TV using the web?

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Anyone here an expert re. online tv?

My intent is to reduce or eliminate the Dish TV bill.

I keep hearing more and more about google tv, Yahoo has something coming out and even now you can order services online...

here is what I have been finding so far :

http://televisionfanatic.com

TVneto - Online Radio & TV Toolbar

and of course there is
Hulu and channel chooser ...

Anyone know whats best and least complicated to actually watch my hd tv while plugged into the pc? ( I dont even know what I am talking about really :laugh: )

i like hulu...
just get a hdmi cord (or s-video) and plug them up-
the input will say what channel to put the tv on to see your comp.
make sure you have the properties set to allow an extra monitor to be hooked up to the pc- i like the 'clone' setting
to set this- right click on your desktop background then choose properties>settings> advanced>then hit the tab with your video cards name on it (mine is a nvidia)
it will have a button to start the controll panel- hit it
you should then see a list on the left side of the new screen that says 'set up multiple displays'...
it will guide you through the rest...
hope this helps!

S-Video SUCKS!!!

If your PC has an HDMI out, use that. If not:

Get a DVI to HDMI conversion cable:
DVI & HDMI Cables - Digital Video Cables, DVI, HDMI, DFP, P&D / M1 - ComputerCableStore.com

DVI doesn't carry sound like HDMI, It's likely that you have a coaxial or optical digital audio out on your PC. If not, you're stuck with the standard plugs, get the appropriate audio cable and run it all to your TV or reciever. I use my reciever.

Wireless keyboard and mouse is handy, although they suck for gaming, so I don't have them... well I do, but they are dust collectors in the closet.

I've been going PC -> TV for a few years now... You'll never go back.

I use HULU, or the actual network sites, Netflix, and EZTV.IT (AMAZING torrent site for TV shows only)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

EDIT: This is the appropriate Male / Male DVI - HDMI cable:
http://www.computercablestore.com/HDMI_HDMI_to_DVI_catID484.aspx

Last edited:
thanx guyz, this does help. My PC is about 4-5 years old but has Windows Media center and I have upgraded to win 7 but no hdmi cable out. I'll be looking into upgrading or alternatives ...

:bowdown:

Last edited:
You will need to purchase a video card that support HDMI if you truly want to experience HD on you HD tv. Depending on what type of PC you already own,you might need to upgrade more then just a video card. Case size(decent video cards are rather bulky now),power supply if not powerful enough, motherboard with a free PCIe slot, etc...

I have been happy with my PCI cable plugged into the back of the tv. Most HD tvs have a slot. HDMI is easiest but not nessasary.

If you are looking to upgrade I suggest you think about a powerful laptop. Most have HDMI ports and all have PCI ports (the port your computer monitor plugs into looks like a trapiziod.) Then get a wireless key board and a wireless mouse. Plug in HDMI or PCI cable, turn on lap top close lid and it will never know it has a built in screen. Then if you need to have mobile computing you can just unplug your laptop and take it with you. Don't skimp on ram or video cards you will be sorry. If you don't have an external TaraByte hard drive get one for all back up.

I am typing this one a pc hooked up to my tv. it is ancient but a good enough geek can limp them along past there service life.

I have not paid for television in over 10 years by using a PC.

I have a desktop PC that is only used for internet/TV on my flat screen TV. The PC has a DVI video connection, so I bought a cable with DVI on one side and HDMI on the other. I then ran that cable into an automatically switching splitter because I also have my PS3 connected. The splitter detects which is powered on and feeds the signal from that device. You can switch manually as well, but auto is easy. Then there is a 20 ft HDMI cable that runs into the wall and up to my TV.

The audio and video from the PC both go over the HDMI cable, so no need to run a separate audio cable. This also allows me to use my home theater.

I use a Logitech bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse combo and store them in an end table next to the couch. This allows for easy changing of sites to Netflix, Hulu, etc.

I use the Google Chrome browser as I found it to be the fastest when dealing with streaming video. You can also sync your browser with other computers so that they all have the same shortcuts stored in memory. If you change one, it will replicate to the rest of them when they turn on.

Ok, let me throw a lil twist in here ...

1. How can I watch tv in different rooms? I have 4 right now.
2. How cumbersome is it to turn on and tune in to something you like?

1. I can watch mine in multiple rooms but then again I have a separate video server that will stream the video(s) of my choosing across my in-home network. Which is then picked up by the PS3 I have in the Living room and the master bedroom. The video server pulls movies from a 4TB NAS and video from websites such as HULU etc.

2. Picking what I want to watch is rather easy through the PS3 selection menu which doesn't really change much.

My only suggestion if you wish to stream to multiple rooms in the house at the same time is to make sure you have the bandwidth capabilities or you will get skips and chops in the video feeds. I went from a 100mb connection through a Linksys to a full blown Cisco 2960G-24(I got it on a SUPER discount, and half the ports don't work, but who cares I only needed 9 of them anyways.) You don't need to hit up the whole 2960G route like I did unless you get lucky on a price but any 4-8 port 1G switch would do the job just fine.

I'm running a TivoHD connected to an OTA antenna and with a Netflix account attached. I get 10 perfect picture HD channels for my prime-time stuff and a ton of other stuff through Netflix. I did this change in February and for the first week or two I missed some stuff like History & Discovery, buy now that my family has settled into a routine we find that there is still more TV than we can watch being recorded by the TiVo and we are quite content.

Seriously, some of you guys should give it a try, it's quite liberating not being tied to any entertainment vendor AND saving the $$$.

My Tivo costs me ~$14 and Netflix streaming can now be had for $8 per month i think.

netflix-tivo.jpg

The problem with EZTV and like torrent sites is you are required to download the shows you want to watch. It's not the downloading that is the issue it is the "trace" the tele companies place on the files you download. You run the risk of receiving a letter in the mail claiming you "stole" copyrighted material and having your internet turned off.

Connecting the television to the PC is a simple thing, figuring out where you want to get your viewing choices from is the tough decision.

Back