Planned Track Mods - Please Opine

I wear a back protector religiously and saved my back from getting smashed probably about 7 years ago but I never forget it was mandatory at the track so it just crossed over to using for road riding. just amazing how much impact they absorb
Yeah man. Had a relatively high speed low side at Nelson Ledges, I didn’t get seriously injured but man day 2 my entire body felt like it was beat with a pool stick except for my back which felt amazing. Thank you to Back Protector for that.

Thought I had posted this already.

WARNING: this is painful to watch. I am slow. Used engine braking, very little levers. Learning the lines. FYI

Not bad! My first track video was even slower than that. Looks like you are turning in late on some of those turns. Following the instructor is a good way to learn the ropes. I learned riding too slow on the track is a great way to develop bad habits. For me, I was notoriously short-shifting the Busa. LAst track day I did I got that worked out.

What pressure you running in front? Seems it's too low. Front ain't tracking as well as it could
Street, I usually run both tires at 34, dropped to 30 for this track day and monitored the range for the first couple sessions then got distracted working the track line.
Not bad! My first track video was even slower than that. Looks like you are turning in late on some of those turns. Following the instructor is a good way to learn the ropes. I learned riding too slow on the track is a great way to develop bad habits. For me, I was notoriously short-shifting the Busa. LAst track day I did I got that worked out.
Thanks! Definitely a learning experience I would recommend for all riders. I thought I knew what a line was, or what it should look like ... actually doing it (right) turns out to be another thing entirely. Honestly, I found the track experience remarkably different from street riding, mostly in the turns, obviously in execution. You watch MotoGP, for example, and can appreciate how entrance into a turn determines both speed and exit, and therefore the next turn's setup. Putting that all together on the track? No wonder they pay those guys so well.

A couple riders in the fast group said, 'don't watch the vid; you'll be disappointed'.
Me? Not so much.

Street, I usually run both tires at 34, dropped to 30 for this track day and monitored the range for the first couple sessions then got distracted working the track line.

Thanks! Definitely a learning experience I would recommend for all riders. I thought I knew what a line was, or what it should look like ... actually doing it (right) turns out to be another thing entirely. Honestly, I found the track experience remarkably different from street riding, mostly in the turns, obviously in execution. You watch MotoGP, for example, and can appreciate how entrance into a turn determines both speed and exit, and therefore the next turn's setup. Putting that all together on the track? No wonder they pay those guys so well.

A couple riders in the fast group said, 'don't watch the vid; you'll be disappointed'.
Me? Not so much.
I recall a time when I was doing my superbike (RACE) course, the number 1 ranked superbike rider at the time (Michel Mercier) came to ride with us...

We used to do a game called "follow the rabbit" and when we tried to do this game following him, we certainly got a serious work out....when we were all in the pits after, this guy was barely winded and we all looked like we just did a foot race...

I considered myself to be a pretty fit soldier at the time but this sort of thing uses totally different muscles...

Me? Not so much.
30 is too low. Look at 2:44. That corner you weren't going too fast yet the bikes front end lost its tracking. Remember the Busa is a fat pig and all the usual recommendations for tire pressure don't apply to fat pigs like us. Next trackday bump it up 2 psi each session till you feel the front end following the lines you are aiming for. With too low a front tire pressure the front tire deforms and and loses its precision. I run 36-39 hot on the track pressure. I have a constant pressure monitor so I know exactly my pressure while on track. I do run warmers. Good investment for longer tire life and consistent performance. Even on street tires.

30 is too low. Look at 2:44. That corner you weren't going too fast yet the bikes front end lost its tracking. Remember the Busa is a fat pig and all the usual recommendations for tire pressure don't apply to fat pigs like us. Next trackday bump it up 2 psi each session till you feel the front end following the lines you are aiming for. With too low a front tire pressure the front tire deforms and and loses its precision. I run 36-39 hot on the track pressure. I have a constant pressure monitor so I know exactly my pressure while on track. I do run warmers. Good investment for longer tire life and consistent performance. Even on street tires.
Correction: Checked my data from that day

Session 01
COLD​
HOT​
F:33.036.0
R:30.334.7

Session 02
F:n/a38.0
R:n/a35.9

n/a - meaning I didn't bother to check new PSI before heading out for Sess 2

But your point is well taken and makes sense. I'll be bumping up the PSI for street to 36 F & R
Waiting for the ambient temp in So Cal to calm down a bit before another track day

@HayaWakened Nice data. A faster rebound will also help the front end track better as well. For my riding style I run stupid fast rebound. Ever seen Dave Moss videos on tire wear? You can see how slow or fast your rebound should be based on the wear of the edges of the groves on the tire. If the leading edge of the Grove is too low rebound is too fast. If the trailing edge is too low then rebound is too slow. Leading edge is the side of the tire groove that touches the road first during a tire revolution. Perfect tire wear is leading and trailing edge are the same height.

I had not set suspension for this day. The sag had been set ages ago, but not again for this session.
Next track day gonna spend the $$ for a suspension setup. You probably know this but FYI to others, a $60-ish suspension session at the track provided by vendors is good for the whole track day, meaning you can return to the vendor, provide input, they'll make adjustments, and you go out again. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. I did not know this at the time of this session, else I woulda forked over the moolah

Have you taken any racing courses?

Many times when taking these courses you can sign up for a mentorship who can help guide you through the process for setting up you and your bike for the track...

You will find riding a bike as powerful and heavy as a Hayabusa will be a challenge....some people might say the easiest route would be to pick up a 600 or 1000 bike which out of the box is pretty decent on a track. I say it will be a fun time for you to try and tame the beast out there...

I've been crunching those numbers since that track day. I could find a way to pick up a 3rd bike (and it would be a 600); the prob is space, as in where would I keep it.

In the meanwhile, I fall under the @fallenarch category: take this time to learn more about this phenom bike. Because for me, it's not about the track, it IS about the bike.

Meanwhile, I saw my first Gen 2.5 today at a local dealer. White. This dealer received 4, none of them pre-sold, all of them gone in 3 days. Very beautiful machine. Ranks 2nd IMHO, right behind Gen 2's. :cool:

I've been crunching those numbers since that track day. I could find a way to pick up a 3rd bike (and it would be a 600); the prob is space, as in where would I keep it.

In the meanwhile, I fall under the @fallenarch category: take this time to learn more about this phenom bike. Because for me, it's not about the track, it IS about the bike.

Meanwhile, I saw my first Gen 2.5 today at a local dealer. White. This dealer received 4, none of them pre-sold, all of them gone in 3 days. Very beautiful machine. Ranks 2nd IMHO, right behind Gen 2's. :cool:
You have this to aspire to.....

Thought I had posted this already.

WARNING: this is painful to watch. I am slow. Used engine braking, very little levers. Learning the lines. FYI

Not bad! My first track video was even slower than that. Looks like you are turning in late on some of those turns. Following the instructor is a good way to learn the ropes. I learned riding too slow on the track is a great way to develop bad habits. For me, I was notoriously short-shifting the Busa. Last track day I did I got that worked out.

Oops forgot to hit the post button on this one.

Have you taken any racing courses?
On my bucket list, but they can get pretty pricey. There's a bunch of 'em here in Calif, local and up north, and a reputable one in Vegas which is only 3 hrs for me.

Racing school was actually in my orig plan. Hit the track 3-4 times/mo, go to school, get a Gixxer, mod it out...now I'm waiting for a rich relative to kick. That's a viable option at my age.

On my bucket list, but they can get pretty pricey. There's a bunch of 'em here in Calif, local and up north, and a reputable one in Vegas which is only 3 hrs for me.

Racing school was actually in my orig plan. Hit the track 3-4 times/mo, go to school, get a Gixxer, mod it out...now I'm waiting for a rich relative to kick. That's a viable option at my age.
Racing school will make all the difference....once you get the technique down pat wrestling the big 'ol boat around the track will be much easier...

Back