Planned Track Mods - Please Opine

Has anyone ever shortened the wheelbase?

Search around the forum. Years ago someone used I think one of the CBR generation swingarms to lose one inch. Then some have changed up the sprockets to bring them to the limit of the chain adjuster. Someone took a chain link off as well.

I inquired with a custom swingarm maker about a short one, as all of the stock ones are longer. I got no response. Nobody ever responds anymore, even for a $1500 product.

Since settling the suspension while riding is a perpetual goal, then arguably having a great build on the suspension can bring the OEM setup to the edge of its performance and perhaps make it seem excessive to be the experimenter on an expensive swingarm project.

As I told the guy in the tech line who asked why I came to the track with a Busa, First, the Busa is a fairly accomplished turner, if not the equal of a true sports bike. Second, I went to the track to learn how to ride the Busa better, not to become a racer.

Anyway, someone already said it but the main prep for the track is to get the suspension setup right. This will impact turning, accelerating, braking and confidence. A day on the track with Ohlins will make you giggle at the haters that think they are just expensive bling.

Personally, I like the Busa wheelbase. There are few turns on the tracks I have ridden that I feel my skill outruns the bike's capabilities. And the long-wheelbase is awesome when you want to come out of a turn on the gas.

I don't see using engine braking much on a track. It can help reduce front-end dive, but the point on a track is to compress the time spent braking and extend the time spent accelerating. So on track, you use maximum braking with some lighter applications to adjust the attitude of the bike. You get on the brakes, get slowed down to the speed you need it to be, and then you get off them. On the road, the goal is conservation of momentum more than absolute speed so the braking strategies are quite different. When I ride fast on the road I don't really use the brakes that much, it's mostly engine braking and getting set up in the right gear.

Still, a track day is a chance to experience your Busa with a lot fewer limits to worry about than exist on the street. Funny though when I got back from the track I felt really constrained on the road for a month or so. When you roll into a track corner, there are like 33-4 lanes of room plus run-off space too. It is eye-opening when you realize on the street you are threading an 8' wide needle.

aka My Slow Track Build

Planning to dedicate a '14 Gen 2 to track-only riding for a 12 mo period. Here's a starting mod list
  • Braided Lines
  • Brembo Brake MC (the 17? Or the 19?)
    • + EBC sintered HH
  • Rear Sets (suggestions?)
  • Tires
    • Dunlop Q4?
    • Mich Power Cup?
    • Pirelli?
    • Go 200 rear?
  • Saddlemen Track CF
  • 17/45 sprockets (+chain)
  • A suspension session (local)
Thoughts/comments requested
I will say with the saddlemen while I love it especially for being able to ride long distance the one complaint I have is it does raise u up so if your looking to tuck it takes up out of the pocket some. I see someone else brought up the 1 inch raising links and when I put them on my 14 I did find it felt better in the turns. I just installed a set of power gp which is one step down from the power cup I believe and I do find I'm liking them so I'm guessing the power cup would do well on the track.

As I told the guy in the tech line who asked why I came to the track with a Busa, First, the Busa is a fairly accomplished turner, if not the equal of a true sports bike. Second, I went to the track to learn how to ride the Busa better, not to become a racer.

Anyway, someone already said it but the main prep for the track is to get the suspension setup right. This will impact turning, accelerating, braking and confidence. A day on the track with Ohlins will make you giggle at the haters that think they are just expensive bling.

Personally, I like the Busa wheelbase. There are few turns on the tracks I have ridden that I feel my skill outruns the bike's capabilities. And the long-wheelbase is awesome when you want to come out of a turn on the gas.

I don't see using engine braking much on a track. It can help reduce front-end dive, but the point on a track is to compress the time spent braking and extend the time spent accelerating. So on track, you use maximum braking with some lighter applications to adjust the attitude of the bike. You get on the brakes, get slowed down to the speed you need it to be, and then you get off them. On the road, the goal is conservation of momentum more than absolute speed so the braking strategies are quite different. When I ride fast on the road I don't really use the brakes that much, it's mostly engine braking and getting set up in the right gear.

Still, a track day is a chance to experience your Busa with a lot fewer limits to worry about than exist on the street. Funny though when I got back from the track I felt really constrained on the road for a month or so. When you roll into a track corner, there are like 33-4 lanes of room plus run-off space too. It is eye-opening when you realize on the street you are threading an 8' wide needle.
I agree with the Busa wheelbase. I find it doesn't need to be shortened by changing swingarms. Now with a change in rake on the front by dropping the forks a few mm and adjusting the rear swingarm angle that will shorten the wheelbase some. My bike wants to turn faster than what my skill and suspension allows. Bike geometry is a huge improvement in performance, a change of 1mm makes drastic changes. Quite eye opening experience, especially for rear swingarm adjustments at the shock length. Getting that squat to anti squat levels just right takes time and minute adjustments to get it just right between traction and tire slide, I do enjoy sliding that rear tire though.

I definitely feel like it could be a decent track bike if you dropped X>50lbs...biggest issue IMO is weight and nimble "flick-ability". Has anyone ever shortened the wheelbase?
I'm going for minimum without modifying the axle slots. It could be done with a stock length chain and a larger rear sprocket. I tested a 47T rear sprocket with the stock chain and stock engine sprocket but it pulled the wheel forward too far to get the axle through. It looks like a 46T would have been just about right. I'm pretty sure my 18/47 sprockets with stock length chain setup will work after I switch in the Schnitz raising links. If the axle is pulled all the way forward, that's only about a half inch less wheelbase from stock. Members here were telling me that probably won't make a big difference in handling. I knew of a guy who used a dremmel to extend his axle slots forward to achieve a shorter wheelbase on his ZX-14. I don't think that made a big enough difference for him as he was later looking for a way to retrofit a ZX-10 swing arm.

I'm gonna track the Busa for that test and if the bug is still biting ... I will have to acquire yet another bike just for track days
Not "if," "when." :D If you have the money, you'll be getting a liter bike or a 600 for the track.

@Ac41 : his vids are my holy grail.

Taking the MSF course today/tomorrow. Wait, what? Track day then MSF? Bass ackwards, yes. I should have retired years ago
Yeah like him I raced 600s and a few others and comfortable riding above limitations that's just part of racing with sport bike's even if in stock form but they crash well with minimal expect repair costs same as the rider. Just wasting a track opportunity choosing to take a busa I'd recommend a cheap 650

Yeah like him I raced 600s and a few others and comfortable riding above limitations that's just part of racing with sport bike's even if in stock form but they crash well with minimal expect repair costs same as the rider. Just wasting a track opportunity choosing to take a busa I'd recommend a cheap 650
There are a few Busas which do well at the track.

I think the OP is bound and determined to take his Busa to the track.

This guy does pretty well too..

I never had the urge to race, just ride my pace faster and safer. I think people let the competitive spirit get the best of them with track days. It makes all the sense in the world to go to the track to get to know the capabilities of the bike you ride 90% of the time. That's why I never moved up into the higher classes except for the time I lapped the entire field and managed to follow the coach around the course twice as he slowly upped the pace.

Some go to the track to learn to race and to see what their ultimate limits are. I went to learn the Busa and understand its limits better, as well as how to ride safer. I would love to get the BMW on the track. I would surprise a few sportbikes as I turned right under their out-stretched knees sitting upright and whistling as I listen to music. haha

I never had the urge to race, just ride my pace faster and safer. I think people let the competitive spirit get the best of them with track days. It makes all the sense in the world to go to the track to get to know the capabilities of the bike you ride 90% of the time. That's why I never moved up into the higher classes except for the time I lapped the entire field and managed to follow the coach around the course twice as he slowly upped the pace.

Some go to the track to learn to race and to see what their ultimate limits are. I went to learn the Busa and understand its limits better, as well as how to ride safer. I would love to get the BMW on the track. I would surprise a few sportbikes as I turned right under their out-stretched knees sitting upright and whistling as I listen to music. haha
I recall the days I was racing superbike on my GSXR...I was also in the military and was very fit but was still wiped right out after a race....that racing stuff is sure hard on the body.

I got invited to a Suzuki track day to ride some new bikes a few years back. I hopped on a GSXR 750 and went out like the barn was on fire....the pace guy and I got into a race and I ended up passing him and pulling away...when I got into the pits, the sponsor came over, took my pass and asked me to leave quietly. I've never received and invitation again....I guess racing and passing the pace guy is a big "no-no" even if he initiates the race...

not recommending bmw650 but suzuki sv650 or kawa er650 v twins I recon you would learn more about riding properly from these bikes, they are very cheap, safe and forgiving and have to do something stupid to fall off (talking safety margins) @Ac41 has no safety margins he's on the limit probably going through new tyres like there's no tomorrow.
I guess learning your bike vs learning riding skills are two different things

not recommending bmw650 but suzuki sv650 or kawa er650 v twins I recon you would learn more about riding properly from these bikes, they are very cheap, safe and forgiving and have to do something stupid to fall off (talking safety margins) @Ac41 has no safety margins he's on the limit probably going through new tyres like there's no tomorrow.
I guess learning your bike vs learning riding skills are two different things
My BMW is a 1250 GS. I once had an SV650 and that is a really great bike to begin the learning curve for a racing career.

1622348171904.png

A good back protector, braided lines, good brake pads, and see about setting the static sag would be my tops.
It’s been a while since I’ve been on a track, but man those things there are musts.

also stock up on tires.
I wear a back protector religiously and saved my back from getting smashed probably about 7 years ago but I never forget it was mandatory at the track so it just crossed over to using for road riding. just amazing how much impact they absorb

Back