Passenger Question

busaguy1981

Registered
I'm sure it varys from state to state, but is there a age limit on a passenger on the back. My little boy begs to ride, but he's only 3 and i'm not sure if there even is an age limit. Not sure i want him back there yet, but could let him ride between me and tank on back roads i guess. Anybody know anything about this?

In wisconsin there is no age limit. My daughter started riding when she was 5. The state law here says that there feet must reach the intended footrest and that they must wear a helmet.

I ride him around in the yard sometimes, but that isn't good enough anymore. He thinks santa clause is gunna bring him one for christmas. I'm in trouble.

in NC I believe the law is now 16 at least the last time I heard they were attempting to pass it. Pretty sure the law of common sense says if they cant touch the pegs, they shouldnt leave the yard ;)

This issue hits home with me. My daughter is 6 and she's very tall. She has no problems reaching the pegs and then some. I'm itching to take her out some day to see if she likes it but the wife absolutely refuses. I also wanted to drop her off at school on the bike, but again the wife refuses. Her school is literally 3 blocks away in a 100% residential area. I don't even have to leave my neighborhood to get from my house to the school. Not one point along the path is the speed limit higher than 20 mph. I'm not sure what the big issue is. We ride our bicycles up there all the time on the exact same roads. I think she's ready to ride, but I got vetoed. Common sense tells me that she doesn't belong on the back during a highway run, but a purely residential 20 mph zone doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Whatever you do, I hope you feel confident in your decision and do the right thing with safety gear. Good luck.

in NC I believe the law is now 16 at least the last time I heard they were attempting to pass it. Pretty sure the law of common sense says if they cant touch the pegs, they shouldnt leave the yard ;)

Are you sure it isn't 16 to operate the bike? I believe he is talking about riding on the back, not actually riding the bike.

I dont think there are laws about age to be a passenger. But as everyone has said common sense prevails. I guess if she cant ride on the back, between you and the tank should be fine, that way you could hold her there and keep her in control.

Would never take him on the highway. Would never forgive myself if something happened to my baby. Not worried about my driving, just the drivers around me. Just kinda wondering what the laws are , and to see what the other members have experinced.

I have had a boat load of bikes.
As soon as I got this one, I made a rule: NO PASSENGERS EVER!
I can vouch for myself that I want to do what I am doing, but the increased number of a$$ holes in cages, and the potential that this machine has, in a clear consience, I can't take anyone. Day 1, I took off the rear seat and rear pegs, and rear grab bar, put on the hump and that's it. No reason to argue with anyone, they just don't fit on.
JMO

Last I heard it was 80lbs.
Dunno how they would measure that though.

Not sure in Oklahoma, I used to take my son to Church and School all the time on the
back of my bike. He loved it, and I made him wear gear. But, he could reach the pegs.

closepic.jpg

I ride him around in the yard sometimes, but that isn't good enough anymore. He thinks santa clause is gunna bring him one for christmas. I'm in trouble.

Really needs to learn to ride a bicycle first but, Yamaha PW50s with parent adjustable throttle stops are great things.:thumbsup:

Back