Pilot power report

mjn

Hillbilly Deluxe
Donating Member
Registered
With 950 miles on my new set of Powers, the center is only down to 6/32nds, just 1/32nd less than when I put them on. The sides, however are at 3/32nds from the wearbars. Like a dumbarse, I didn't measure the side wearbars prior to puting miles on it....

They DO stick like glue tho..thanks everyone for talking me into getting them...much improvement over the 56's. Haven't felt them spin on corner exits like the 56's would..

Anyone have a fresh PP that can give me a measurement to the side wearbars? I'd like to see if the sides are going away as fast as it appears....

Having worked for Michelin North America in the past, but not knowing the overall 32nd tread depth, I'm taking an educated guess that it has a variable tread depth like the MX Pilot GT.

They likely have a harder compund at the center (typically majority of riding done here) vs. the edges where maximum grip is required and a promoted feature of the PP and therefore a softer compund is being utilized.

Looks like you are doing a good amount of carving the corners.

<!--EDIT|Over_Easy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153500737 -->

I wanna carve somethin!!!! Biggest twisties i find where i live is the cloverleaf on/off ramp's to the interstate!! I got those puppies mastered!!!
cool.gif

I wanna carve somethin!!!!  Biggest twisties i find where i live is the cloverleaf on/off ramp's to the interstate!!  I got those puppies mastered!!!
cool.gif
Having worked for Michelin in Houston I can confirm but Lord knows there are plenty of those around the concrete city to tame.

I wanna carve somethin!!!!  Biggest twisties i find where i live is the cloverleaf on/off ramp's to the interstate!!  I got those puppies mastered!!!
cool.gif
Having worked for Michelin in Houston I can confirm but Lord knows there are plenty of those around the concrete city to tame.
Thats it!! Im on a mission. I will master EVERY on/off ramp in this city!! There's not a ramp safe in this city anymore!!

Ill report my results soon!!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Thanks guys..  I will admit...the first 900 miles were our ride thru Oregon last weekend, and we did have a curve or two.

over_easy, I think you are right regarding the harder compound in the center..  I could just kick myself for not measuring the side depth before I left.  All I can say is the sides show much more wear than the center...

I think it has something to do with trying to keep up with Bentvalve and ZXmurphy on thier literbikes...:D

<!--EDIT|mjn
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153501726 -->

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Thanks guys..  I will admit...the first 900 miles were our ride thru Oregon last weekend, and we did have a curve or two.

over_easy, I think you are right regarding the harder compound in the center..  I could just kick myself for not measuring the side depth before I left.  All I can say is the sides show much more wear than the center...

I think it has something to do with trying to keep up with Bentvalve and ZXmurphy on thier literbikes...:D
I forgot about your amazing journey (I'm jealous) recently and that kind of riding would definitely induce a faster wear pattern ont the edges.

Michelin knows that people that buy this tire are sold on their sticky cornering ability and Michelin uses a very soft compund here to back up their claims, even if it's at the cost of tread wear. Also, the first 32nd wears out very fast.

laugh.gif

Agreed...I think it stands to reason that the sides wouldn't have started with as deep a tread as the center....I'd just like to know if I really had more wear on the sides than the center....'cause that is what it looks like!
tounge.gif

Agreed...I think it stands to reason that the sides wouldn't have started with as deep a tread as the center....I'd just like to know if I really had more wear on the sides than the center....'cause that is what it looks like!
tounge.gif
Maybe somebody here knows the OE tread depth...if not call a local dealer who sells them and ask them for it.

If they get lazy, tell them you may be interested in buying a set and need to know. Any reputable tire guy at the dealer should know off the top of their head, especially for the MX PP.

So...
wow.gif

MJN...

Would you say, that they...

are wearing better than....

say....
rock.gif

er...
devil.gif

<marquee>
rock.gif
BUELL GLOVES
rock.gif
</marquee>

tounge.gif
BAAHAHAHAHA  
ices_rofl.gif

argue.gif

Sorry to the rest of the members, but I had to do this. We may now return to the prior informative thread responses...  
face7.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

I think you'll find the same tread depth all the way around the tire?

The PP's are not dual compound unless they have changed them recently. Michelin makes dual compound race tires but none of the street tires are dual compound to my knowledge.

You are correct, the michelins are an improvement over the stock 56's. The 56 has been on the market since back in the nineties. I wouldn't be surprised if it is discontinued in the near future. The only place I've ever seen a 56 is on a stock busa.

Sounds like you rode those puppies pretty hard there dude?

So...
wow.gif

MJN...

Would you say, that they...

are wearing better than....

say....
rock.gif

er...
devil.gif

<marquee>
rock.gif
BUELL GLOVES
rock.gif
</marquee>

tounge.gif
BAAHAHAHAHA  
ices_rofl.gif

argue.gif

Sorry to the rest of the members, but I had to do this. We may now return to the prior informative thread responses...  
face7.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Alright you blankety-blank so-and-so!!!

ya know....I almost bought a new pair of gloves prior to this trip......but then I thought....Nah! The old Buell gloves fit sooo well....

When I do finally break down and get a set....you'll be the first to know!
tounge.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

laugh.gif

tounge.gif

I think you'll find the same tread depth all the way around the tire?

The PP's are not dual compound unless they have changed them recently. Michelin makes dual compound race tires but none of the street tires are dual compound to my knowledge.

You are correct, the michelins are an improvement over the stock 56's. The 56 has been on the market since back in the nineties. I wouldn't be surprised if it is discontinued in the near future. The only place I've ever seen a 56 is on a stock busa.

Sounds like you rode those puppies pretty hard there dude?
Man.....if they had the same depth all across the tread.......

I'm gonna have to do more straight riding!

Nah.  I like turning corners!

I'll bet SG's tires show some significant wear as well....

Not to mention BV and ZXmurphy and BABUSA...they were railin' too!

<!--EDIT|mjn
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153522927 -->

I'm just a bit PO'd cause I didn't get my special glove pic on this trip!
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Really just jealous. Looks like you guys had a great time. Awesome people make for good times! (even if you are all left-coasters!)
beerchug.gif

I'm just a bit PO'd cause I didn't get my special glove pic on this trip!
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Really just jealous. Looks like you guys had a great time. Awesome people make for good times! (even if you are all left-coasters!)
beerchug.gif
you are so right man....it IS the people that make the difference.

I couldn't have asked for a better group.

...   The sides, however are at 3/32nds from the wearbars.  
From my unscientific measurements with my choice of crappy, back-to-school rulers, I'd say it's really no more than 3/32nds.
On a fresh tire? That'd make me feel better....if I had removed significant amounts from the sides in just 900 miles.....wouldn't say much for longevity. I'd like it to last as long as my last B56, which was about 2200.

Back