PHYSICAL. But that would inspire passion and life, the things govenments need stifled to keep control.

The last sentence is priceless.

Can you say "social engineering?" Pelosi can.

r8

Back